Why become a member? ×

Bass playing as a chill out & stress relief..

silverfoxnik

Hi Folks,

It's been a busy week (as per usual) and sometimes when it all gets too stressful, the first thing I think of when going home that I know will chill me out is picking up a bass and having a noodle around for half an hour!

But it doesn't usually pan out that way because the first thing that happens when I walk through the door is kids/family mayhem etc, etc, and quite rightly so as they come first. Which means I tend to skulk around much later on practicing the bass with the headphones on, which is never quite the same thing.

Is it just me with this scenario or does this sound all too familiar to anyone else??

Nik

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='324435' date='Nov 7 2008, 07:33 PM']Hi Folks,

It's been a busy week (as per usual) and sometimes when it all gets too stressful, the first thing I think of when going home that I know will chill me out is picking up a bass and having a noodle around for half an hour!

But it doesn't usually pan out that way because the first thing that happens when I walk through the door is kids/family mayhem etc, etc, and quite rightly so as they come first. Which means I tend to skulk around much later on practicing the bass with the headphones on, which is never quite the same thing.

Is it just me with this scenario or does this sound all too familiar to anyone else??

Nik[/quote]
No, thats exactly what happens to me (although my partner is supportive too). I snatch ten minutes here and there.

A long time ago when I was going through some weird mental issues and having panic attacks and stuff, picking up a bass made them go away.

It depends what I'm doing though. Sometimes when I pick up a bass to do something creative with it and the juices just aren't flowing it's the most annoying thing in the world, but if I'm just picking it up to thrash through some tunes then yeah, that's always satisfying.

Nik[/quote]

Nik, I don't have kids but have a partner who is not very supportive of my making a racket, sorry, playing, and so I only get to play plugged in either when she's in the bath or out. I have to add this situation was a gradual one as I used to play plugged in when the telly was on! Playing bass definitely relieves stress for me, but I feel it's not the same when you're not plugged in, and headphones don't come close.

[quote name='Protium' post='324509' date='Nov 7 2008, 09:16 PM']Yeah but then I forget them 5 mins later :)[/quote]

I hate it when that happens! I've got myself into the habit of developing anything good into a full song structure immediately so by then I've usually played it enough times that it sticks - that way as long as I remember how it starts I can remember the whole arrangement (Pino's "trust chops").

Alex

Okay, a serious response.

No, it's not a reliable form of stress relief for me. Sometimes, if it's going well, then it relieves stress. At other times, it makes me angry beyond words. I have been close to throwing £1,000 worth of bass guitar across the room many, many times.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='324502' date='Nov 7 2008, 09:03 PM']Absolutely and that's when all my new song ideas appear! The power of noodling...

Alex[/quote]

I came up with a great line a few years ago only to be informed by my brother that i was playing a chilli peppers song in a different key with slightly altered phrasing, back to the drawing board! :)

I do chill out playing bass, but with kids ( one 4 year old and another due in Feb ) it's becoming harder to fit in anything regular, one of the reasons i shelved a new band, i knew i would not be able to give it the time. When i do get to play it's great, I forget every thing for a short time. For me the golden time is when everyone is out (rarely) and i can ditch the headphones and accusations of being anti social and just go for it.

I use the bass to chill out...i have no kids and live on my own, my basses are me kids :) , so need to worry about annoying anyone with my crap playing...i do have 2 cats but they both seem to like my style...especially the white one who needs to get as close to me playing as possible....that cat has taste i tell ya! :huh:

[quote name='steve-norris' post='325019' date='Nov 8 2008, 10:15 PM']I do chill out playing bass, but with kids ( one 4 year old and another due in Feb ) it's becoming harder to fit in anything regular, one of the reasons i shelved a new band, i knew i would not be able to give it the time. When i do get to play it's great, I forget every thing for a short time. For me the golden time is when everyone is out (rarely) and i can ditch the headphones and accusations of being anti social and just go for it.[/quote]
+1

[quote name='Galilee' post='324518' date='Nov 7 2008, 09:30 PM']Okay, a serious response.

No, it's not a reliable form of stress relief for me. Sometimes, if it's going well, then it relieves stress. At other times, it makes me angry beyond words. I have been close to throwing £1,000 worth of bass guitar across the room many, many times.[/quote]

Felt that way a few times. Personally, if I'm stressed I prefer to engage in some sort of group activity. Take my mind of it.

I find that practicing bass is very calming. Though I'm trying to get into a band at the moment and I find myself noodling when I should be working out songs on my Bass Trainer!

My first son was born 3 months ago and I'm having real trouble finding time to play. At the moment the only time I can find is after my Missus and the littl'un has gone to bed, by which time I'm knackered myself and have difficulty getting in the mindset for working out songs or improvising.

It's the hope that things will get easier as my son gets older that keeps me optimistic, but reading the comments on here, it doesn't sound that way!

Very familiar (I have 3 demanding kids plus an equally demanding wife). I have two of my three basses in a stand next to my side of the bed and a typical Mr & Mrs Clarky evening ends up with me noodling in bed while she reads for a bit, falls asleep and eventually barks "Clarky turn the lights out zzzzzzzz". Romantic, eh?

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' post='325704' date='Nov 10 2008, 09:27 AM']I have two of my three basses in a stand next to my side of the bed and a typical Mr & Mrs Clarky evening ends up with me noodling in bed while she reads for a bit, falls asleep and eventually barks "Clarky turn the lights out zzzzzzzz". Romantic, eh?[/quote]

So how did you manage 3 nippers...? :)

Garry

Playing the bass is still very new to me but I look forward to getting home and playing for about an hour or so. iI really takes
my mind of things and I feel it helps.
However, I do get frustrated sometimes as I really do need to sort some kind of tuition out as I rely way too much on learning by TAB and I end up playing the same songs over and over again. I am sure my technique needs some sorting out.

Edited by Absolute-beginner

[quote name='Absolute-beginner' post='325746' date='Nov 10 2008, 10:21 AM']Playing the bass is still very new to me but I look forward to getting home and playing for about an hour or so. iI really takes
my mind of things and I feel it helps.
However, I do get frustrated sometimes as I really do need to sort some kind of tuition out as I rely way too much on learning by TAB and I end up playing the same songs over and over again. I am sure my technique needs some sorting out.[/quote]
I think thats true of most people.

Nik[/quote]
Yep, and for me it'll get worse come April next year!! :)
I tend to use the post 9pm time - when Nic is in bed too (being all pregnant as she is) - to do my practice on my acoustic bass.