Why become a member? ×

Bruce Foxton

molan

I was watching a Weller documentary this evening and listening to just how good Foxton was in his heyday.

There's a period when he switched to playing the black Fender P with a maple neck live (although still sometimes using a Ricky for music vids & TV appearances) when he just had a great bass sound. Sounds a bit like a Ricky with the clanky top end but with a bit more depth. I love the sound of his bass on songs like Tube Station.

I have to admit that I have no idea what he actually used on the recordings but there's quite a few live vids showing him with the P so it definitely seems to be his favourite gigging bass from this period.

Sound on this vid isn't the best but gives an idea of what I'm rattling on about :

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiHv_VZFJR8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiHv_VZFJR8[/url]

& from a TV show:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGsyL6DhgPU&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGsyL6DhgPU...feature=related[/url]

[quote name='molan' post='334191' date='Nov 22 2008, 12:33 AM']I was watching a Weller documentary this evening and listening to just how good Foxton was in his heyday.

There's a period when he switched to playing the black Fender P with a maple neck live (although still sometimes using a Ricky for music vids & TV appearances) when he just had a great bass sound. Sounds a bit like a Ricky with the clanky top end but with a bit more depth. I love the sound of his bass on songs like Tube Station.

I have to admit that I have no idea what he actually used on the recordings but there's quite a few live vids showing him with the P so it definitely seems to be his favourite gigging bass from this period.

Sound on this vid isn't the best but gives an idea of what I'm rattling on about :

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiHv_VZFJR8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiHv_VZFJR8[/url]

& from a TV show:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGsyL6DhgPU&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGsyL6DhgPU...feature=related[/url][/quote]

Good documentary! His bass playing added a lot to the Jam songs IMO...

[quote name='acidbass' post='334222' date='Nov 22 2008, 02:47 AM']I believe he also used an Ibanez 4001 copy for some of their stuff?[/quote]

The bass he was using before the band were signed, and for some of the work on the debut album, In The City - he's pictured with it on the back cover. My understanding he mainly used Rickenbacker or Fender until he picked up the MusicMan before recording Sound Affects and the Aria before recording The Gift - although studio photographs from the time suggest he was never far from the black/maple Precision. The last live performance The Jam gave, he used the Aria - which was his main bass during his solo career.

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' post='334304' date='Nov 22 2008, 11:28 AM']When I was younger, Bruce Foxton was God....the reason I play bass.

Still sounds as good as sound as ever for a Precision 30 years later.[/quote]

Same here. I went out and bought a bass after listening to All Mod Cons. What a player :)

[quote name='tombboy' post='334283' date='Nov 22 2008, 10:47 AM']This is From The Jam last year.... even though Weller isn't there I still think it's a class effort.
[/quote]

Sounds great, still absolutely spot on bass & unmistakeably Foxton.

I got a set of signed Rotosounds from him once in Denmark Street. Refused to use them for years and then broke a string just before a gig so had to whip them out. Still kept the signed box of course :)

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' post='334304' date='Nov 22 2008, 11:28 AM']When I was younger, Bruce Foxton was God....the reason I play bass.[/quote]

And me. I saw From the Jam in Nottingham last year, and his playing is as great as ever. So many of the Jam's songs have great basslines. I actually played on a Jam set at a Charity gig on Wednesday (I even got to ''sing'' on Tube Station!), and the songs still get an amazing reception - even if most of the appreciation is 40+ year old blokes!

[quote name='simon1964' post='334351' date='Nov 22 2008, 12:16 PM']Incidentally, it always surprises me that Foxton doesn't get a writing credit on songs like Town Called Malice, Tube Station, Eton Rifles etc. Those songs are, in essence, the bassline.[/quote]

With respect to the material up to, and including, Setting Sons, this is a reasonable point - and was the subject of litigation brought by Foxton and Buckler, an action that was settled out of court. For Sound Affects and The Gift, Weller recorded writing demos, where he would play all the parts. It's interesting to compare the different playing approaches of Foxton and Weller on the few commercially available tracks that both recorded bass parts for, and when you realise that Weller's frustration with Foxton's playing concerned feel and looseness. Also, listening to the very early Style Council singles highlights that Weller was a good bass player in his own right - which, given that Foxton was a guitarist before converting to bass with The Jam, makes you wonder if they wouldn't have been happier switching instruments.

[quote name='noelk27' post='334359' date='Nov 22 2008, 12:39 PM']Also, listening to the very early Style Council singles highlights that Weller was a good bass player in his own right - which, given that Foxton was a guitarist before converting to bass with The Jam, makes you wonder if they wouldn't have been happier switching instruments.[/quote]

Interesting post. I didn't realise Weller payed bass on the early Style Counsel stuff - I'll have to have another listen.

Did I read soemwhere that when the Jam first formed Weller did indeed play bass, and Foxton guitar? I think they switched intruments someitme before they started to record.

As it happens, I'm seeing Paul Weller at the Nottingham Arena tonight - I'm hoping a couple of the old Jam numbers will make their way into the set!

[quote name='simon1964' post='334370' date='Nov 22 2008, 12:55 PM']Did I read soemwhere that when the Jam first formed Weller did indeed play bass, and Foxton guitar? I think they switched intruments someitme before they started to record.[/quote]

Yes, the original, settled line-up of The Jam was Steve Brookes, guitar; Bruce Foxton, guitar; Paul Weller, bass; and Rick Buckler, drums. Foxton made the switch to bass and Weller to guitar when Brookes left the band.

[quote name='iamthewalrus' post='334384' date='Nov 22 2008, 01:10 PM']Never knew Bruce used a Musicman - any pics anywhere?[/quote]

The MusicMan was one of the basses used for the Sound Affects recording sessions - and Foxton also used it at the time of his solo album, Touch Sensitive. I'll do my best to track down some artwork, but the only one I have on my desktop is Foxton using a EBMM Sub.

Edited by noelk27

I was gigging in Guildford one night about ten years ago when Mr Foxton walked into the pub. Funnily enough, we were in the middle of an acoustic set and we were playing "Tube Station" as he came in!

Anyway, he stood at the back of the pub and watched us until we finished our set. Then he came over, bought us all a beer, and sat with us 'til we had to go back on. He was a really nice guy, very modest and unassuming, and it was a pleasure to talk to him.

I've seen him a few times since around and about and he still remembers me each time. Top chap.

[quote name='simon1964' post='334370' date='Nov 22 2008, 12:55 PM']Interesting post. I didn't realise Weller payed bass on the early Style Counsel stuff - I'll have to have another listen.[/quote]
Yeah, I remember one of the first live TV appearances....on The Tube (or its replacement) doing "Long Hot Summer" and "The Paris Match" and he played an Aria.

[quote name='simon1964' post='334370' date='Nov 22 2008, 12:55 PM']Did I read soemwhere that when the Jam first formed Weller did indeed play bass, and Foxton guitar? I think they switched intruments someitme before they started to record.[/quote]

I'm sure in an old book I had of them, there's a photo of Weller playing an old violin bass methinks when they were a 4 piece.

[quote name='noelk27' post='334390' date='Nov 22 2008, 01:22 PM']Yes, the original, settled line-up of The Jam was Steve Brookes, guitar; Bruce Foxton, guitar; Paul Weller, bass; and Rick Buckler, drums. Foxton made the switch to bass and Weller to guitar when Brookes left the band.[/quote]

Doh! That'll teach me not to read the whole thread before replying.

I met foxton at a pub in my home village just outside of Newcastle it was around the time he was playing with SLF,i saw the documentary on weller the other night it was very good,i must admit i was very shocked by bruce,s appearence since i last saw him ,he looked like he,d had loads of botox and there was something very suspicious/cunning about his hair.An era defining bass player though, i take my hat off to bass players in a 3 piece set. All the jam classics are just brilliant,i still love the style council as well though.

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' post='334440' date='Nov 22 2008, 02:58 PM']I'm sure in an old book I had of them, there's a photo of Weller playing an old violin bass methinks when they were a 4 piece.[/quote]

The story goes that Foxton sat on it in the back of a transit on the way to a gig and broke the neck. Weller wasn't very happy and a fight broke out which ended up with Foxton getting a black eye!

There were some shots of him with the shiner on the documentary :)