Jump to content
Al Krow

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

@dave_bass5 you really liked the BB425 a LOT when you first bought it off me and it was probably the main reason you went for the P34. Having had both now for a few weeks, seems from your comments above you're starting to lean more towards the P34, particularly in a band mix? It was a no-brainer for me, in that I immediately preferred the harmonically richer tone delivered by the BB1025  over the 'flatter' 425 P pups so held on to my 1025 as a mainstay gigging bass. The P35 is, for me, a refined 1025 and I like it a very great deal. I think you touched on this same point, when you said your P34:

"...never had such a perfect tone from a P bass. In fact I’d say there is a bit of that jazz snarl in there, and that's just from the neck pup." 

@AndyTravis - just following up on the neck shimmy discussion above, is this something you've done on your Yammy BBs?

Well when you go spending £1200 on a new bass,  the £200 one gets pushed to the side lol. The 425 showed me how nice the Yamaha’s can be, and i now have my long sought after 5 string P, but as i think ive said a few times i always go back to 4, so i got the P34 and not the P35, plus im happy with the 425 as a 5 string P. The P34 was never meant to be an upgrade from the 425 and I’m glad  have both. 

I’m also happy with the tone of both. In fact i was knocked out by how good the 425 sounded when i first plugged it in, and I’m still impressed with it. Probably more impressed than when i first plugged the P34 in. Love the tone of the P34, but i really love the character the 425 has as well. I do prefer the P34 now, it sits so well in the mix, but i like the aggressiveness of the 425 as well. 

For me shimming would just be a visual thing, so its not something i have to  do to get the bass playable. I’m in no rush to do it. It plays really  well at the moment and I’m loath to keep messing with it. 

The only mod ive done so far with the P34 is to put on some satin chrome strap locks to match the bridge and control knobs. Its the small things in life eh?

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Allaboutthebass said:

Glad you didn't damage my next bass. :tatice_03:

Sorry. Still. Not. Happening. 

Think i’d Sell my CS jazz before i sold this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Think i’d Sell my CS jazz before i sold this.

Now there’s a bold statement!

 

In other news, my Dingwall Super P is having some work done at The Gallery in Camden (replacing the original tone knob with a Tonestyler) so the BB735a has been promoted to “main bass” position.

Just been playing it for the past half hour and my god - I’d forgotten how good it was. It still has the stock setup and strings as it played so well out of the box...and I’m in zero rush to change anything. The action is actually slightly higher than I would have it if I were setting it up myself but it just works! The Dingwall better watch its back ;)

I’m currently in the market for a passive 5 string Jazz and, to my shame, I was actually contemplating selling the BB to raise funds. Not gonna happen now. The Yammy is going nowhere in a hurry.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

 

Just been playing it for the past half hour and my god - I’d forgotten how good it was. It still has the stock setup and strings as it played so well out of the box...and I’m in zero rush to change anything. The action is actually slightly higher than I would have it if I were setting it up myself but it just works! The Dingwall better watch its back ;)

 

This is how I was with my P34. Straight out the  box i loved the action, even though it was a bit higher than i normal go for. Not sure what the strings were, they all had brass ends, and were not Elixirs, but they felt good. 

But then i changed strings and mucked  it all up lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dave_bass5 said:

This is how I was with my P34. Straight out the  box i loved the action, even though it was a bit higher than i normal go for. Not sure what the strings were, they all had brass ends, and were not Elixirs, but they felt good. 

But then i changed strings and mucked  it all up lol. 

I asked about the stock strings over on Talkbass and was told they’re D’Addario EXL Nickels. If and when I change strings I’ll be sticking a set of the exact same ones on again.

I think there’s something in the action being just a touch higher than normal for me , plus the strings being nice and malleable under the fingers. Makes the bass very fun  and responsive to play.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Agree about the playability, but the strings on mine weren’t EXL’s, at least not the normal type as they didnt have the colour ball ends. Ive been using these for years, and they just felt different (better)

They are advertised as coming with them, but i have a feeling there is some reason mine didnt, especially considering the low price. 

Edited by dave_bass5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

Agree about the playability, but the strings on mine weren’t EXL’s, at least not the normal type as they didnt have the colour ball ends. Ive been using these for years, and they just felt different (better)

They are advertised as coming with them, but i have a feeling there is some reason mine didnt, especially considering the low price. 

Hmm. Curious. And the annoying part is how difficult it’ll be to work out what strings they are :/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

Hmm. Curious. And the annoying part is how difficult it’ll be to work out what strings they are :/

We never can. They are in the bin now. I can say that the pro steels are pretty much the same, although they have the coloured ball ends. 

The bass was quite a bit cheaper than everywhere else, so I’m guessing it might have been a return that someone had changed strings on before returning it. just a guess though. It wasnt sold as a return or demo though, but it is perfect condition so I’m not complaining. I just believe is a price is too good to be true then it generally is. 

The EB Slinky’s that i first put on were ok, but they have a .105 E and I’m now using .100, so that might be why i didn’t get on with them. Again, ive only recently started using .100’s but i love how the feel. 

Ive only just started using these stirring, but i love the tone and feel of them. I tend to destroy stings quite quickly (he seems the original strings being thrown) due to my pick playing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve recently started coming round to the joys of lighter gauge strings myself. Definitely learned that I have zero love for a .130 B string. It’s like tugging on an umbilical cord.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

...It’s like tugging on an umbilical cord.

And you know that exactly, how? 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

I’ve recently started coming round to the joys of lighter gauge strings myself. Definitely learned that I have zero love for a .130 B string. It’s like tugging on an umbilical cord.

Its just the E ive dropped in size, and so far i love it. 

On my 425 and Sire V7 i have a .130 B, but still a .100 E. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

And you know that exactly, how? 🤣

I was anchored to my mother’s womb by a .130 gauge B string.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CameronJ said:

I was anchored to my mother’s womb by a .130 gauge B string.

Haha. Ok that explains a few things...

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hm. Just looked up the gauges on a 5 string set of EXL-170s and apparently the B is indeed a .130 O.o it definitely doesn’t feel like it! Unless the sets which ship with the new BBs are custom gauges? Not impossible...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

Hm. Just looked up the gauges on a 5 string set of EXL-170s and apparently the B is indeed a .130 O.o it definitely doesn’t feel like it! Unless the sets which ship with the new BBs are custom gauges? Not impossible...

Well Yamaha do mention that the strings are as above, so I’d be surprised if they do have a custom set on them. 

Since i posted this motoring I think ive got the ultimate set up for me and this bass now. I just cant stop playing it. 2.25mm on the E and .013 neck relief. No buzz unless i really dig in, and only on the E string, ive found I’m playing a bit lighter with this bass anyway, so its all good.....more than good in fact. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hear you there. I’ve spent much of the evening playing mine and, like you, I only get buzz when I’m actively digging in for that sound. Doesn’t take much effort as it just responds so well.

I just bought a set of Maruszczyk Nickels as I really loved the feel of them on a bass I played a couple of days ago. I may need to get some EXLs and compare them on the Dingwall when I get it back from The Gallery. They’re both reasonably priced string sets but I could see this becoming an expensive rabbit hole if I keep digging...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, and playing along to some music I cant even hear the buzz.

I feel the bass has so much punch that it doesn’t need me digging unless I want a more cranky tone, but even then its not too noticeable. 

There are so many brands of string ive never tried, but I’m happy enough with the cheaper brands 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, CameronJ said:

Hm. Just looked up the gauges on a 5 string set of EXL-170s and apparently the B is indeed a .130 O.o it definitely doesn’t feel like it! Unless the sets which ship with the new BBs are custom gauges? Not impossible...

The last set of EXL220s I bought for my 5-string Bass Collection, were supplied by Strings Direct as a 4-string set of EXL220 plus a single 0.125 B string, so I think it's definitely possible to match a 4-string set of EXL170s with a lighter B. The code for the B is XLB125.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting - I LOVE the strings that came fitted to my BB735a (now sadly for sale) and had been wondering what they were so I can grab a set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My BB P35 came with D'Addario EXL170-5 nickels 45 to 130 guage. 

They're excellent and not outrageous in terms of price (around £25) - highly recommend. I'll certainly be sticking with them for my Yammy BBs and Ibby SRs (fretted).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can get them in packs of 2 quite cheap as well. A fellow convert here, after trying all sorts on my BB415 only to get a 1025X and realise I liked those stock strings more than anything else I’d tried! Still have to try those NYXLs, I have a 4 string set so just need to obtain a low B!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

You can get them in packs of 2 quite cheap as well. A fellow convert here, after trying all sorts on my BB415 only to get a 1025X and realise I liked those stock strings more than anything else I’d tried! ...

Where from?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...