Al Krow

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, bassfan said:

Maybe there’s just too many in that market already to be worth the R&D? 

Take your point about R&D Cam, but I think the first part of what bassfan said hits it on the head for me.

If you want a great PJ bass which brands would you think of? Well Yammy would be right up there for a lot of folk. The Yammy PJs are arguably as good as any on the market, certainly at the price points they pitch them at.

If you want a great J bass, well where do you start? The choice is endless and as well as being a very crowded space, Yammy could potentially just end up with a relatively run of the mill J-bass, which might even lower their stellar reputation with bassists if folk found them a bit meh?

I think Yammy have played a very canny game and done it well over many decades. They have a dedicated following with both their BB and Line6/Helix brands and quite a lot to digest and sharpen-up with Ampeg now in the fold.

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

All very true. Very many “Super Jazzes” on the market with comparatively fewer “Super Precisions”.

I guess the BB and TRB ranges have historically done well for Yamaha and with their recent acquisitions of Line 6 and Ampeg there’s enough to keep them busy as a company overall.

Besides they need to hurry up and get their replacement for the BB1200 / S into production asap and make sure that they have a 5 string option when they do! :) 

BB350 (1990’s) 

BB1500a (1990’s) Active

BB - STD (1990’s Japan)

all J/J

B51573D1-A566-4CF5-9D31-D288E3C3C350.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

BB350 (1990’s) 

BB1500a (1990’s) Active

BB - STD (1990’s Japan)

all J/J

I meant a somewhat more up to date option though. Preferably in a 5 string config as well!

Basically the feel of the 73x/P3x in a jazz bass.

Edited by CameronJ

26 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

BB350 (1990’s) 

BB1500a (1990’s) Active

BB - STD (1990’s Japan)

all J/J

They look like Gibson rip offs

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

I meant a somewhat more up to date option though. Preferably in a 5 string config as well!

Basically the feel of the 73x/P3x in a jazz bass.

Just get a new pickguard cut with a j slot and have someone put another j pickup in?

1 hour ago, AndyTravis said:

Just get a new pickguard cut with a j slot and have someone put another j pickup in?

Hmm. That’s actually not a terrible idea!

5 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

Hmm. That’s actually not a terrible idea!

But you've got a Dingwall and Sandberg and had MTD: all great brands. I don't recall what pup set-ups you have / had on these but they all do very well regarded J basses.

I'm kinda struggling to understand what it is you'd want a Yammy to bring to the party that these brands aren't already giving you?

17 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

But you've got a Dingwall and Sandberg and had MTD: all great brands. I don't recall what pup set-ups you have / had on these but they all do very well regarded J basses.

I'm kinda struggling to understand what it is you'd want a Yammy to bring to the party that these brands aren't already giving you?

Dingwall do indeed make a J-type, though it costs at least £3k new and ~£2k used. Sandberg make J-types but they’re almost all active (in an ideal world I’d prefer passive) and, sadly, I’m not a fan of the new body shapes. MTD USA falls into a similar boat to my Dingwall argument re: price and MTD Kingston do make J-types (known as the Saratoga) which I’ve considered and not ruled out despite being active, because the Saratoga preamp is arguably even more convenient than the Yamaha preamp.

Still, would you complain if Yamaha made a J??

24 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Also, this coming from a man who owns a number of basses surely in double figures by now? xDxD

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

Also, this coming from a man who owns a number of basses surely in double figures by now? xDxD

Haha - I do have a collection and for me each one brings something distinct and special to the party, so I am very content with my herd, thank you!

I'm not feeling any need to get a J bass from Yamaha other than the one I already have (which is excellent btw) - I'm very well catered for on the J bass front by another quality Japanese brand whose Nord pup growl and immensely playable necks I continue to love :) 

Sandberg are surely not purely active though i.e. passive / active option (that was certainly the case on my former TM4) - but I take your point about you not liking the new body shape, that's obviously a personal preference thing.

But Cam there are a ton of really good value and great quality J basses out there - surely the world is your oyster? 

Edited by Al Krow

Just now, Al Krow said:

But Cam there are ton of really good value and great quality J basses out there - surely the world is your oyster? 

To be honest I’ve become enamoured with a Lakland 55-60 at GuitarGuitar but the colour - ice blue metallic :( - is absolutely not my thing. So in theory I’m just waiting on a more favourable colour combo as the bass does everything else I want.

Still, I wouldn’t mind a Yamaha option, given that I know how well made they are. I repeat: would you complain about a Yamaha J bass? ;)

1 minute ago, CameronJ said:

To be honest I’ve become enamoured with a Lakland 55-60 at GuitarGuitar but the colour - ice blue metallic :( - is absolutely not my thing. So in theory I’m just waiting on a more favourable colour combo as the bass does everything else I want.

Still, I wouldn’t mind a Yamaha option, given that I know how well made they are. I repeat: would you complain about a Yamaha J bass? ;)

Cool - so you already know what you're after.

Would I complain about a Yammy J bass: nope.  But would I buy one (assuming there's a hole in my herd that I think needs filling, which there currently isn't)? Well the truth is that would depend how on good they were compared to the competition - it's a crowded market place out there. What I do love about Yammy is just how well they do a PJ bass - for me, it's what they're famous for.

Btw - dunno if the finish on this Lakland 55-60 is more to your liking - it's currently FS in the Bass Gallery:

Body-Front_b0a37122-e08a-4046-96f2-9f60c277ff2a_1600x.jpg?v=1544920209

Their website isn’t up to date. That 55-60 is no longer for sale. There’s also a number of other basses which are either incorrectly showing as still in stock, or in stock and not on the site! Much to my dismay.

5 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

Their website isn’t up to date. That 55-60 is no longer for sale. There’s also a number of other basses which are either incorrectly showing as still in stock, or in stock and not on the site! Much to my dismay.

That's very frustrating, I agree! Not poss to order directly from Lakland?

7 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

That's very frustrating, I agree! Not poss to order directly from Lakland?

Alas, not unless I want to pay top dollar for a custom shop USA model :facepalm:

Hence my desire for Yamaha to remedy my situation...

Back on topic :crazy:

There’s the BB604 which you could have a tech do a number on the eq/electronics to render it passive or switchable but it’s 4 string. One near me for not very much money. Basically a budget NE with that NE-1 type mid eq feature. 

Good shout krsipn. Cam would be wanting a 605 though...

Maybe I'm missing something, but surely the answer is that if the only thing wrong with the 55-60 is the colour and otherwise it's just the ticket and there are no other suitably coloured 55-60s likely to be available for a while, then would it be difficult to get it resprayed exactly how you want?

Methinks just the body and front of the headstock would need re-doing.

Going to be a more immediate answer than waiting for Yammy to start making J basses again...

image.png.b3df8ccf854f6512502f0ec5c82044ef.png

24 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Maybe I'm missing something, but surely the answer is that if the only thing wrong with the 55-60 is the colour and otherwise it's just the ticket and there are no other suitably coloured 55-60s likely to be available for a while, then would it be difficult to get it resprayed exactly how you want?

Methinks just the body and front of the headstock would need re-doing.

Going to be a more immediate answer than waiting for Yammy to start making J basses again...

image.png.b3df8ccf854f6512502f0ec5c82044ef.png

Given the cost of refinishing a bass to a high standard, I think I’m willing to be patient...

All of the TRB ranges are jazz bass pickups in unusual housings. So I guess that caters to that area for now, if you're Yamaha. Still, no passive option and I've never liked the TRB preamps. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TJ Spicer said:

All of the TRB ranges are jazz bass pickups in unusual housings. So I guess that caters to that area for now, if you're Yamaha. Still, no passive option and I've never liked the TRB preamps. 

They’re humbuckers though...?