Why become a member? ×

Do you take good gear to rough venues?

Cat Burrito

I'm in the lucky position of having virtually no assets of marketable value; even to the point of owning duff kidneys and poor eyesight. Good luck squeezing pips out of [i]this [/i]lemon..! To me, this is all the more reason to be extra careful in one's daily activities. Because of this vulnerability, my conscience prevents me from being wilfully negligent and causing harm to others, so claims for responsibility would not arise. An accident, on the other hand, is just that: an accident, and should not be the subject of a claim for anything. To paraphrase: 'stuff' happens. That's Life, and should not become fodder for leeches. I have the same outlook concerning 'stuff' that I suffer. If it's someone's fault, redress could be due. If it's not, then it's not. That's Life.

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1504108554' post='3362740']
I'm in the lucky position of having virtually no assets of marketable value; even to the point of owning duff kidneys and poor eyesight. Good luck squeezing pips out of this lemon..!
Despite this vulnerability, my conscience prevents me from being wilfully negligent and causing harm to others, so claims for responsibility would not arise. An accident, on the other hand, is just that: an accident, and should not be the subject of a claim for anything. To paraphrase: 'stuff' happens. That's Life, and should not become fodder for leeches. I have the same outlook concerning 'stuff' that I suffer. If it's someone's fault, redress could be due. If it's not, then it's not. That's Life.
[/quote]

Wilfully negligence and not-wilfully negligent is still negligence.

The common thought that all claimants and defendants in these situations have is identical: "It won't happen to me"

And yet it does. To tens of thousands of people every year. And in 99% of those the person causing it was not "wilfully negligent" in the slightest. Just normally negligent.

You are effectively claiming that those people were "wilfully" negligent and that is nonsense. The vast majority of them are just people getting on with their lives when they do something or fail to do something that results in injury and losses to someone else. It's not wilful, it's not criminal, it's not culpable (and all those things are different) it is just poor decisions by humans.

Your position seems to suggest you believe yourself to be infallible. Perhaps you do have a greater ability than all other humans. Perhaps your ability to judge a situation is the greatest any human has ever managed.
But would you claim that ability was fully functional 24 hour per day, every day. Irrespective of mood, illness, amount of sleep, simple distraction etc etc?

Never made a bad decision about anything in your life? Everyone has.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1504109367' post='3362753']...
Never made a bad decision about anything in your life? Everyone has.
[/quote]

Indeed, yes, and pay the consequences of that. T'will doubtless happen again before I peg out, and I'll assume that, too. Not sure about the 'negligent' part, though; that's not part of my psyché.
I would claim to be perfect if it wasn't for my excessive modesty. :mellow:

:lol: :P

Edited by Dad3353

This has fairly serious implications for car insurance too then. If you're driving to a gig and have an accident and don't have business cover you're screwed. Given the cost of business insurance it's beginning to look unviable to do once a month pub gigs.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1504111748' post='3362785']
This has fairly serious implications for car insurance too then. If you're driving to a gig and have an accident and don't have business cover you're screwed. Given the cost of business insurance it's beginning to look unviable to do once a month pub gigs.
[/quote]

I paid extra on my car insurance this year to include driving to and from gigs and rehearsals. I had no choice, they all know what I do because my wife works there!

Played a privet party once. We took a break between sets and when we came back into the hall a totally pissed woman was staggering around on the dance floor with my EB Stingray round her neck, being cheered on by other guests. Not impressed at all and subsequently bought a cheaper P Bass copy which does well enough for me with far less worry if anything horrible was to happen.

[quote name='Japhet' timestamp='1504115062' post='3362813']
Played a privet party once. We took a break between sets and when we came back into the hall a totally pissed woman was staggering around on the dance floor with my EB Stingray round her neck, being cheered on by other guests. Not impressed at all and subsequently bought a cheaper P Bass copy which does well enough for me with far less worry if anything horrible was to happen.
[/quote]

I would never leave gear on stage without at least one member of the band there to make sure no one tries to touch anything. Obviously, you can't expect the drummer to do that, turn your back and he'll wander off. Guitarist can't, he has to go outside for a smoke, so it's down to the poor old mug with the bass, every bloody time :(

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1504115425' post='3362815']...can't expect the drummer to do that, turn your back and he'll wander off...
[/quote]

Can't agree with that. :angry:

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1504115425' post='3362815']...the poor old mug with the bass...
[/quote]

Can heartily agree with that..! :lol: :P

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1504119245' post='3362849']

I never leave the gear unsupervised. It's just not worth it.
[/quote]

Not just the damage people can do to the gear but the damage they can do to themselves. And blame you. :D

My bass and guitar is cheap. The pedals not so much. However they are boss ones so good luck trying to destroy those.

I've got all the serial numbers of them so if they get nicked..

Even my car is cheap. It's a 20 year old Toyota. Nobody will nick that and if that gets destroyed then I would just buy another £500 car and drive that until it stops.

I go on the basis that everything is replaceable or serviceable. Whichever the cheapest.

It's the painless way to go imo

Worst thing I've ever seen was a mates gig. Piss head staggered onstage, fell over a stand and lobbed his pint everywhere, fried pedals, ripped drum skins, broke a speaker. Stopped the show.
I can't say I've ever felt too comfortable knowing that could happen anyway. There's always the threat of someone else leaving with your gear after packing anyway. I don't have back up rigs so id just get insurance if your gear is top range.

[quote name='Left Foot' timestamp='1504509844' post='3365263']
Worst thing I've ever seen was a mates gig. Piss head staggered onstage, fell over a stand and lobbed his pint everywhere, fried pedals, ripped drum skins, broke a speaker. Stopped the show.
I can't say I've ever felt too comfortable knowing that could happen anyway. There's always the threat of someone else leaving with your gear after packing anyway. I don't have back up rigs so id just get insurance if your gear is top range.
[/quote]

When we're tearing down at 1:00am we work as a team and have several eyes on each other's gear at all times.

Blue

Irrespective of venue I take my gigging gear, that`s what I bought it for. It would annoy me greatly if someone deliberately knackered any of it, less so if it got knackered but was an accident. Luckily although some of the crowds we play to are seriously serious people, due to that very fact they behave themselves, they don`t need to walk about trying to impress people how hard they are and mess with bands instruments. It`s only the pretenders who cause the issues - and at some of the gigs we play the serious ones usually police the gigs better than the security, anyone taking liberties is inevitably taken to task, often with the worst of Paddington stares.