Why become a member? ×

'E' Series MiJ '57 Precision - Help Decoding Neck Pocket / Heel Stamps

johnDeereJack

Afternoon all,

I recently picked up a cheap, used MiJ '57 Precision. It's an 'E' series from somewhere between '84-'87. Apologies for the dreadful pic - my fone camera sucks! 

5a69eae544bfd_PBass03.jpg.6e2065d4ceba6ddb958fae3fa426dee2.jpg

It has a maple neck, alder body, an aftermarket anodized pickguard (from doing a bit of digging online it seems these basses came with a 1-ply white guard) which I'll be replacing, and the previous owner has added an active SD APB-1 pickup, so I'll be replacing that too and reverting it back to a passive pickup (SD SPB-1)

Anyhoo, I took the neck off and found 'PB-557' stamped in the neck pocket and on the heel of the neck.

5a69ec4acef0d_PBassHeel.thumb.jpg.8c5514cc2cfd150af3058a9ecbfe4651.jpg

5a69ec5482708_PBassNeckPocket.thumb.jpg.86fca5bacd527f8d39e8c44657136aa4.jpg

I guess PB=Precision Bass, and 57=1957 Reissue, but it's the other 5 I am confused about - does anyone know why the stamp has two 5's? From looking at other examples online I've also come across MiJ '62 RI P Basses with PB-562 stamped in the neck pocket and on the heel. Any ideas about this mysterious 5? 

Thanks in advance :)

JDJ

I thought this model was called PB57-95. I've never seen these referred to as PB557 before, but I do know of ST557 and ST562 models (Strats). They were solely intended for the Japanese domestic market. I have no clue what the extra 5 designates.

Edited by LeftyJ

Hi LeftyJ,

Thanks for the info :)

From what I can see online, there were two models of this bass; the PB57-95, which was the top-end version (costing 95,000 yen) which had vintage US pickups, and the 'standard' PB57-75 version (75,000 yen) Given the previous owner has removed the original pickups and replaced them with active SD APB-01 I have no idea which version this particular bass might be. You mention the Strats (ST557 and ST562) - I've also found pics online of '62 precisions stamped PB-562 in the neck pocket /heel.

I didn't know these basses were intended solely for the Japanese market, I had always thought there were two types - the Japanese 'domestic' instruments and 'export' instruments to be shipped to Europe / US etc. so maybe the additional '5' denotes the market it was destined for? Just a guess...

There was also a PB57-55 at 55,000 yen. Not sure of its lifespan but it appears in the 1986 catalogue. Possible explanation?

Though "EX" in red can be a heel pocket export marking, I have never heard of '5' as a domestic/export code. I'm pretty sure it isn't. 

Edited by KK Jale

54 minutes ago, johnDeereJack said:

Yeah, I can't find anything regarding the other '5' so I guess I'll have to live with not knowing what it means (ooooh, the humanity!)  ;)

The main thing is it's a fantastic bass and I'm keeping it! :)

Thanks for the replies, chaps.

Yes, it is a shame if you can't identify or pin down an exact model of your bass....

However, as you say it's a fantastic bass and you intend to keep it.
Don't know how much of a bargain it was - but if you feel it's a keeper - then that's all that matters
BTW, I have a couple of MIJ Fenders, and have played several others - I haven't played a bad one yet!
They have all seemed like superb instruments to me - lovely necks on every one :)

Edited by Marc S

On 1/26/2018 at 15:21, Marc S said:

Yes, it is a shame if you can't identify or pin down an exact model of your bass....

However, as you say it's a fantastic bass and you intend to keep it.
Don't know how much of a bargain it was - but if you feel it's a keeper - then that's all that matters
BTW, I have a couple of MIJ Fenders, and have played several others - I haven't played a bad one yet!
They have all seemed like superb instruments to me - lovely necks on every one :)

It was £450 with a nice, clean Fender HSC thrown in as well, and as you say, the neck is fantastic on this one - definitely a keeper! :)

• Like 1

It does sound like a good price, especially if you like it so much
It's an odd thing, but you can play two models of the same bass, and they can still often feel and / or sound different
I've heard other players say that MIJ / CIJ Fenders and Squiers were more consistent in quality than US models of that era

No experience with E-series Fenders, but I have an E-series Squier Strat that has been my go-to guitar for the past 10 years! I modded it a fair bit (DiMarzio pickups, locking Schaller tuners, upgraded electronics, graphite nut and string tree) and I absolutely love it. I also have a '91 Silver Series Strat, which is a good bit lighter and more resonant, but I just keep on picking up that E-series Strat every time! 

I can't get over how good it is, it's a really nice bass, so much so that I currently overlook all of my other basses in favour of this one. 

I've got a few things incoming to tart it up a bit - Fender P-bass ashtrays and tug-bar, a Seymour Duncan SPB-1 Vintage (to replace the active SD ABP-1 that the previous owner fitted) and vintage strap buttons so I can attach one to the back of the headstock! :biggrin:

I was considering changing out the pots, cap, etc but there is absolutely nothing wrong with the stock components (250k pots, 0.1uF cap) so have decided to leave them alone.

Obviously 'pics or it didn't happen' so I'll post once it's all done and dusted.

Edited by johnDeereJack
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, johnDeereJack said:

I can't get over how good it is, it's a really nice bass, so much so that I currently overlook all of my other basses in favour of this one.....

....I was considering changing out the pots, cap, etc but there is absolutely nothing wrong with the stock components (250k pots, 0.1uF cap) so have decided to leave them alone.

Obviously 'pics or it didn't happen' so I'll post once it's all done and dusted.

Yes, it's a good feeling when a bass feels "just right" and so comfortable to play
As you have other basses, I would strongly advise you keep dabbling with one or two of them from time to time...
I'm often amazed at how different basses can be - even apparently similar models. I just think it's good to play instruments of differing weight, balance,
and different neck widths & depths now and then. Back when I first started, and could only afford one bass - if I picked up another bass

I think I struggled more to "adapt" to playing it. i.e. It's good to know how some basses can feel & sound, and just be able to pick almost anything up
It's why I own a 5 string. I don't normally play 5'ers - but they always feel so very different to 4 stringers to me - so I like to be able to play one, without feeling "what the hell is this?!"
So I just dabble with the 5'er once in a while... just in case I ever get asked to play at an open mic, and don't have my own comfortable 4 string

Re changing the electrics - if it aint broke... don't fix it! Particularly if it sounds good anyway
That's my advice.... for what it's worth :)

• 3 months later...
On 25.1.2018 at 16:48, johnDeereJack said:

1957 Reissue, but it's the other 5 I am confused about - does anyone know why the stamp has two 5's? From looking at other examples online I've also come across MiJ '62 RI P Basses with PB-562 stamped in the neck pocket and on the heel. Any ideas about this mysterious 5? 

Thanks in advance :)

JDJ

HI

5 could be the old 7ender factory number. 

Ps. I have a MIM '58-style P.Very nice bass.

http://www.guitarhq.com/fender.html

1962 to 1968 (mostly) Neck Stamp/Model designations. Starting about April 1962, Fender went from a hand written neck butt date to stamped date. Usually the date had a code (often mistaked as a day of the month/year) preceeding the date, to signify what model the neck belongs. Note in 1966 many model numbers changed. Here is a list of those codes and the years that they were used.

• 1 = Jaguar 1962-1965
    • 2 = Stratocaster 1962-1965
    • 3 = Telecaster
    • 4 = Jazzmaster 1962-1965
    • 5 = Precision Bass
    • 6 = Bass VI
    • 7 = Jazz Bass
    • 8 = Musicmaster II, Mustang, Duo-Sonic II 1964-1965 22 fret 24" scale model
    • 9 = Musicmaster II, Mustang, Duo-Sonic II 1964-1966 21 fret 22 1/4" scale Model. Also found on 1969 Swinger "Arrow/Musiclander" models.
    • 10 = Coronado 1 and 2, and some 1966 Jazzmaster and Stratocaster necks
    • 11 = Bass V
    • 12 = Electric 12 and Maverick/Custom model
    • 13 = Stratocaster 1966-1968, many 1966 Jazzmasters too
    • 14 = Coronado 12
    • 15 = Jaguar 1966-1972
    • 16 = Musicmaster II, Mustang, Duo sonic II, and Bronco
    • 17 = Mustang Bass and MusicMaster Bass
    • 18 = Coronado Bass
    • 19 = Jazzmaster and Coronado 2
    • 22 = Stratocaster 1968-1972
    • 23 = Telecaster Bass
    • 27 = Villiager 12 
    • 28 = Shenandoah 12
Edited by Okabass

• 8 months later...

I had an MIJ E Series P bass ('62 RI) that I sold to the bass player of a very well known band.  It was a great bass, really good tone but I marginally preferred the '96 MIJ 62RI P bass.  Here it is, CAR so not quite as 'bright' as my camera made it out to be:

1926726538_EseriesP01.thumb.jpg.89bff3ab0e8dd9a50d89432c241ff3f7.jpg