Why become a member? ×

Stealth Bongo

bass_ferret

the rosewood neck ruins it for me, but iv always hated black/brown combinations. if that had an ebony board (or a phenolic board with carbon neck :)) it would luck stunning. and bongo's are brilliant instruments

[quote name='BassManKev' post='314995' date='Oct 26 2008, 12:14 PM']the rosewood neck ruins it for me, but iv always hated black/brown combinations. if that had an ebony board (or a phenolic board with carbon neck :)) it would luck stunning. and bongo's are brilliant instruments[/quote]
Cant help but agree. If only EBMM offered Status necks as an option

• 3 weeks later...

I had a stealth Bongo 4 string exactly like the first picture - bought it new off Ebay in the Musicman case for £800 odd. So if you shop around there are bargains to be had. I strung it with DR Red Devils and it looked and sounded way cool although I totally agree that it should have an Ebony fretboard.

The status neck/stingray thing has already been bottomed out on the EB forum. OBBM can probably tell you a few stories about it. The german chap who built that 'stealth' stingray is a lovely bloke. It would be next to impossible to get pure black matt chrome hardware to match the rest of the bass in the EU unfortunately. The process puts out too many toxic fumes and has been banned.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='328735' date='Nov 13 2008, 10:47 PM']The status neck/stingray thing has already been bottomed out on the EB forum. OBBM can probably tell you a few stories about it. The german chap who built that 'stealth' stingray is a lovely bloke. It would be next to impossible to get pure black matt chrome hardware to match the rest of the bass in the EU unfortunately. The process puts out too many toxic fumes and has been banned.[/quote]
That stealth 'ray is lovely. I wonder if you could buy "gloss" black hardware and use a satin laquer to dull the shine. That or rub it back very lightly. You'd only need to do the tuner "ears" and Schaller (balck) brass knobs are quite dull. Re-make the control plate in the same material as the scratchplate...
But I really don't know what to do with the bridge back-plate!

Off (EBMM) topic;

But back on it again- This'd look nice with a fretted Status Neck on it... Black out the polepieces with nail varnish (no, really!) change the tuners... And I'm STILL stuck with a silver bridge plate. and don't even start me on frets!!!