Why become a member? ×

What CDs have you bought lately?

mcgraham

Whilst browsing in Fopp I bought:

James Brown - The Definitive Collection
Squarepusher - Ultravisitor
Zero 7 - The Garden

I was tempted to get Miles Davis - Kind of Blue, or a collection of his 'greatest hits', however I'm presently bored of jazz. Not what I want to buy, listen to or play at the minute. I wanted something with a groove, something with a pulse. Hence why I bought these.

Mark

Raphael Saadiq's latest offering- 'The Way I see it' Its an absolutely stunning album. Purely retrospective encompassing Motown, Stax and Hot Wax sounds. So, it grooves hard!

And if you're not familiar with Saadiq, he is a very talented and ubiquitous producer and monster bass player with a strong Jamerson influence. He also handles drum, bass, guitar and vocal duties on this record.

Easy,

Jay

Edited by jmanfunk

[quote name='mcgraham' post='333848' date='Nov 21 2008, 02:09 PM']I was tempted to get Miles Davis - Kind of Blue,

I wanted something with a groove, something with a pulse[/quote]

And your problem is?

I keep meaning to send you some more Latin stuff but my CD reader has been kernackered and I couldn't get the stuff MP3'd and fit for travel. I just got a new usb cd burner so I will have another try...

As for me, this month's purchases are;

Joshua Redman - Moodswing
Lee Morgan - The Cooker
Abbey Lincoln - That's Him
Red Garland - Groovy (all three for my Paul Chambers research)
Ohad Talmor - The Other Quartet - Sound Stains
Stravinsky - Rite of Spring (upgrading from vinyl)
Dave Grusin - West Side Story (replacing a lost gem)

[quote name='mcgraham' post='333848' date='Nov 21 2008, 02:09 PM']I was tempted to get Miles Davis - Kind of Blue, or a collection of his 'greatest hits', however I'm presently bored of jazz. Not what I want to buy, listen to or play at the minute. I wanted something with a groove, something with a pulse. Hence why I bought these.[/quote]

?

Everyone should have Kind of Blue in their collection, and at FOPP proces there's no excuse.

Lyle Lovett and Large Band (some nice walking bass and excellent vocals)
Joan Osborne (Little Wild One) mostly originals with Mark Egan playing bass on some songs
Lizanne Knott (South of Graceland) consistently good songwriting.

I'm really into female singer/songwriters.... just about to get Joan Osborne's last covers album, Breakfast in Bed too.

[quote name='jmanfunk' post='333857' date='Nov 21 2008, 02:26 PM']Raphael Saadiq's latest offering- 'The Way I see it' Its an absolutely stunning album. Purely retrospective encompassing Motown, Stax and Hot Wax sounds. So, it grooves hard!

And if you're not familiar with Saadiq, he is a very talented and ubiquitous producer and monster bass player with a strong Jamerson influence. He also handles drum, bass, guitar and vocal duties on this record.

[url="http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=968Tbbp4LW0"]http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=968Tbbp4LW0[/url]

[url="http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=ghzzDBXgV7A"]http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=ghzzDBXgV7A[/url]

Easy,

Jay[/quote]

I'm liking this, could add it to my Xmas list along with Eli "Paperboy" Jones and Solange too

[quote]And your problem is?[/quote]

Sorry Bilbo, I'm not meaning to put it down. I'm just not in the mood for it at the moment. Nothing wrong with the music, but right now it's not what I'm after, so I didn't get it. Simple as that really.

I'll get it eventually don't worry :)

Mark

Im tempted by the Santogold album.
Ive bought a few as it was my birthday
I bought:

Danny and the Champions of the World (self titled)- beautiful and really uplifting
The Best of Gong- (I liked the cover and I keep being told I should check them out)
Michah P Hinson- (not sure on title, awesome album)
Cafe Penguin Orchestra- Signs of Life. good so far.
Arcade Fire- Neon Bible.
LCD Sound system album (dunno what its called

[quote name='mcgraham' post='333882' date='Nov 21 2008, 02:47 PM']Sorry Bilbo, I'm not meaning to put it down. I'm just not in the mood for it at the moment. Nothing wrong with the music, but right now it's not what I'm after, so I didn't get it. Simple as that really.

I'll get it eventually don't worry :huh:

Mark[/quote]

:) I have bought it three times!!

They had a coffee table style Limited (Re)edition of it too. It had a coffee table stylee book, numerous CD's, associated bumf, AND what appeared to be a 'blue' vinyl LP still in its original sleeve/jacket. I assume these are being distributed with these packs as New Old Stick collector edition vinyls.

Mark

[quote name='mcgraham' post='333888' date='Nov 21 2008, 02:52 PM']They had a coffee table style Limited (Re)edition of it too. It had a coffee table stylee book, numerous CD's, associated bumf, AND what appeared to be a 'blue' vinyl LP still in its original sleeve/jacket. I assume these are being distributed with these packs as New Old Stick collector edition vinyls.

Mark[/quote]

This fella, I assume

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Miles-Davis-Kind-Anniversary-Collectors/dp/B001D08SK0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1227279325&sr=8-2"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Miles-Davis-Kind-A...9325&sr=8-2[/url]

I have all of its constituent parts so have no need to buy it but, for a completist, it is good value (the Robert Herridge DVD has some lovely Davis/Gil Evans and some of the best video footage of Paul Chambers that is out there. The Kind Of Blue DVD with all the names on it got my back up because the only mention Chambers got was one reference to say that he was on it - nothing about the absolutely crucial contribution that he made to the integrity of the sextet's performances).

Edited by bilbo230763

Last one I bought (well, sort of) was the new Munroe Effect EP, 'You Are Goldmouth'. Keep meaning to pick up the new Bloc Party album, anyone got it? I liked what I heard of it on the Channel 4 show they did.

[quote name='yorks5stringer' post='333874' date='Nov 21 2008, 02:36 PM']I'm really into female singer/songwriters.... just about to get Joan Osborne's last covers album, Breakfast in Bed too.[/quote]

Yeah thats a goodie Did you get her one called Relish? Love that one too.

[quote name='OldGit' post='333909' date='Nov 21 2008, 03:21 PM']Yeah thats a goodie Did you get her one called Relish? Love that one too.[/quote]

Apparently Little Wild One is meant to be a return to Relish type songs/success, as it is written and produced by the same team.
Had a JO fest yesterday on youtube hence found out about Breakfast in Bed.
Also got How Sweet It Is when that came out, ditto Relish.

She also does a couple of songs on Standing in the Shadows of Motown, I have the DVD and CD!

I subcribe to [url="http://www.napster.co.uk/ntg.html"]Napster To Go[/url], which means I can legitimately download as many albums I like. I find this a great way of trying things out.

This week I downloaded and am enjoying...

Razorlight 'Slipway Fires'
Status Quo 'Pictures: 40 years of hits'
Ryan Adams 'Cardinology'
Robert Wyatt 'Rock Bottom'
Joey Ryan 'with its roots above and its branches below'
Motown Legacy: The songs of Norman Whitfield'

But I didn't like some others, such as Katey Melua, so I deleted them.

As I type, I am downloading the new Dido and Girls Aloud albums.

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='333928' date='Nov 21 2008, 03:51 PM']I subcribe to [url="http://www.napster.co.uk/ntg.html"]Napster To Go[/url], which means I can legitimately download as many albums I like. I find this a great way of trying things out.

This week I downloaded and am enjoying...

Razorlight 'Slipway Fires'
Status Quo 'Pictures: 40 years of hits'
Ryan Adams 'Cardinology'
Robert Wyatt 'Rock Bottom'
Joey Ryan 'with its roots above and its branches below'
Motown Legacy: The songs of Norman Whitfield'

But I didn't like some others, such as Katey Melua, so I deleted them.

As I type, I am downloading the new Dido and Girls Aloud albums.[/quote]

Are you allowed/able to burn them onto CD's?