The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, TheGreek said:

BB425 for £350 😲 (Good luck with that one)

£150 for the 235 is a good buy, if you live near Aberdeen

Edited by MoJo

10 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Wonder who picked up that very tasty BB 604 NE1 that sold within 5 hours?! 

I was seriously tempted but that would just be greedy. I love my 605 and 604 the build quality, playability and sound are top quality.

37 minutes ago, Folkesy said:

I was seriously tempted but that would just be greedy. I love my 605 and 604 the build quality, playability and sound are top quality.

Does your 605 have the NE1 circuit also? Dunno if you have come across a 2005 also in your travels and been able to compare them?

And I have no idea how they sound / play compared to the current line up, but I'm guessing more similarities than differences ie you know you're playing a Yammy BB! 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Moos3h said:

This thread makes me want an 605 NE1.  Fact.

You mean all the hours we've spent discussing the current NE2, PH, P35, 735A, 435, 235 and former 2025, 1025, 425, 615, 415, 2005, (and all their 4 string versions) plus some sexy MAs and you want a 605 NE1?!

😁

Edited by Al Krow
Missed a few off the list!

OMG!!!

Just fitted a set of Status tapewounds (40-120) to my BB5GS - man, what a change in tone. Absolutely monster tones - feels like being kicked in the chest by Darth Vader wearing size 14 Doctor Marten boots.

Highly recommend to anybody who wants to start a volcanic eruption on the Moon.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Moos3h said:

This thread makes me want an 605 NE1.  Fact.

3 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

You mean all the hours we've spent discussing the current PH, P35, 735A, 435, 235 and former 1025, 425, 415 (and all their 4 string versions) plus some sexy MAs and you want a 605 NE1?!

😁

I don't he said anything about exclusively...

As I often say "everything is nice but more is better".

Posted (edited)

My rig for medium to large stages. With monitoring this combination never lets you down. There are more cabs in case Metallica is calling but usually I take only one with me 😎

ash1 (2).jpeg

Edited by gobasserk
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

This feels like the best £350 I’ve spent in a long while. BB450 in coffee burst from a guy in Tyne and Wear. Immaculate condition (has an Omega bridge not the original sadly) and with a new set of La Bella black tape wounds sounds incredible to my ears. Even got a non OEM hard case. Old BBs are just brilliant value (not that anyone here needs convincing)

06695169-97AC-4B98-95B3-03BFA1BF0E09.jpeg

• Like 7

52 minutes ago, Richard Jinman said:

This feels like the best £350 I’ve spent in a long while. BB450 in coffee burst from a guy in Tyne and Wear. Immaculate condition (has an Omega bridge not the original sadly) and with a new set of La Bella black tape wounds sounds incredible to my ears. Even got a non OEM hard case. Old BBs are just brilliant value (not that anyone here needs convincing)

06695169-97AC-4B98-95B3-03BFA1BF0E09.jpeg

Love that - wish he’d have posted when I asked.

what a beauty 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Love that - wish he’d have posted when I asked.

what a beauty 

Unusual colour isn’t it. The neck pup sounds particularly good so it’s going to be the P to my 1100s J. Did you contact the seller about it as well Andy? Was a Gumtree ad. I spoke to him on the phone and it sounded like he was winding down his playing. He also mentioned “my BB2000s” which is tantalising!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Richard Jinman said:

Unusual colour isn’t it. The neck pup sounds particularly good so it’s going to be the P to my 1100s J. Did you contact the seller about it as well Andy? Was a Gumtree ad. I spoke to him on the phone and it sounded like he was winding down his playing. He also mentioned “my BB2000s” which is tantalising!

By that I mean he has several BB2000 rather than a BB2000s!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Richard Jinman said:

I didn’t in the end - I’ve a 350f I’m modifying.

The 450 is basically a passive 1100s - which is no bad thing.

If you fall out with it - I’ll make room. 😉

On 12/05/2021 at 08:44, Al Krow said:

Does your 605 have the NE1 circuit also? Dunno if you have come across a 2005 also in your travels and been able to compare them?

And I have no idea how they sound / play compared to the current line up, but I'm guessing more similarities than differences ie you know you're playing a Yammy BB! 

What is the deal with the NE1 link to the BB604/5?.

I've had a BB604. I've had the NE-1 pedal too.

I found the BB604 pre to be nothing alike.

I'm sure I remember reading the NE link to the bass was from a Yamaha typo and has become a myth and that there is no link to anything Nathan East related?

12 minutes ago, bagsieblue said:

What is the deal with the NE1 link to the BB604/5?.

I've had a BB604. I've had the NE-1 pedal too.

I found the BB604 pre to be nothing alike.

I'm sure I remember reading the NE link to the bass was from a Yamaha typo and has become a myth and that there is no link to anything Nathan East related?

It has the sweepable mid?

Ive always known it to be referred to as the ne-1 preamp. 

They sound great for the money they go for, even if if they were 3 times the price they’re good.

A6D3D88C-BD74-4E3B-9733-AE092A433C89.jpeg

1 hour ago, bagsieblue said:

Yep, sweepable mid, but can't adjust the Q.

@thepurpleblob mentions it in this thread too.

yamaha-ne-1-37813.jpg

I'm thinking maybe some of the really fancy stuff onboard pre's by Status and John East gives you a Q adjustment, but there are not too many other onboard preamps that allow you to adjust the Q.

The flagship BB NE2 has a mid-cut frequency selector but no Q. But with that addition combined with its 3 band EQ it becomes a more versatile preamp than you'll get on most basses.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I'm thinking maybe some of the really fancy stuff onboard pre's by Status and John East gives you a Q adjustment, but there are not too many other onboard preamps that allow you to adjust the Q.

The flagship BB NE2 has a mid-cut frequency selector but no Q. But with that addition combined with its 3 band EQ it becomes a more versatile preamp than you'll get on most basses.

Aware of all that - my query was as to how the BB604/BB605 has this NE / Nathan East tag on it.

BB604/5, higher end NE signature Yamahas, and the NE pedal - My thoughts are they are all different circuits.

Im not disputing the quality of any them.

Just curious as to how the BB604/605 got the Nathan East tag.

I've had an admittedly quick google around and can't see anything on the official Yamaha published information that ties in the Nathan East preamp, or a variation of, into the BB604/BB605.

Looks like nothing more than just a sweepable mid - found on many basses.

15 minutes ago, bagsieblue said:

Aware of all that - my query was as to how the BB604/BB605 has this NE / Nathan East tag on it.

BB604/5, higher end NE signature Yamahas, and the NE pedal - My thoughts are they are all different circuits.

Im not disputing the quality of any them.

Just curious as to how the BB604/605 got the Nathan East tag.

I've had an admittedly quick google around and can't see anything on the official Yamaha published information that ties in the Nathan East preamp, or a variation of, into the BB604/BB605.

Looks like nothing more than just a sweepable mid - found on many basses.

It's a misconception because the BB604/5 is based on the NE2 shape and as far as I'm aware the BB2004/5 did share pre-amp qualities with the BBNE2. The BB604/5 preamp is a different (much cheaper) preamp than those found in the higher end variations understandably. It wouldn't make much sense for Yamaha to put such a saught after preamp in what was the budget BB of the time. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bagsieblue said:

Just curious as to how the BB604/605 got the Nathan East tag

Given how bassfacts normally evolve on the internet, it's probably something to do with Leo Fender's top-end hearing loss