Why become a member? ×

DMX Lights - software/interface/app ideas

redbandit599

Hi all

Thinking about swapping from a DMX foot controller for our lights to 'something' - maybe an app on a tablet or phone.

I understand I'll need software and some kind of interface.I'm quite analogue, so anyone successfully using a simple (cheap is good too :) ) interface and software then I'd be interested. Ideally be nice to have it controlled from a tablet on my mic stand, but wired is fine.

It's a pub band so not looking for massive lights shows, but equally I can't stand the school disco effect of just letting everything "Do it's own thing."

Currently run 4 led pars, likely to add in two rotating head led lights.

Cheers all

Jason

[quote name='redbandit599' timestamp='1504380899' post='3364546']...
I understand I'll need software and some kind of interface...
[/quote]

Much more powerful than the needs expressed, but excellent stuff, and easy to use. The current version works with iPads, Android etc...

[url="https://www.nicolaudie.com/en/suite2.htm#undefined"]Sunlite Suite DMX Controller ...[/url]

I used previous version for several years, very successfully. May be too pricey for you, I dunno, but it's very good.

I went through this a few months ago, and after a bit of research I ended up with QLC+ running on a Raspberry Pi with a cheap USB DMX interface from Amazon (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lixada-Interface-Computer-Lighting-Controller-type-1/dp/B00ZQNIAP8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1504383178&sr=8-1&keywords=usb+dmx).

I've set up a few simple chases, some which change between scenes and some which fade between them. I'm using a home built USB MIDI foot controller to trigger the different chases, and I can also do tap tempo to set the rate at which they change. The foot controller's based on a Teensy board, very similar to Arduino.

Depending on how tech-savvy you are that could be a way to go. You could also just trigger some chases from a laptop running QLC. A tablet would also work for control in the set up I've described, but you'll need a way of connecting the tablet to the Raspberry Pi, so you'd need to run a wifi router as well.

The cheap DMX interface I've linked above is fine on OSX and Linux but a bit of a pain to set up under Windows.

If you're interested I could give you a bit more detail, but it won't be for a few days as I've got quite a lot on over the next few days.

• Thanks 1

I run this (occasionally, when I get time!):
http://www.adj.com/airstream-dmx-bridge
It's a little buggy and costs £235, but you can run it from your iPhone and it's pretty easy to use. No sound to light though, but variable speed chases.
Would be interested in other solutions people have found, as I'm constantly surprised how slow lighting controllers have been at advancements compared to say digital mixers. I really don't think we should have to take a laptop to control a light show nowadays!

Chamsys MagicQ - industry standard DMX lighting condole in a PC - does everything you'll ever need it to do and more besides. Free to download, runs without a licence (4 hours at one stretch IIRC) and you'll need a DMX interface. Job done.

Edited by DaytonaRik
  • Thanks 1

[quote name='la bam' timestamp='1504425988' post='3364691']
ADJ dmx buddy. £50.

A slightly limited version of mydmx but way more than you need.

Can also be run without a pc if you save programs to the small x l r interface.
[/quote]
This looks excellent , can it be hooked up to a foot controller, particularly for blackout ?

There's oodles of software out there, ranging from quite a few free or Open Source ones to very sophisticated systems with 3D emulation of moving heads. The harder part is choosing an adequate hardware interface. I've not looked into it, but there could be a Raspberry Pi solution; it would seem to be the ideal platform for such an interface. I'll have a look and see...

Edit: Here's one, at least...

[url="http://www.instructables.com/id/Raspberry-Pi-as-a-DMX-light-controller/"]Raspberry Pi DMX interface...[/url]

... and another ...

[url="http://bitwizard.nl/shop/DMX-interface-for-Raspberry-pi-with-usb-(FT245RL)"]Another Dmx Interface ...[/url]

... and there's more. Hmm... I might have a go myself; our youngest has a Pi already. A winter's project, maybe... B)

Edited by Dad3353

Check out the Transcension Commander 384 DMX controller. It's not expensive (£140) and allows you to operate LED fixed and moving head lights of different makes. I've been using one to operate the following and it's very good.

LEDJ Q Colour x 2
LEDJ 7Q5 x 7
ADJ Inno Pocket spots x 2
Equinox Slender Beam Bar Quad

Edited by gazhowe