Why become a member? ×

Aerodyne jazz pros and cons. Let me know please.

julesb

Just found the pics I was looking for - I had a creamy white 32" scale non-export Aerodyne Jazz with 2 J pickups, black scratchplate and binding. Thing of beauty. Sold a while ago now, can't remember why.

[attachment=242482:aero1.jpg] [attachment=242483:aero2.jpg] [attachment=242484:aero5.jpg]

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1491496191' post='3273529']
Just found the pics I was looking for - I had a creamy white 32" scale non-export Aerodyne Jazz with 2 J pickups, black scratchplate and binding. Thing of beauty. Sold a while ago now, can't remember why.

[attachment=242482:aero1.jpg] [attachment=242483:aero2.jpg] [attachment=242484:aero5.jpg]
[/quote]

Sweet

I had one of the black Japanese ones about 10 years ago and in my opinion it was a brilliant instrument.
Mine always sounded deep and punchy, though I only ever really played using the Precision pickup, only blending in a little bit of the neck pickup on occasion. That was with the stock pickups too. Slim jazz like neck profile with thundering Precision like tone. [size=4]The build quality was flawless and it was light as a feather too. [/size]

[size=4][quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1491410004' post='3272834'][/size]
You need to play one to make sure you can live with the sharper edges as compared to the more traditional J bass.
[size=4][/quote][/size]

This was the killer for me.

If I played a track with a pick, the bound edges on the body would get really uncomfortable as they rubbed against my forearm. I ended up wearing a couple of sweatbands above the wrist which helped but they tended to move about a bit so I'd still end up with a sore patch on the inner forearm. Admittedly, I'm not the most subtle of players and I was in a classic rock and metal band at the time so I was prone to digging in for much of the set.

But if you're playing finger style and have a lighter touch than me, then you might be fine with one. Definitely try before you buy.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1491459760' post='3273111']

There is one on eBay at the moment, Pete, though not blue. [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-Aerodyne-Bass-Guitar-/232292742299?hash=item3615b9f49b:g:aiwAAOSwol5Y48CZ"]http://www.ebay.co.u...iwAAOSwol5Y48CZ[/url]
[/quote]

That's rather nice Paul, as was your white one too.
And there's me , thinking GAS was a thing of the past.....

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1491496191' post='3273529']

[/quote]
i almost bought one just like that on ebay. then my computer f***ed up and i missed it, was gutted
ended up with a black one, of same spec, i was much happy

I'm a dyed-in-the-wool PJ player and I couldn't get on with the Aerodyne because:

1. The bound edges are uncomfortable.
2. The stock pups are really weedy. I swapped mine for Fralins and this then brought out the real sound of the bass...
3. The sound of the bass for whatever reason (basswood body perhaps?) didn't click with me.
4. You can't fit an aftermarket bridge without some fettling. The stock bridge is very good though.

It looks stunning and has a great neck.

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1491639925' post='3274432']
I'm a dyed-in-the-wool PJ player and I couldn't get on with the Aerodyne because:

1. The bound edges are uncomfortable.
2. The stock pups are really weedy. I swapped mine for Fralins and this then brought out the real sound of the bass...
3. The sound of the bass for whatever reason (basswood body perhaps?) didn't click with me.
4. You can't fit an aftermarket bridge without some fettling. The stock bridge is very good though.

It looks stunning and has a great neck.
[/quote]

It's funny, the sharp body has never even crossed my mind. I feel it, but it's not uncomfortable. I play finger style though so my arm isn't really in that area i suppose.