The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

4 hours ago, MattiZ said:

Some issues remain: J PU poles are not flush with the cover, they feel so sharp it would be easy to split fingernails by hitting them, and the routing still looks hideous. I have no woodwork experience, but I guess the only way to clean it up would be completely re-routing the cavity, to fit a larger PU, like the soapbar-styled J like the one from BB1000S (or the older Yamaha SB Series basses). Anybody have one to sell? Or even if not the pickup, just the soapbar cover would do!

48805D7F-8785-4EAC-9673-28030AAA324D.jpeg

The J pickup poles on my BB350 are the same.

I'm thinking of taking it apart to see if they're mounted in wax. That way I might be able to manipulate them to fit flush with the cover.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Horizontalste said:

The J pickup poles on my BB350 are the same.

I'm thinking of taking it apart to see if they're mounted in wax. That way I might be able to manipulate them to fit flush with the cover.

It should be possible. At least, there was no wax on mine, the cover was quite easily removed. Didn’t realize there would be a problem with the sharp polepieces while I had the PU apart. I might not try to force them into the pickup - the polepieces are rusty and may not move - but instead cut some cardboard slices into proper shape to fit inside the cover, punch holes for the polepieces and call it a day. 

• Like 1

I had entered a bid I was comfortable with and was having that inner struggle whether to hit confirm. A mix of 'I don't need it', 'I've ordered a Jack Casady' and 'I think Reggaebass is after this' stopped me. 

Someone's got a bargain. 

• Like 1

I’m supposed to be picking up another jazz the weekend but the seller is not very responsive, so I put a bid in at £304 on the 1024 a day or so ago, but I didn’t expect to win it at that 

• Like 2

Thought I’d found the deal of a lifetime.

in 2009 there was a small run of bb3000 reissues for the Japan market.

Saw one for sale, contacted the guy.

”it’s not mine, it’s a link of a local site in the Netherlands...”

Collect only.

Would’ve worked out at £740, could have shoved that on the credit card under the radar...

4 minutes ago, Maude said:

I had entered a bid I was comfortable with and was having that inner struggle whether to hit confirm. A mix of 'I don't need it', 'I've ordered a Jack Casady' and 'I think Reggaebass is after this' stopped me. 

Someone's got a bargain. 

I didn’t know it was your bid Maude 

2 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I’m supposed to be picking up another jazz the weekend but the seller is not very responsive, so I put a bid in at £304 on the 1024 a day or so ago, but I didn’t expect to win it at that 

Well I'll happily take it off you if you don't have the space 😅

Edited by BassApprentice
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I didn’t know it was your bid Maude 

No I hadn't actually bid. 

I meant I was about to press the 'confirm bid' button but I couldn't justify it. Glad I didn't now as I would've outbid you. 

Glad you've grabbed a bargain. 🙂👍

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Brilliant result - congrats!! 

You can finally get that white BB1024 itch, scratched. I'm looking forward to finding out how it stacks up against the rest of your not too shabby herd! 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Maude said:

I meant I was about to press the 'confirm bid' button but I couldn't justify it. Glad I didn't now as I would've outbid you. 

Thanks Maude, I feel a bit better now ,as I wouldn’t have bid knowing that you wanted it 👍

Edited by Reggaebass
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Thought I’d found the deal of a lifetime.

in 2009 there was a small run of bb3000 reissues for the Japan market.

Saw one for sale, contacted the guy.

”it’s not mine, it’s a link of a local site in the Netherlands...”

Collect only.

Would’ve worked out at £740, could have shoved that on the credit card under the radar...

@HazBeen might himself, or one of his contacts, be able to pick it up for you - and he's over in the UK pretty regularly. We could do a bass relay! Just a thought.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Brilliant result - congrats!! 

You can finally get that white BB1024 itch, scratched. I'm looking forward to finding out how it stacks up against the rest of your not too shabby herd! 

I really liked my 414 , it played and sounded great, but as you probably remember Al it had a problem with the neck , so I sold it to someone who was going to work on it, I’m hoping this one is Ok 🙂

9 minutes ago, Maude said:

4 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Thanks Maude, I feel a bit better now ,as I wouldn’t have bid knowing that you wanted it 👍

Awww...you lot.

ALL lack killer instinct. You'd make really shit Premier League footballers 😂😂

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

@HazBeen might himself, or one of his contacts, be able to pick it up for you - and he's over in the UK pretty regularly. We could do a bass relay! Just a thought.

Well I’ll send @HazBeen the link. Hopefully he can help.

if not...I will live 😉