Why become a member? ×

Thinking about getting a small Eden head

bassoctopus

For what its worth I`ve had my eden wt600 for 6 years now,no problems with reliability.The real plus factor is always being able to get a really nice sound easily,without drastic ministrations to the eq.The wt600 is the stereo smaller bro of the wt800.
regards

[quote name='bassoctopus' post='322904' date='Nov 5 2008, 07:31 PM']Has the G-B got a switchable PSU like the Eden?

Good point on the Mesa - light weight isn't everything, unless it's an amp I'm going to bring back from the States.[/quote]

Only the 6 not the 3

Here's a pic of the back panel, you should be able to see the red switch that flicks between voltages:

[quote name='molan' post='323005' date='Nov 5 2008, 09:44 PM']Only the 6 not the 3

Here's a pic of the back panel, you should be able to see the red switch that flicks between voltages:

[/quote]

If you are considering a GB Shuttle 6, do check the cost in the US ( and the sales tax) and the fx rate - you can buy a new Shuttle 6 in the UK for £450 delivered and have the full 3 year warranty

P

[quote name='molan' post='322871' date='Nov 5 2008, 06:46 PM']If you want an easy to transport, voltage switchable, head with decent power & a valve in the pre then you could do a lot worse than Genz Shuttle 6.0.

If you get the gig bag as well you can bring it back as hand luggage. I did that earlier this year & US customs were fine with it, just had to go through the scanner on its own & not in a case with anything else.

I haven't giged it yet but the core tone is nice & there's a fair bit of flexibility.[/quote]
I've just recently bought an Eden Nemesis NA 650 s/h here on Basschat and took it round to Bass_Ferrets last week to give it a whirl and compare it to his Genz Shuttle 6.0.

My first impressions after comparing size, weight etc (on which the Genz won hands down), were that the Genz is a much more direct and modern sounding head (in a good way) than the Nemesis, which Bass_Ferret described as more 'old school' tonally. I think I'd agree with that description too and though I tend to favour a more old school sound, the Genz delivered not only in the sense that it has that more punchy and clean modern sound, but with the tube pre-amp, it was very easy to make it warmer and dirtier sounding as well.

I was very, very impressed with the Genz I have to say, though it was paired with Genz speakers which may partly explain why it sounded much more 'present' and punchy than the Nemesis did in that setting..

Having said all of that, I took the Nemesis and my SWR Triad to a rehearsal on Sunday and was very happy with it when used with my Roscoe Beck and a DBX MC 6 compressor.. Plenty of volume, very good sound when set flat and the e.q. options worked really well.

Just to confuse things further. A Warwick Pro-Tube IX has come up for sale near me from someone

I know. I should be able to test this at a practice weekend this weekend. I know it goes against the lightweight priniciples (massively), but it could be a lot of tone for not a lot of cash.

Has anyone any experience of the Pro-Tube?

My list of amps I want to try before making a decision

Eden WT
Thunderfunk (please Warwickhunt!)
Line6 HD400 - out of curiosity when it comes out
Aguilar 500
Ampeg SVT
Genz-Benz Shuttle 6
EBS
Mesa Boogie pulse

Pro-tube is too big for me I think.

That should keep me busy

Edited by bassoctopus

[quote name='bassoctopus' post='324027' date='Nov 7 2008, 10:17 AM']My list of amps I want to try before making a decision[/quote]

I know they're stupidly cheap compared to your other choices but check out the new Hartke LH500 and LH1000 heads. They're fantastic sounding amps, regardless of price but the price is the bargain of the decade. With the onboard EQ and inherently growly tone of your Warwicks the admittedly limited EQ and mellow fat tone of the Hartkes could prove an ideal match.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='324274' date='Nov 7 2008, 04:00 PM']I know they're stupidly cheap compared to your other choices but check out the new Hartke LH500 and LH1000 heads. They're fantastic sounding amps, regardless of price but the price is the bargain of the decade. With the onboard EQ and inherently growly tone of your Warwicks the admittedly limited EQ and mellow fat tone of the Hartkes could prove an ideal match.

Alex[/quote]
+ the one.

I am on my 3rd Eden head, which is a WT 550.

Never had a single reliability problem, the 550 goes down to 2ohms so more speaker combinations available.
I also agree with the Hartke suggestions, superb amps and great value.

I've had a WT 550 also, and I was qute underwhelmed by it I'm afraid, it was nice for a little while but I wanted to try and make my tone sound much more clean and Hi-Fi but it just couldn't, it just got so muddy past a certain volume and never sounded as good as I had hoped. And the whole compressor set pull out/push in thing was just annoying after a while. That was through 2 Eden XLT 4x10's.

Edited by Josh

[quote name='Platypus' post='323030' date='Nov 5 2008, 10:05 PM']If you are considering a GB Shuttle 6, do check the cost in the US ( and the sales tax) and the fx rate - you can buy a new Shuttle 6 in the UK for £450 delivered and have the full 3 year warranty

P[/quote]

Mine came in at £350 from the US (including carry case) but exchange rate has tumbled since and you'd be lucky to find one for under £400 now.

Shouldn't be concerned about import duties etc. depends on personal confidence levels.

[quote name='molan' post='325037' date='Nov 8 2008, 10:44 PM']Mine came in at £350 from the US (including carry case) but exchange rate has tumbled since and you'd be lucky to find one for under £400 now.

Shouldn't be concerned about import duties etc. depends on personal confidence levels.[/quote]

My cousin brought over my Eden WTX-260 in her suitcase for me. Came in at around the £375 mark. Again, it was when the exchange rate was extremely favourable.