Why become a member? ×

Precision Advice - Help!

spongebob

Bit of advice required here.

I've always played Ric's, but am possibly after a Precision just for practice, the odd rehearsal and maybe the odd gig as well to mix 'n' match.

I've a minimal knowledge of these basses - budget-wise, I'm not into spending huge amounts (save that for my Rics!), so as cheap as poss, within reason as it's got to be good enough!

I'm just after one that offers good playing, and that big sound (re my other Steve Hanley Fall-related post).

Also, where is a good place to buy? My internet searches yield very little. It must be easier to find one!

I noticed on the poll that there is loads of Fender owners on here, so it must be the best and most informed place to ask.

Please help!

[quote name='spongebob' post='324279' date='Nov 7 2008, 04:03 PM']Bit of advice required here.

I've always played Ric's, but am possibly after a Precision just for practice, the odd rehearsal and maybe the odd gig as well to mix 'n' match.

I've a minimal knowledge of these basses - budget-wise, I'm not into spending huge amounts (save that for my Rics!), so as cheap as poss, within reason as it's got to be good enough!

I'm just after one that offers good playing, and that big sound (re my other Steve Hanley Fall-related post).

Also, where is a good place to buy? My internet searches yield very little. It must be easier to find one!

I noticed on the poll that there is loads of Fender owners on here, so it must be the best and most informed place to ask.

Please help![/quote]

Recent posts suggest that there's a huge amount of variation in quality of Precisions, that there's no such thing as a good year or a bad year, that Crafted In Japan models are (on average) good value and quality, that some made-in-Mexico are better than some made-in-America for less cash, that some Squiers are better than Fenders, that you should definitely try before you buy.

Then there are all the opinions on replacement pickups...

good luck!

[quote name='chris_b' post='324348' date='Nov 7 2008, 05:20 PM']Look in the "For Sale" section for example, "Squier P Bass Special, Red, Great Condition £100". If this is still about, get it!![/quote]

I can't recommend that bass enough, although it's not really a precision... It's got a jazz bass pickup and a jazz neck. P Bass specials, although excellent, are somewhere inbetween a precision and a jazz (suprisingly!). Although, mine sounds a lot more precision like with a precision neck on it.

If a man wants a precision, he should get a precision.

Why not go and try a few in a shop?

[color="#00FFFF"]Bit of advice required here.

Please help![/color]

A good bench mark is a Highway 1, try one and go from there. US ones can be pant wettingly stunning or shonky.
Squires are P like but generally* need electric upgrades to get the best from them.
MIJ Ps are like jap cars, bl**dy great and cheap but whilst they have the badge they just arent quite the same somehow (although you wont get a shonky one for sure).
MIM can be be like playing the lottery scratchcards......

* You are just as likely to get great Squire as a MIM Fender, they are out there, but the default position is as above.

Price-wise, I suppose I'm looking at about £300ish, as it won't be my main bass (can't beat a Ric in my book - sorry!).

Any idea on the best places to buy? Supply seems a bit short online - or am I looking in the wrong places?

"* You are just as likely to get great Squire as a MIM Fender, they are out there, but the default position is as above. "

I gather the Squires are quite a bit cheaper?

[quote name='bigthumb' post='324291' date='Nov 7 2008, 04:13 PM']A lot of Precisions can be a bit hit and miss but usually you cannot go wrong with the Japanese ones. Cost wise, about £250 upwards I guess.[/quote]

+1 on Japanese.
Depending on how much you want to pay, old Tokais & Greco copies are generally consistently as good as decent Fenders.

Another good Precision inspired bass worth considering (IMO) is an Ibanez Blazer. They come up on Ebay fairly frequently, & are not that expensive.
I've got one strung with steel rounds, & when I dig in with a pick - nails Hanley's tone.

You want a tone like this, yeah?! :)
[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=unB7G2WrMUk"]Bombast[/url]
or this [url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=vpAApVBrDrg"]Behind The Counter[/url] or even this! [url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=-6GhtoVSMaA"]Wrong Place, Right Time[/url]
Apologies, any excuse to go on about the Fall or MES - 'He is not appreciated!'

Good luck with your search!

Edited by nick

I have Highway 1 2003, without the grease bucket or bad ass, you can have it for £350 posted if you like...it's had Kent Armstrong pups fitted and comes in VGC...colour is Honey Blonde. These are a really good intro to the p bass being American made with a lovely flat nitro finish. Only reason i'm selling is that i already have a MIJ 62 RI.

[quote name='spongebob' post='324279' date='Nov 7 2008, 04:03 PM']Bit of advice required here.

Please help![/quote]
Maybe the Tokai equivalent or one of those "Vintage" ones would do.

Just go for the Squier (note the Speeling, chaps!) Classic Vibe 60s P. Only possible downside is that it's only available in Sonic Blue...
[url="http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0303070572"]Classic Vibe 60s Precision[/url]

Edited by Telebass

[quote name='spongebob' post='324858' date='Nov 8 2008, 04:38 PM']Thanks guys. This post is really growing, all great advice.

Another question - what's the actual differences between the Highway 1 and the standard bass? Is it down to the country of origin, and the price!![/quote]

Standard are made in Mexico, Highway 1 are made in the USA.

[quote name='thebeat' post='324904' date='Nov 8 2008, 06:09 PM']Standard are made in Mexico, Highway 1 are made in the USA.[/quote]

Thats a starting point.

H1 is essentially a US model but with a thin coat of cellulose paint for (alledgedly) better tone because its thinner, a BA2 bridge, and comes in very limited color ways, and gigbag rather than all teh case candy and HSC of a full US model you cant get Maple fretboard options either. I've yet to see a bad or shonky H1. The same cant be said for MIM. You Could get an absolute doosey (as the neck and body are cut out in teh US plant but from lesser cuts of wood) you could also get a very average instrument as well that frankly a decent Yamaha or Ibanez would kick its ass.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='324970' date='Nov 8 2008, 08:21 PM']Thats a starting point.

H1 is essentially a US model but with a thin coat of cellulose paint for (alledgedly) better tone because its thinner, a BA2 bridge, and comes in very limited color ways, and gigbag rather than all teh case candy and HSC of a full US model you cant get Maple fretboard options either. I've yet to see a bad or shonky H1. The same cant be said for MIM. You Could get an absolute doosey (as the neck and body are cut out in teh US plant but from lesser cuts of wood) you could also get a very average instrument as well that frankly a decent Yamaha or Ibanez would kick its ass.[/quote]

Earlier Highway 1's, such as mine, did not have the Bad Ass bridge or greasebucket tone control...the upgrade version has only been available for around 3 years.

[quote name='thebeat' post='325041' date='Nov 8 2008, 10:52 PM']Earlier Highway 1's, such as mine, did not have the Bad Ass bridge or greasebucket tone control...the upgrade version has only been available for around 3 years.[/quote]

You are quite correct of course, I forgot to add its been around a while and is now in its upgrade version.! :)