Why become a member? ×

Etiquette involved using someone else's rig at a gig ?

Les

My only stipulations to people using my gear are don`t blow it up and don`t put any drinks on it. When using other peoples gear I follow those same rules. I always thank the other bassist for letting me use their rig/cab/amp etc. On the originals circuit it`s so much easier if gear-share is accomodated and arranged, some turn up and seem to expect it, though in all honesty you get to know who they are. Likewise you get some who don`t say thanks afterwards, but never judge on the one occaison as they may be caught up in other stuff - I`ve had this happen, yet the next time the same band/bassist have turned up they couldn`t have been friendlier or more thankful, you never knwo what`s going on on the day in question.

The two most common formats we play as a metal originals band are either  '4x 30min slots with 15min changeovers' if it's just local bands, or '2x 25min local supports, 1x 45min main / possibly touring support, 1x 1h15min touring headline' if it's a bigger show with a name you'd recognise at the top of the bill. Sorting out gear share with the local bands is expected and usually easy enough; just a case of sending them a message on whatever social media they use and getting a conversation going wherein we end up with everybody contributing something and no surprises on the night. Of course, it's still polite to introduce yourself and say thanks in person, but any questions about what you can and can't do with said gear are usually already asked and answered, and I've never given or received beer etc. as a token of appreciation because it's always been part of a bigger package deal where their bandmates are benefitting in some way, too.

You really have to rely on the promoter for the bigger shows, though, and they have a nasty habit of promising things without asking. More than a couple of times I've had to get my phone out and show a guy the messages where his gear has been offered for use without his knowledge, and although we've always managed to work something out, one time it was by pure chance that the other local support band knew a guy who lived nearby, had a bass cab and owed them a favour; the touring band wasn't having any of it and the promoter who'd promised use of their gear was nowhere to be found!

When amp heads, power cables and extensions start to be shared, my nagging and overly pessimistic worry is less about the damage a user could inflict on my gear and more the reverse. Specifically that despite all my gear down to the last flex being well looked after and regularly visually inspected in line with PAT regulations (I'm trained to be "competent" through work but don't have the qualification myself or own a calibrated tester), if something I owned developed such a catastrophic fault during use that it electrocuted a complete stranger who happened to be playing through it, on a purely practical level, setting aside profound feelings of guilt etc. I simply don't have the insurance to cover that. To that end, I'll lend a cabinet but anything else gets an unequivocal 'no' these days.

In 30 years of playing nobody has ever bought me a pint for using my rig and I've had a fair few walk off without even saying thanks. There's some great advice on here and many players would be wise to adopt it. 

My two penneth is 1) say thanks and 2) don't assume. I'd echo the points on pints resting on the amp. It's never happened but I do wonder if anything got damaged how readily the other party would pay. But then all that said, in 30yrs nothing has gone wrong.

6 minutes ago, Cat Burrito said:

In 30 years of playing nobody has ever bought me a pint for using my rig and I've had a fair few walk off without even saying thanks.

I will rectify that situation should you ever lend me your rig mate.

On 3/28/2018 at 20:48, The59Sound said:

Never trust a promoter - cut out the middle man and talk directly to the other bands. 

In practice, you're right. But shouldn't it be the promoter's job to sort out those details? It's their show after all!

I'm rarely in that situation these days, but we used to play a lot of multiband gigs and I hated that email addressed to all the bands asking for the bands to arrange gear share among themselves. I'm bringing my own, thanks, and I don't want to be held hostage for the whole night when we only got a 30-40min slot... For that, the little MarkBass CMD121P combo was fantastic.

If you play regularly that kind of multiband gigs that include a few local bands, you soon find that band who always manage to borrow everything and not provide anything. At one point I felt we were asked to play by certain promoter purely because we were generally happy to provide backline. The gigs were not great, so we stopped providing for others and just show with our stuff, play and go. Of course, we're no longer playing with that guy... ;) It doesn't hurt either.

On 3/25/2018 at 15:52, Lozz196 said:

You never knwo what`s going on on the day in question.

There's only a few things going on with me at gigs. A clear head, positive attitude and making sure everyone involved in the show is having a good time.

I can leave anything else alone for 4 hours 

Blue