Why become a member? ×

Stingray type custom build...

LukeFRC

• 2 weeks later...

[b]Router based advice needed[/b]

So cut the body out with a band saw or similar, then tidy up the edge with a router around a template seems to be the done thing?

So got questions about trimming the edge of the body with the router...

I've a collar guide for my router, so I could make a template Xmm offset from the edge and use that.... but on the net I see lots of people use the router bits with the top brushings on them for this... which is better method?

How long a bit do I want? I'm using a hand held router that has a 1/4 inch collet.

and... do you cut the neck pocket first, then the body shape? or the body shape then the neck pocket?

Thanks!

The way I do it is to make a template out of thin mdf then use that to route a thicker template with a top bearing flush bit. Then I use the thick template to flush route the body. Depending on the length of bit and depth of plunge, work your way down. If you can't do that, flip the body over and use a bottom bearing flush bit, using the bit you've already routed as a guide. Always work with the cut - anti-clockwise on external cuts, clockwise on internal cuts like for the pickups.

A lot of people will cut the neck tenon first and then make a template to fit for the neck socket in the body.

I assume you are competent with a router?

Guide bushes are more useful for smaller internal routes such as pickups, although a lot of people just flush route to avoid having to work out and accurately draw the offset. However the guide bush means you can use a thinner template.

It's always useful to do a test route on scrap wood to check you've got the template right.

As for the length of bit, you'll find you will probably need a long one and a short one. Longer is handy for the body outline but means you'll need a thick template if you only want to do a shallow route such as for the control cover. That's where your guide bush is probably a better option.

I have heard that a spiral bit can give a cleaner cut, although tend to be a bit more expensive. I've not tried one yet

Also, don't try to take off too much in one go especially when going across the grain. If you do, the router bit might snatch and make a bit of a mess, You are better with more shallower passes ( as in less cutting depth) I'm my experience.

I keep two template cutters of different depths go this reason and it being easier to cut a neck pocket with a shorter cutter.

Hope this makes sense!!

Cheers

Jez

• 3 weeks later...

so we have sawdust! Woop!

And a template.

And a delivery of bits coming!

and then after making my template... I started looking at router bits...
so think going to make another slightly thicker template next! :)

far far too long! So thought again and got the jigsaw out.
It's a cheap jigsaw that I bought for about 50p in screwfix to chop two bootloads of decking up to take to the tip. Everything on the net tells you that tools that cheap will destroy everything you hold dear. In my case it worked.

Brushing guide on.
It's a 17mm guide and a 12mm router bit which is why I offset the template by -2.5mm luckily illustrator can do that super easily.
I went for one unguided router bit rather than two, more expensive guided router bits... cos it was cheaper. The hard bit is then making a template for the neck pocket as I can't draw it in illustrator and then offset it that accurately - so that will be the process of trial and error on a couple of bits of scrap pine to get right.
Anyway lets turn the router on...

So you know at the top of the page when Norris asked if I were competent with a router and I didn't answer... well.... best way to learn is to try right?
Kinda kidding there, I've done a fair bit of woodwork/metal work stuff in the past so quite used to picking stuff up and using the internet and/or books to work out how to use things.

After using the good router bit to do most the side a guided laminate trimmer bit finished off the bottom. It's not perfect, but I went slow and did little bit by little bit and it went ok. The first section I did on the lower body I got too greedy on the last pass and managed to get a bit of tear out - and there's bits on that top horn where I went past my stop point on a pass and it took a slither too much out but it's not too bad and will all be saveable.

It's amazing how it went from this heavy lump of wood to a lightweight feeling bass body just by making it the shape of a bass!

So that was a good evening - I really really really enjoyed that.
I used to do lots of little projects and creative things. Then got married and moved into a tiny flat and it had to stop as we didn't have space and the other half didn't apprciate mess in the spare room (given that it was a single bedroom already full of basses, amps and we had to store our bikes there too)
Moved into our house two years ago and a lot of the projects have been bike related (anyone wanna 70's Harry Quinn?) or DIY and decorating. So this was fun.
A good day was added to by what I can only guess was an ASDA pricing mistake, no label on the shelf so asked at customer services and paid what the woman asked for....! (as I said a good day)

Nice one. If you've chewed a little bit extra here and there you can always file/sand it down if you're not too precious about the exact body shape. You will have to be a lot more careful with your neck pocket though - that needs to be a good fit

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1497971650' post='3321724']
Nice one. If you've chewed a little bit extra here and there you can always file/sand it down if you're not too precious about the exact body shape. You will have to be a lot more careful with your neck pocket though - that needs to be a good fit
[/quote] I had one tearout which was due to me being daft and trying to take too much out. It's not too bad and should easily file down. (I may just file it off the template and use the router.)
The other little nicks are when I had the router bit at it's furthest reach and didn't keep enough pressure down at the end of a pass so it rocked slightly. Annoying and I should of taken more care - but I know why it did it, and if you know why then you can fix it.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1497991731' post='3321895']
The early bird....

While I was asleep in bed you were turning a blank of wood into a bass body...good work that man..
[/quote] haha - the template was sat, the jigsawing Sunday, the routing Monday then I just fixed the gougeout just now!
Photos went on on the morning though!

Really really enjoyed it so far - I've a feeling the hand sanding ahead might not be as fun but we shall see!