Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

1 hour ago, krispn said:

Please explain string weight :)

* I should say please explain the impact of string weight

Actually that's a "deep" (and very fair) question!

I've got as far as there is a correlation between string gauge and greater tension for a given string...

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

I've got as far as there is a correlation between string gauge and greater tension for a given string...

As far as string tension goes: the heavier the gauge the greater the tension in the string; likewise, the longer the scale of the bass the greater the tension will be (strings will feel tighter on a 35" scale than a 34" scale) and; hex core strings feel tighter than round core strings! 

This was a public service announcement... 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Someone posted a photo of their 2025x on TB and it took me a moment before I realised that it had a maple fretboard. So I did a google search for a 2024 with a maple fretboard, and came across this, posted here on BC by @GreeneKingnine years ago. Mmmmm.BB2024X-L.jpg&key=8a59916a179ec2c23a2254

Should’ve bought it when I had the chance.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Very good! But potentially more relevant / correct than a theoretical analysis of tension based on the concept of mass-less strings? 

I think you had it right when you said that 3+2 was best cos it's balanced. We all agree with you - It's why 4 on a line headstocks don't work and never have. 
To be honest with you I think the only mistake in your theory is 5 string basses - surely we should scrap them and play 3+3 6 strings? 
Or Ned Steinburger influenced headless. 

Just now, krispn said:

From memory Galileo had some thoughts on it but I think that was more wave physics. I’d need to consult wiki or an old text book

where we're going we don't need Galileo - we're onto string theory

I appreciate that Captain Hooke's analysis may only be hanging by a thread 😊

However I do believe it is the best approach here and nice to be able to dust off my physics A-level / undergrad notes for once!

"Hooke's law is applicable not only to coil springs...but also to the bending of metal and some other materials, the stretching of wires like guitar strings, the stretching of rubber bands, and the stretching and compressing of chemical bonds."

[Source: Hooke's law (xaktly.com)]

Edited by Al Krow

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

I appreciate that Captain Hooke's analysis may only be hanging by a thread 😊

However I do believe it is the best approach here and nice to be able to dust off my physics A-level / undergrad notes for once!

"Hooke's law is applicable not only to coil springs...but also to the bending of metal and some other materials, the stretching of wires like guitar strings, the stretching of rubber bands, and the stretching and compressing of chemical bonds."

[Source: Hooke's law (xaktly.com)]

erm what are you trying to work out?
We've been using 4 a side headstocks since the early 50's - it's hardly new unproven tech