Why become a member? ×

NAD - ashdown content!

Callumjord

So long story short, my Eden Wtx264 packed in right before a busy weekend of gigs. Luckily I was looking into upgrading my amp head as I found that the eden just doesn't have the power that I am after now that I am playing bigger venues now. So I decided to finally push the button on one of the new Ashdown RM500 evo amps. 

I haven't spent much time with it yet (I have only played it for just over an hour at bedroom level) but I am already really impressed with it. I have got a couple of gigs this coming month so I am looking forward to putting it through it's paces and maybe doing a full review on the amp. Keep your eyes peeled on this post. 

20180328_181940.jpg

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

Congrats, they are great amps. I`ve had loads of the Class D small amps but the RM is the only one that has the same weight and feel to the sound as larger amps, in my experience.

Yup, for louder gigs the RM is the only class D head I’d consider close to an old school A/B head. Great amps!

1 hour ago, Merton said:

Yup, for louder gigs the RM is the only class D head I’d consider close to an old school A/B head. Great amps!

Yeah, I keep considering going back to one of these as my backup amp and offloading my ABM1000. If I`m honest it`s purely the looks of the ABM that make me keep it, I like the sound of both amps but the RM is more practical as a backup, plus as an amp to rehearse with. Oh well, this thread has done me no good then, more gear evaluation to go on.

• Haha 1

I've sold all my ABM and other Ashdowns in favour of a pair of Rootmaster 800s (one evo, one not) as they are small and light enough for me to carry both over a should and leave both hands free to carry gear in and out of the venue. I am now experimenting with a SansAmp in place of the RMs' preamps, and so far it is working very well. The big test will be on Sunday, first gig with a new band in a larger venue. Should be interesting.

48 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Cheers Liam, both helpful and really not helping at the same time, takes talent, that.

Mwahahaha, my evil genius knows no bounds!!

That said, I haven't even looked at another bass amp since getting it, some 2 years ago. They really do tick a hell of a lot of boxes and I tried basically everything going before committing. 

8 hours ago, bassix said:

Mwahahaha, my evil genius knows no bounds!!

That said, I haven't even looked at another bass amp since getting it, some 2 years ago. They really do tick a hell of a lot of boxes and I tried basically everything going before committing. 

Yeah, and it was hearing your RM that made me get one. Ho-hum, something to keep the grey matter churning I suppose.

I bought an RM500 a couple of weeks ago and used it live last week for the first time.

It sounded great, although I need to sort out a couple of tweaks of the settings to get the sound I really want. There's plenty of scope for variation.

My only niggle's are  that it has no headphone output, apparently they are adding that to the next model that comes out and the front panel is a bit too shiny and you can't make out the control labels. But I suppose that's just something to get used to.

I play it through two Fender Rumble 1 x12's which have the magnets to hold the Rumble amp in position, these also grip the Rootmasters metal casing and there's no chance of the amp vibrating or getting pulled off!             

Overall I'm really pleased with it!

10 hours ago, Bass Fumbler said:

I bought an RM500 a couple of weeks ago and used it live last week for the first time.

It sounded great, although I need to sort out a couple of tweaks of the settings to get the sound I really want. There's plenty of scope for variation.

My only niggle's are  that it has no headphone output, apparently they are adding that to the next model that comes out and the front panel is a bit too shiny and you can't make out the control labels. But I suppose that's just something to get used to.

I play it through two Fender Rumble 1 x12's which have the magnets to hold the Rumble amp in position, these also grip the Rootmasters metal casing and there's no chance of the amp vibrating or getting pulled off!             

Overall I'm really pleased with it!

That interest me greatly 

On 02/04/2018 at 21:41, Chienmortbb said:

Seriously considering one of these myself. Should have done at the South West Bass Bash next week so looks like my overdraft will be maxed out soon.

500 or 800 that is the question.

Well the 500 has bucketloads of volume, so unless you`re playing very large stages and aren`t keen on bass in the monitors, the 500 should be plenty for your needs.