Why become a member? ×

Great Gig, Great Crowd, Great Business $$, But We Don't Want You Back

blue

[quote name='arthurhenry' timestamp='1491739755' post='3275086']

Both, but I would say mostly freeholds. Perhaps LLs of these places have more of a vision of exactly what they want, whereas Managers for a chain don't really care if they like the band or not.
[/quote]

Yes. They're also sometimes trying to create a brand. People like to know what they're getting and a classic rock pub, originals club or a jazz club will get a different audience.

I'm not sure how successful pubs that put on different styles of music each week are. People often tend to be pretty fixed in their ideas. I can't see many checking to see what band is on before heading out to their local.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1491812345' post='3275446']
Yes. They're also sometimes trying to create a brand. People like to know what they're getting and a classic rock pub, originals club or a jazz club will get a different audience.

I'm not sure how successful pubs that put on different styles of music each week are. People often tend to be pretty fixed in their ideas. I can't see many checking to see what band is on before heading out to their local.
[/quote]yep, pubs do get a reputation for putting on certain types of band but if a pub can't advertise what band is on in these days of social media they don't deserve to be successful, plus if they have a band on every week they should have posters of up and coming gigs, but I know some don't, I think we've all played at pubs where you've gone to the trouble of giving them posters and they can't even be arsed to put them up ,or out of date posters all over the place, those sort of places don't deserve and usually aren't successful, then, back on topic, don't book you again because of a poor attendance.

We do OK these days, venues call us however, a few years ago we played a pub which was outside of our usual areas. When we arrived, the landlady told us was usually pretty quiet on band nights. It turned out to be a complete stormer, people who can stayed and we all had a great night. Our error was not to book follow dates while we were there. We tried to call them several times afterwards to rebook but never got to even speak to the landlady - the last time they answered and said they'd see if she was in when we heard her muted voice say "who is it?....tell 'em I'm not in" Needless to say we never rang back. Who knows - stupidity plays a part I guess?

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1491813267' post='3275461']
yep, pubs do get a reputation for putting on certain types of band but if a pub can't advertise what band is on in these days of social media they don't deserve to be successful, plus if they have a band on every week they should have posters of up and coming gigs, but I know some don't, I think we've all played at pubs where you've gone to the trouble of giving them posters and they can't even be arsed to put them up ,or out of date posters all over the place, those sort of places don't deserve and usually aren't successful, then, back on topic, don't book you again because of a poor attendance.
[/quote]

We send out posters to the clubs we play a few weeks in advance of the gig.

Blue

[quote name='Bassmonkey' timestamp='1491816713' post='3275496']
We do OK these days, venues call us however, a few years ago we played a pub which was outside of our usual areas. When we arrived, the landlady told us was usually pretty quiet on band nights. It turned out to be a complete stormer, people who can stayed and we all had a great night. Our error was not to book follow dates while we were there. We tried to call them several times afterwards to rebook but never got to even speak to the landlady - the last time they answered and said they'd see if she was in when we heard her muted voice say "who is it?....tell 'em I'm not in" Needless to say we never rang back. Who knows - stupidity plays a part I guess?
[/quote]

That's a great example of how important it is to rebook while the iron is hot.

Also an example of how some managers are completely detached from the value some bands bring to their business.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1491853872' post='3275930']
We send out posters to the clubs we play a few weeks in advance of the gig.

Blue
[/quote]

We do that, but quite often they are nowhere to be seen when we get there! One place (which we refuse to play at now) edited our poster (sent by email) and replaced our current picture with one of a previous line-up, which included our former singer, over a year after we parted company.

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1491858726' post='3276007']
yep we do too, but all to often the venue hasn't even bothered to put them up
[/quote]

Sure, that happens. I think that might have been the case Saturday night.

Guys, it's really just another example of how some owners and managers are completely detached from the bands they hire.

Blue

Ideal situation is always deliver promo stuff personally & at the same time try and engage thje LL or club manager/owner in the promotion. Or at worst stick the posters on their wall yourself.
There is one club in particular that insists on using a really crappy photocopy of an old poster of ours from way back before I was bass player - 6 years and counting - different drummer and only one vocalist out front instead of two!
Platyingf there this saturday & I guarantee that same damn photo will be up in the foyer.

I'm pretty lucky that our bands main gig is in a pub which is always busy and we go down well. I always imagine the American scene to be about bar receipts, pushing the alcohol specials, if a punter offers to get you a drink you order a round of ...not premium shots but ...good for the till reciept type drinks. The singer should be pushing sales like Hey have you guys tried the 'hurricanes' in this place or go try the bucket of beer for $20.

I read an interesting post in Talk Bass about this subject and how bands have to remember that they're there to sell booze and I think it had a very well written bit from a bar owner explaining that in as many words. Things like telling the band we need to sell X brand etc.

I could be totally wrong of course!

[quote name='krispn' timestamp='1492207136' post='3278748']
I'm pretty lucky that our bands main gig is in a pub which is always busy and we go down well. I always imagine the American scene to be about bar receipts, pushing the alcohol specials, if a punter offers to get you a drink you order a round of ...not premium shots but ...good for the till reciept type drinks. The singer should be pushing sales like Hey have you guys tried the 'hurricanes' in this place or go try the bucket of beer for $20.

I read an interesting post in Talk Bass about this subject and how bands have to remember that they're there to sell booze and I think it had a very well written bit from a bar owner explaining that in as many words. Things like telling the band we need to sell X brand etc.

I could be totally wrong of course!
[/quote]

Alcohol sales is a big part of it, however so is good music.

Unfortunately if you have a poor draw and alcohol sales are poor, your band will not be re-booked.

Blue

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1492256156' post='3279025']
Our guitarist, who has lived and worked in the States, does tell people to buy more drinks during our gigs, I'd never made the connection, but he might have picked that up in America.
[/quote]

Cool, we don't actually push drinks,but we will give props to the bar staff.

"How about this fantastic staff guys, treat them right"

Which means tip these folks well.

Sorry guys, but tipping is a part of our culture. Good or bad, it's the way it is.

The whole thing is about entertaining, get things moving especially getting that cash to turn over.

Blue

Edited by blue

Sometimes I think LL's are just much busier than I appreciate.

We try to get another date in straight after a gig if it's gone well. Sometimes get the ' I don't have a diary for next year yet' so thinking about carrying some 'next year' A4 diaries to hand out !

+1 to the comment about LL personal taste being too much of their booking decision. Sadly round my way, 2 venues have shut and I suspect thus has been a factor

Back in the dim and distant I can remember gigs like these and the ensuing arguments afterwards with said landlord at closing time.

The impression I always got was consistency. Landlords don't just want one or two good gigs they want YOU the band to gaurantee a money night everytime you play at there establishment.

In fact Im pretty sure I can remember one who told us that we had lost him money cause everyone was dancing having a ball and not buying drinks!

[quote name='ians' timestamp='1492339001' post='3279465']
Back in the dim and distant I can remember gigs like these and the ensuing arguments afterwards with said landlord at closing time.

The impression I always got was consistency. Landlords don't just want one or two good gigs they want YOU the band to gaurantee a money night everytime you play at there establishment.

In fact Im pretty sure I can remember one who told us that we had lost him money cause everyone was dancing having a ball and not buying drinks!
[/quote]

Premium drinks and lots of them. That's the name of the game. They don't like to see the guy nursing a beer for an hour.

I don't drink alcohol, so it's interesting to see how much cash people depart with over the course of an evening.

Blue

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' timestamp='1492384871' post='3279863']
Out of interest, what qualifies as "premium alcohol" in the States?
[/quote]

Gareth,

I'm not sure because I don't drink alcohol. And now that I think about it, I should know what qualifies as "premium alcohol". I'm suppose to be in the business.

I think it means the higher priced cocktails and brand name labels.

Blue

Edited by blue

It'll be Peroni etc in the UK.

As I said up thread Landlords are going to opt for quieter nights where people drink more expensive drinks than loud nights where people drink 3 pints of whatever the brewery default lager/bitter is.

It's less work for them.