Why become a member? ×

So, what's the scam?

PaulWarning

put a bass on Gumtree and got this email, obviously a scam, just wondered how they're hoping to get money out of me

[size=3][color=#000000][font=Calibri,Helvetica,sans-serif][font=Calibri,Helvetica,sans-serif,serif,EmojiFont][font=Calibri,Helvetica,sans-serif,serif,EmojiFont][font=Calibri,Helvetica,sans-serif,serif,EmojiFont][font=arial,sans-serif,serif,EmojiFont][color=#222222]Good, I am ready to buy it now as a gift for my friend and I would like to pay your asking price to finalize offered and for you to keep off from all other offer and consider it sold to me alone as i am serious with the purchase. I would have love to come for the inspection and make the transaction done in person but due to the nature of my work i couldn't make it because i do have a contract to go for and am leaving any moment., i am only buying the item based on faith and trust and i hope i won't be disappointed.[/color][/font][/font][/font][/font]

[font=Calibri,Helvetica,sans-serif,serif,EmojiFont][font=wf_segoe-ui_normal,Segoe UI,Segoe WP,Tahoma,arial,sans-serif,serif,EmojiFont][color=#212121][font=arial,sans-serif,serif,EmojiFont][color=#222222]I'll have to arrange for a pickup agent( Shipper ) who will be coming to pick it up as soon as the payment is made and I'll Like to pay you via PayPal and do you have a PayPal account so I can make the payment of the funds or if you don't have one, you can set up at [/color][/font][url="http://www.paypal.com/"][font=Calibri,Helvetica,sans-serif,serif,EmojiFont][font=wf_segoe-ui_normal,Segoe UI,Segoe WP,Tahoma,arial,sans-serif,serif,EmojiFont][font=Calibri,Helvetica,sans-serif,serif,EmojiFont][font=Calibri,Helvetica,sans-serif,serif,EmojiFont][font=Calibri,Helvetica,sans-serif,serif,EmojiFont][font=Calibri,Helvetica,sans-serif,serif,EmojiFont][font=wf_segoe-ui_normal,Segoe UI,Segoe WP,Tahoma,arial,sans-serif,serif,EmojiFont][font=Calibri,sans-serif,serif,EmojiFont][font=arial,sans-serif,serif,EmojiFont][color=#1155CC]www.PayPal.com[/color][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/url][font=arial,sans-serif,serif,EmojiFont][color=#222222] it's fast and easy to set up, once you are done with the registration just get back to me with the email you use to set up so as to proceed on with the payment okay?[/color][/font][/color][/font][/font]

[font=Calibri,Helvetica,sans-serif,serif,EmojiFont][font=wf_segoe-ui_normal,Segoe UI,Segoe WP,Tahoma,arial,sans-serif,serif,EmojiFont][color=#212121][font=arial,sans-serif,serif,EmojiFont][color=#222222]Get back to me with the details below :[/color][/font][/color][/font][/font]

[font=Calibri,Helvetica,sans-serif,serif,EmojiFont][font=wf_segoe-ui_normal,Segoe UI,Segoe WP,Tahoma,arial,sans-serif,serif,EmojiFont][color=#212121][font=arial,sans-serif,serif,EmojiFont][color=#222222]Full Name:[/color][/font][/color][/font][/font]

[font=Calibri,Helvetica,sans-serif,serif,EmojiFont][font=wf_segoe-ui_normal,Segoe UI,Segoe WP,Tahoma,arial,sans-serif,serif,EmojiFont][color=#212121][font=arial,sans-serif,serif,EmojiFont][color=#222222]PayPal Email: [/color][/font][/color][/font][/font]

[font=Calibri,Helvetica,sans-serif,serif,EmojiFont][font=wf_segoe-ui_normal,Segoe UI,Segoe WP,Tahoma,arial,sans-serif,serif,EmojiFont][color=#212121][font=arial,sans-serif,serif,EmojiFont][color=#222222]Firm price: [/color][/font][/color][/font][/font]

[font=Calibri,Helvetica,sans-serif,serif,EmojiFont][font=wf_segoe-ui_normal,Segoe UI,Segoe WP,Tahoma,arial,sans-serif,serif,EmojiFont][color=#212121][font=arial,sans-serif,serif,EmojiFont][color=#222222]Thanks for your understanding.[/color][/font][/color][/font][/font]

[font=Calibri,Helvetica,sans-serif,serif,EmojiFont][font=wf_segoe-ui_normal,Segoe UI,Segoe WP,Tahoma,arial,sans-serif,serif,EmojiFont][color=#212121][font=arial,sans-serif,serif,EmojiFont][color=#222222]Regards[/color][/font][/color][/font][/font][/font][/color][/size]

Edited by PaulWarning

My dad has had this one this week, he's selling a dining room set for £300, bloke wants it 100% and is going to put the money into his account including the £400 courier costs to take it to scotland, he wants my dad to forward the 400 quid onto the courier, he's obviously going to cancel the payment once my dad's genuine 400 hits the false account. They've no interest in actually collecting anything other than money, I'll bet it will be the same and he'll want you to send £50 or more to 'his courier'. The daft thing is if he'd asked to forward £100 for delivering the table my dad would have paid it!

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1499365912' post='3331106']
apparently not
[/quote]
Yes they can in some cases, it's not the guarantee most think it is. If the sender can show it's fraudulent then it gets reclaimed, irrespective of what the receiver thought was happening.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1499366924' post='3331116']
So why not get them to pay using this? Doesn't cost them any more - why would they decline? Scared of being scammed?
[/quote]but it is a scam just not sure what it is, I'd sooner not get involved, they've no intention of buying the bass have they?

Edited by PaulWarning

I think they send you the money via PayPal. Their 'courier' or 'friend' turn up to collect. They always want to arrange their own courier. The good are collected then they file a not received claim via PayPal and you have no proof of posting or a signature on delivery. PayPal pay out every time!!! You lose. No money. No goods.

[quote name='gs_triumph' timestamp='1499372267' post='3331173']
I think they send you the money via PayPal. Their 'courier' or 'friend' turn up to collect. They always want to arrange their own courier. The good are collected then they file a not received claim via PayPal and you have no proof of posting or a signature on delivery. PayPal pay out every time!!! You lose. No money. No goods.
[/quote]

Had a similar experience on ebay. I sold something. Sent it via my insured courier. Courier delivered it and got a signature from the address. Buyer said he hadn't received it. Ebay ruled in buyers favour as I could not prove it was the buyer who actually signed for and received the item (although proof of delivery, the right signature and address was supplied to me and paypal via photo). Buyer got the money back and item. I could not claim on the insurance either as they had proof of delivery... Do not use paypal unless you trust the buyer or seller.

If someone pays via Paypal, then the item has to be sent to the address held by Paypal, using a tracked and signed for service, which is why you can enter a tracking number on Paypal when you despatch it.

If someone collects, then there's no proof of delivery. They turn around and say it wasn't received, Paypal gives them their money back.

I've had it where they say they can't collect because they're ill, they usually say they've got cancer or something horrible like that.

Don't play around with them, just delete their texts and ignore them. These are criminals, not people to be messing with.

I always state cash on collection only, no other arrangement will be entertained, in capitals on the advert.

I've actually met some very nice people who've bought stuff from me through Gumtree, you just need to be sensible.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1499366924' post='3331116']
So why not get them to pay using this? Doesn't cost them any more - why would they decline? Scared of being scammed?
[/quote]

It'll be a hacked account, or a stolen or cloned credit card that they're using.

My mom had her card cloned at a petrol station a few years ago. When she got her statement through, there were lots of £1 transactions to iTunes taken from it, this is done to check the card is still valid.

Edited by ambient

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1499383888' post='3331278']
If someone pays via Paypal, then the item has to be sent to the address held by Paypal, using a tracked and signed for service, which is why you can enter a tracking number on Paypal when you despatch it.

If someone collects, then there's no proof of delivery. They turn around and say it wasn't received, Paypal gives them their money back.

I've had it where they say they can't collect because they're ill, they usually say they've got cancer or something horrible like that.

Don't play around with them, just delete their texts and ignore them. These are criminals, not people to be messing with.
[/quote]
[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1499384099' post='3331279']
I always state cash on collection only, no other arrangement will be entertained, in capitals on the advert.

I've actually met some very nice people who've bought stuff from me through Gumtree, you just need to be sensible.
[/quote]sounds sensible to me, if selling on Gumtree it has to be cash on collection me thinks, maybe electronic transfer into my bank account, certainly not paypal, far to dodgy

Edited by PaulWarning