Why become a member? ×

Thinking about getting a small Eden head

bassoctopus

I've been thinking of getting a new amp for a while now. I currently (and for the past 12 years) use a Series 6 Trace Elliot AH300 into a '96 Trace Elliot 1048H 4x10 cab (8ohm 300W) which I bought from new.

I still love the sound of the Trace but it is getting a bit old now and although it has been super reliable (from when TE used to be good amps) it can't go on forever and it's very heavy!!!

Out of all the amps on my POD I like the sound of the Eden the most, however there's nowhere near me that stocks them, and if I'm going to shell out a bit of cash I want to know that it'll work with my cab in a practice/gig situation.

So I'm tempted to get a used WT400 or WTX-260 head from the states as I'm over there visiting friends for Christmas, and if I don't like it I should be able to get my money back through ebay. If I love it, I'll consider going for a WT800 if I feel I need the extra power.

I play funk/rock/metal and normally run the Trace at about half volume for practices and gigs. Basses are both Warwick's - Thumb Bass NT5 (which I use with the TE mid pre-shape) and an Infinity NT5 which I use with the amp flat.

Should I discount the 260 straight away - for power reasons?

I think I'd prefer a valve pre-amp, so that leaves WT400/405/550. Does anyone in the North East have one I could try out at a practice - I'd leave cash to the value of the amp in case of damage/loss?

All comments welcome

Edited by bassoctopus

Not that he probably needs it but if you are considering loaning Neil an amp I can vouch for him; 100% solid guy.

I'd seriously considered getting the WT800 before I got my Thunderfunk but I was put off by the 'rumours' of one or two recent reliability issues... others may be able to dispel that myth!

IIRC 'WoT' tried out an Eden recently (before settling on his Boogie) so it might be worth asking what he thought of it. Saying that your musical styles and genre are miles apart but it might help.

Good luck. :)

[quote name='Marcus' post='321223' date='Nov 3 2008, 07:22 PM']Had loads of Eden gear and it's all been great....

The WT400 is great !![/quote]

I completely forgot that you'd owned most of the Eden range (inc a Metro or two) over the years. :huh:

In fact if anyone in the NE wants info on any of the top marques I should just point them in your direction anyway, as there can't be many brands you've not tried (and I mean that in a good way, not sarky :) ).

The (brand-new) WT400 I had for a while didn't impress me at all. The tone was... OK, but the limiter was on more often than I'd have liked. It felt like it was running out of steam too quickly.

Also, it was noisy... like a lollipop stick on a bike wheel. I had to open it up and tidy up the wiring which was clipping against the fan.

I lost faith in it and sent it back.

As an aside, Mesa Walkabout which is kind-of similar output and size-wise. It's far, far heftier tone-wise, and the build quality is excellent.

If you want lots of sparkly clean volume, no... but if you want lots of tubey roundness, definitely.

Granted, I use mine with a very efficient cab (a Schroeder 410L), but I've yet to feel like it's running out of steam... even in fairly big rooms without PA support.

Also, it'll unofficially do about 500w at 2ohm.

Having said that.... they aren't voltage-switchable, and they're a flipping fortune in the UK so it might not be something to consider anyway.

[quote name='bassoctopus' post='321260' date='Nov 3 2008, 07:53 PM']Is the Walkabout loud enough? It's only rated at 300W at 4ohm[/quote]

You could pick up one of the new Thunderfunk amps from the States (750 watts @ 4 ohms and 'can' run at 2 ohms) as they are voltage switchable... if it wasn't your cup of tea I'd have it off you. :)

[quote name='yorick' post='321913' date='Nov 4 2008, 05:23 PM']The Mesa Walkabout sounds fantastic, and it has enough power for most gigs. The price over here is extortionate, so try/buy one in the States. Check the voltage capability as well!!![/quote]

Alas, it's a total no-go unless you want to use a step transformer.

[quote name='bassoctopus' post='321845' date='Nov 4 2008, 02:56 PM']Which WT was it and what was it running into, if you don't mind me asking.[/quote]

It was the WT-400 Traveler going into a 4ohm Eden XLT 4x10.

I discovered afterwards it was the limiter circuit kicking in and shutting down the amp cos it was overheating. totally embarrassing at the time cos we were only two songs into the set.

[quote name='bassoctopus' post='322851' date='Nov 5 2008, 06:21 PM']Interesting - don't want that kind of problem. Were you pushing it really hard?

I've not looked at amps since I got the Trace, so apart from Mesa, what else should I be looking at that won't break my back?[/quote]

What makes you think the Mesa is a light weight? :)

I'd use the search facility on the forum as there are loads of threads discussing the merits of light weight amps like EA, Markbass et al.

If you want an easy to transport, voltage switchable, head with decent power & a valve in the pre then you could do a lot worse than Genz Shuttle 6.0.

If you get the gig bag as well you can bring it back as hand luggage. I did that earlier this year & US customs were fine with it, just had to go through the scanner on its own & not in a case with anything else.

I haven't giged it yet but the core tone is nice & there's a fair bit of flexibility.