Why become a member? ×

Big Muff Deluxe options.

Thunderpaws

Happy New Year everyone. 

I am leaning towards diving in to an EHX Bass Big Muff Deluxe. There are a couple of songs we play could do with some interesting mid-high gain dirt that still sounds smooth but with the ability to cut through three guitars and a loud drummer. 

This pedal looks/sounds great on the variety of YouTube clips I’ve watched. 

Are there any real alternatives at that price point? 

For £115 new, it does look pretty good value. I particularly like the way that it keeps low end with a clean blend and also acknowledges that dirt pedals are often the noisiest in the signal chain which it takes care of with a built in noise gate; and then tops it all off with a decent HPF! If it didn't take up quite so much real estate on a pedal board, I'd definitely be tempted to get this! 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

im actually prefering the guitar orientated one as it has a mids control and bass boost, the muff sound really does get lost due to the mids, with the blend at 12 even the fuzz turns more into a slight buzz under the clean. 

its all rig dependant i know however! but that one gets me more interested 

The Green Russian is awesome, but if you want to 'cut through' you might like something with more mids.

I've never had a problem with it being heard though - it has soooo much bass and low mids it kind of 'pokes under' rather than 'cuts through' if you know what I mean! Might be just what you need - instead of trying to cut through the upper mids battling against 3 guitars, just sit underneath them and totally dominate those frequencies. I discovered that the upper raspiness of the muff quickly gets lost in a busy mix so I stopped trying to fight it and just turned the tone control down to just own the low end!

6 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

The Green Russian is awesome, but if you want to 'cut through' you might like something with more mids.

I've never had a problem with it being heard though - it has soooo much bass and low mids it kind of 'pokes under' rather than 'cuts through' if you know what I mean! Might be just what you need - instead of trying to cut through the upper mids battling against 3 guitars, just sit underneath them and totally dominate those frequencies. I discovered that the upper raspiness of the muff quickly gets lost in a busy mix so I stopped trying to fight it and just turned the tone control down to just own the low end!

Thanks very much for your helpful comment, and everyone else too. When I go in to try out the deluxe big muff I’ll have a go with the other options too. Yeah, fighting three guitars is an issue. Had a bass soul food which helped significantly but it blew one day in the house. This different approach could work. 

3 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

The reviewers loved the Deluxe on bass, I have to say it was one of the best sounding too. I don't think you'd go far wrong, there's probably plenty of used ones on the market too outside of BC!

Thanks very much. That review of all the fuzzes is great. I have vouchers for GuitarGuitar so most likely go with them.