Why become a member? ×

Bass Direct - Charges

pmjos

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1500141887' post='3335907']

I just could not hand over £400 for a two grand bass.
[/quote]

It's not quite that simple though is it, even though it's only a commission sale a shop is likely to be able to achieve a greater sale price largely in this day and age due to being able to take credit cards as payment for used goods, it's no different to cars costing much more from a garage than a private sale even if the car is still under warranty.

The reality of buyers saying "I'd rather buy new" when they come here asking for advice on their first decent bass or gigging amp is that quite often it's going on the credit card so the mega deal in the for sale section here is a non starter.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1500206351' post='3336180']...I just could not hand over 20% from the sale of one of my basses.
[/quote]

Not even if the sale fetched 30% more than on your own..? :huh:

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1500206351' post='3336180']

No, I get why it happens, I'm just saying personally, unless there were extenuating circumstances, I just could not hand over 20% from the sale of one of my basses.
[/quote]
[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1500207154' post='3336186']

Not even if the sale fetched 30% more than on your own..? :huh:
[/quote]
[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1500207738' post='3336188']

Sorry Dad, I've not had any experience of that. I could quote a circumstance completely the opposite in fact.
[/quote]

Exactly my point Douglas!

My wife complains about paying our financial adviser about £250 to arrange our mortgage every few years, he saves us far more than that and does all the paperwork so it's a win win for us regardless of how much money the guy makes.

The only way it could be the opposite would be if you agreed to sell it for less? I can't see how that's relevant.

So you'd pay more money per month on your own mortgage and do it yourself? Savvy :D

99.9% of the time the private seller will get less than a shop for an item, each individual case is different of course, every now and again someone will bag that pre CBS Jazz bass from crack converters but in general a bass for £2000 in a shop isn't going to sell anywhere near privately unless it's very rare.

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1500220551' post='3336276']

Who says I can't get as good a deal as an FA?
[/quote]

Because your buying one, they're buying hundreds, millions of pounds worth. That's how it works, they get offered deals not available to the man on the street and get a commission or a one off payment from the lender or the home owner or both, the lender still gets a monthly saving and the FA makes a living, but of course you know all that as its not rocket science as you say :)

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1500207738' post='3336188']
Sorry Dad...
[/quote]

You've overlooked the tiny but important word: 'if'... It's just a supposition, and in light of your obvious financial acumen, probably unlikely, but the question remains... Supposing, for fantasy's sake, that a shop was able to fetch, for all sorts of possible reasons, 30% more than [i]any [/i]individual, would you still insist on selling it yourself, thus 'gaining' 20% but 'losing' 30%..? That was the hypothesis. It may be too late for a reply; if so, never mind.

Edited by Dad3353

Not everyone is a member on here, not everyone who is a member would place trust in a seller, regardless of his or her past record. Lots of people in Europe do know of Bass direct, and lots of people would trust them over someone selling privately. I think because of this, selling through them is a good idea, I think ultimately you would get more for your sale, with less hassle.

Guest gazzatriumph

[quote name='goingdownslow' timestamp='1500201708' post='3336152']
Who is responsible for any after sales problems that may occur, does the shop refund the money or do they refer the buyer on to the previous owner?
[/quote]

As far as I am aware there is a 7 day period where the goods can be returned I assume after that they are sold as seen.

Just on another matter, I bought a cab from BD a few weeks ago and yesterday got in touch with the USA manufacturers to tell them how pleased I was with it. They asked if they could put my comments on their Facebook page. I agreed if anonymised.

So my comments have popped up on BD site today, over my name. They don't miss a trick do they, bless 'em.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1500220947' post='3336282']
Because your buying one, they're buying hundreds, millions of pounds worth. That's how it works, they get offered deals not available to the man on the street and get a commission or a one off payment from the lender or the home owner or both, the lender still gets a monthly saving and the FA makes a living, but of course you know all that as its not rocket science as you say :)
[/quote]

It should also be pointed out that while there are some deals offered by lenders only via brokers, there are also some deals offered only direct to borrowers and not through brokers. Using a mortgage adviser is far more about them knowing the market than an assurance that they can find the lowest rates - there are estimated to be about 6,000 different mortgage deals and where they earn their money is knowing which lenders are best suited to what you need (for instance who won't lend if you are buying a flat over a shop, who is more likely to say yes if you have a less than stellar credit rating, etc). Using the wrong adviser may not save you any money if they aren't looking at the right products...

back to the point, it comes down to whether the shop can generate a higher price than a private sale, do they have a better range of regular buyers, etc, and whether you want the hassle of having to do everything - check out the numerous threads on eBay cons, courier issues, etc. I don't think there's a right or wrong, and there's certainly no guarantee of one way being better financially, so I'd suggest that it's more to do with saving yourself the time and trouble.

[quote name='Monkey Steve' timestamp='1500468657' post='3338024']
It should also be pointed out that while there are some deals offered by lenders only via brokers, there are also some deals offered only direct to borrowers and not through brokers. Using a mortgage adviser is far more about them knowing the market than an assurance that they can find the lowest rates - there are estimated to be about 6,000 different mortgage deals and where they earn their money is knowing which lenders are best suited to what you need (for instance who won't lend if you are buying a flat over a shop, who is more likely to say yes if you have a less than stellar credit rating, etc). Using the wrong adviser may not save you any money if they aren't looking at the right products...

[/quote]

or, selling you a completely inappropriate product because they get the best commission from it. As the FA did to me when buying my first house.

Edited by bartelby

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1500480425' post='3338146']
or, selling you a completely inappropriate product because they get the best commission from it. As the FA did to me when buying my first house.
[/quote]

exactly!

There have been a lot of changes to that now and commission has been banned on a lot of products, and as a minimum must be declared so that you can see how much the adviser is getting from the insurer/lender. But even if they are selling you the product that they genuinely think is the best for you, it depends on how good an adviser they are in the first place.

Not to do with mortgages, but I recently had a project at work where we paid for an IFA to give advice to some people affected by a tax change, and there was a definite "house style" so that they gave everybody in a particular position the same advice. On speaking to some of the individuals afterwards it became apparent that it really wasn't the best thing for some of them to be doing...

Sorry, somewhat off topic...I could rant about this for a while so best I don't get started...

Best advice, whether getting a mortgage or selling your bass, use somebody you trust, ideally from a recommendation by somebody you trust.