Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

On 28/06/2021 at 20:08, TheGreek said:

BB1100s listed as an Ibanez.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114863380905?hash=item1abe6419a9:g:ERcAAOSwsydg03oO

I recently acquired a Spector Performer from this seller - good guy - not a member here though.

Says Yam now, must have fixed it.

Looks like a Japanese one by the pickups.

Someone added a metal jack plate to allow using an open style socket. Caught my eye as I just had to replace the socket in my BB1100s, it cut out if I used a right-angled plug and looped the cable through the strap. (It had lasted about 30 years though, so I think the switchcraft I fitted will see me out!)

2 hours ago, nilebodgers said:

Says Yam now, must have fixed it.

Looks like a Japanese one by the pickups.

Someone added a metal jack plate to allow using an open style socket. Caught my eye as I just had to replace the socket in my BB1100s, it cut out if I used a right-angled plug and looped the cable through the strap. (It had lasted about 30 years though, so I think the switchcraft I fitted will see me out!)

Could be an early Taiwanese one too - I had a sunburst 86/87 with the square pickups 

I have finally switched the preamp in my BB605 to a Delano. Now, it is passive/active (volume push/pull) and has bass, treble, mids, mid switch to select the frequency, blend and a passive tone. I can only say "wow". I'm still in love with my BB735, but the 605 will be played more often than before. I'm not sure about the pickups. They are not too bad, but this bass may improve a lot.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Folkesy said:

This sounds very interesting. Which Delano preamp did you use? Was it easy to fit? 

I put the Sonar 3 MS/E. It should have fitted with no problems. However, I was sent the one with the bass and treble stacked pot and I couldn't return it. Besides, the preamp came with a push/pull pot for active/passive. Since I am no electronics expert (I can do very simple things) I thought about making the bass active/passive and, since now I had 4 pots instead of 5, I thought about adding a passive tone knob. So I took it to a luthier to do the job. If I didn't have the stacked bass/treble, I could have switched the preamp myself. But it's a much better bass now. 

• Like 3

Gotta smile, probably been a couple of years since someone listed a white BB NE2 for sale in the UK. And then two get listed within 3 hours of each other 😁

Be very interesting to see if near mint condition justifies the price differential over a slightly more "used"/older example - will sit back and watch with interest!

popcorn.gif

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, pete.young said:

Common as muck those white ones. Baz, are you absolutely sure you're doing the right thing?

😁

Hey Pete good to hear from you!

You're in good company with several BC buddies who have asked me that very same question today! 

Put it like this: I won't be gutted if it doesn't slip out of my hands...and I know you absolutely love yours.

Guest Corto14
16 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Just found the best BBP34 demo on YouTube, 35 very special seconds

😧 that is my video! 
why the hell is public? 🤦‍♂️

I thought it was “private”…. I did it to show the balance of the bass to some unfaithful Italian fender fanboys  

It is absolutely awful , the bass sounds good though 

and the video length  should have been of 34 sec

Edited by Corto14

25 minutes ago, Corto14 said:

😧 that is my video! 

I thought it was “private”…. I did it to show the balance of the bass to some unfaithful Italian fender fanboys  

I enjoyed it! :D You wait it will catch on, soon enough Davie504 will be doing extreme bass balancing videos... 

you do probably need to share a video of you playing it... 

1 hour ago, Corto14 said:

😧 that is my video! 

What I love about your technique is the way that you leave sufficient sonic space in the mix for other instruments to "breathe" with no extra unnecessary notes cluttering things. 

• Haha 2