Why become a member? ×

Volume in the mix

Nicko

We recently changed froma 5 piece to a 4 piece. Although the singist is filling in a bit on guitar, we have lost one guitar sound form some of the songs. The band are constantly telling me to turn up my volume, but its as loud as it ever was in the 5 piece. It seems counter intuitive to me that the bass would need to be louder in a more open music format. Am I wrong?

Edited by Nicko

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1499258844' post='3330322']...Am I wrong?
[/quote]

It may take some time for the new formation to become familiar. It may be wise to change nothing (anybody...) until you've all become more accustomed. It's pretty sterile trying to sound as you all were before.
An option, if anyone insists, is to use the DFA knob, either on the bass, the amp or a pedal. Astute miming can convince some psychologically that things are greatly improved with its use.
Just my tuppence-worth.

Are you scooping the mids out of your sound?
If you are, try eq'ing them back in as it'll make the bass appear louder and more prominent in the mix even though you're not actually turning the amp up.

If you're not scooping your mids out, then I've got no idea!

Obviously we don't know what you sound like but any change in your on stage sound is going to feel a bit odd until you get used to it. You'd be better off worrying about your FOH sound for the audience so why not record your rehearsals and listen to that afterwards before trying to redo your eq. We did one gig with our rhythm guitarist missing through family commitments and it sounded really thin at the gig. The recording of the gig sounded great afterwards, it may not be what you expect.

Are your band members missing cues from what your second guitarist was playing or maybe rhythmic drive? It may be they just want a little push at times and you may have to change what you play a little.

Having said all that when i've played with a five piece I've generally ended up cutting the top end and boosted the low mids so I can sit in an acoustic pocket without muddying the overall sound. Again listen to recordings.

Edited by Phil Starr

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1499341262' post='3330833']
Yes.

If the band wants more bass. . . . step up and bloody well give it to them!
[/quote]

Its trouser flapping volume already.

[quote name='Osiris' timestamp='1499260555' post='3330349']
Are you scooping the mids out of your sound?
If you are, try eq'ing them back in as it'll make the bass appear louder and more prominent in the mix even though you're not actually turning the amp up.

If you're not scooping your mids out, then I've got no idea!
[/quote]

Quite the opposite. My graphic is set with a sad face.