Why become a member? ×

Neck relief measurement

obi 2 kenobi

[quote name='obi 2 kenobi' timestamp='1495651460' post='3305657']
Hi, what is the name of the tool used to measure neck relief and string height ?...
[/quote]

You may be thinking of feeler gauges; a set of very thin metal 'shims' of various thicknesses which slide between the string and the fretboard. Here's a pic...

I just use a metal ruler with micro increments in both cm and inches, when setting relief however I don't usually bother. Capo 1st fret, press down string on the last fret on neck, and measure the distance between 8th fret and the bottom of the string. A slight tap is more than enough IMO.

Edited by acidbass

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1495653285' post='3305684']
You may be thinking of feeler gauges; a set of very thin metal 'shims' of various thicknesses which slide between the string and the fretboard. Here's a pic...

[/quote]

These can be had cheaply from screwfix or ebay and I think they are vital to getting your bass setup as well as possible. I also live by this guys guide to setting up your bass:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te44eWXd9pc&t=24s

[quote name='A.G.E.N.T.E.' timestamp='1495718846' post='3306114']
The business card does the job, but i like to use several tools when doing my setups :)
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I use feeler gauges, u[/font][/color]nderstring Radius Gauges, and astring action ruler
[/quote]

I was half expecting a joke about G Strings and feelers in there, very dissapointed.... :ph34r:

[quote name='jacko' timestamp='1495722142' post='3306148']
you'd be better off setting your relief where it feels right to you, not some bit of metal / plastic.
[/quote]This what I do. Holding the E string down at the first and last fret, I check it by eye to see if there is a visible gap, then I tap the string with my little finger to hear a definite 'tap' and then play all the strings on the first five frets checking for buzz. Hardly scientific, but it works for me. However, I do measure with a steel rule for string height.

[quote name='dyerseve' timestamp='1495721264' post='3306142']
I was half expecting a joke about G Strings and feelers in there, very dissapointed.... :ph34r:
[/quote]

I'm sure that no one here would sink so low as to suggest that having a feel under the G string will provide the correct relief.

Oh no, not around here. Wouldn't happen.

These under string radius gauges - isn't it just as easy/accurate to measure from say 12th fret to underside of string from 2.5 mm E, graduating down to 2.0 mm G (or whatever your preference) ultimately following the curve of the board or am I missing something in all these years of successfully doing my own basses???

[quote name='LITTLEWING' timestamp='1495732840' post='3306242']
These under string radius gauges - isn't it just as easy/accurate to measure from say 12th fret to underside of string from 2.5 mm E, graduating down to 2.0 mm G (or whatever your preference) ultimately following the curve of the board or am I missing something in [b]all these years of successfully doing my own basses[/b]???
[/quote]
If you´ve been successfull, there´s not much left for us to say :) it´s all about personal preferences.
Sorry if i brought up the [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]string radius gauges as i use them only as part of the process. In fact i adjust the radius of the strings first, only then i adjust the action. [/font][/color]

I hold down first fret with one hand and 15th fret with my thumb on my other and leave just enough relief at the twelfth fret to be able to make the string ring out with a tap of the string with my first finger, once
set I adjust the string height to a 2.5mm Allen key thickness between the 12th fret and the underside of each string.

I'm still lost on this radius gauge thing. You adjust the radius and THEN do the action? Suppose when you've done the radius, your strings are half inch off the neck. You've still got to lower them to get a decent action so why waste time with this tool?
Please don't think I'm being funny or argumentative, I just honestly hand on heart can't see the advantage of this gauge when the only true results will come from following the fretboard radius as you set the action for every different guitar??
If there is an invaluable result from using this tool then I've learnt something. Every day's a school day!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1495744796' post='3306352']
I hold down first fret with one hand and 15th fret with my thumb on my other and leave just enough relief at the twelfth fret to be able to make the string ring out with a tap of the string with my first finger, once
set I adjust the string height to a 2.5mm Allen key thickness between the 12th fret and the underside of each string.
[/quote]

I do the same, but always use a 3/32" allen key. My US Fenders prefer imperial measurements :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1495815369' post='3306852']
Ha, I still can't handle imperial measurements even after years of old car tinkering!
[/quote]

I can work in metric units, but have to convert them in my head to visualise them. I have plenty of imperial tools around from messing about with Harley Davidson.