Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

46 minutes ago, MDWagstaff said:

They may be the same in the 1025/2025 however I believe the pickups in the 615 would be the same as the 415/425's so would be a much more noticeable change 

I totally agree with that. I guess my thinking was more that you might get charged a premium if you were specifically sourcing "2025" pups. 

Hey all, I finally pulled the trigger on a BBP34. I swapped the pickguard as you can see, as the creme original wasn't for me. Easily the best quality bass I've owned. It seems to have a lot of low and low mid presence, and not loads of high, at least with how its set-up. I'm still working on getting the recording tones I want. I've just put some DR lo-rider strings on and I'm on the fence at the moment, we'll see how they wear in. I think it had D'addario's on originally when purchased.

DSC_0025_2.JPG

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, yourfurryfiend said:

Hey all, I finally pulled the trigger on a BBP34. I swapped the pickguard as you can see, as the creme original wasn't for me. Easily the best quality bass I've owned. It seems to have a lot of low and low mid presence, and not loads of high, at least with how its set-up. I'm still working on getting the recording tones I want. I've just put some DR lo-rider strings on and I'm on the fence at the moment, we'll see how they wear in. I think it had D'addario's on originally when purchased.

DSC_0025_2.JPG

Strings are the way to go. Lo Riders might not give you the zing maybe sunbeams or hibeans if you’re going with DR. Ed Friesland has a great written review of DR string side by side comparison from years ago. Worth searching for? I think Lo Riders are meant to be warmer and not have the zing of the ‘beams’

Edited by krispn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

@yourfurryfiend - congrats! That really does look great with the new PG! Have you had other Yammys before this, or did you decide to go straight for one of their current flagship models?

Thanks!! I agree. I've had a 1024 for a few years. Love the neck, love the P pickup but not the J so much. I like the generally traditional sound of the BPP34 a little more, just got to sort out the high end I think.

1 hour ago, krispn said:

Strings are the way to go. Lo Riders might not give you the zing maybe sunbeams or hibeans if you’re going with DR. Ed Friesland has a great written review of DR string side by side comparison from years ago. Worth searching for? I think Lo Riders are meant to be warmer and not have the zing of the ‘beams’

Much appreciated for the advice. I saw that mentioned before, but it appears to be a dead link. Is it the same for you?

Yeah I will definitely try one of those next time. The only reason I didn't was because I like quite low action and I believe those are meant to be less tension! 

1 minute ago, yourfurryfiend said:

Thanks!! I agree. I've had a 1024 for a few years. Love the neck, love the P pickup but not the J so much. I like the generally traditional sound of the BPP34 a little more, just got to sort out the high end I think.

Ahh excellent! Yeah I found my 1025 and P35 were similarly well matched, with the P35 just edging it overall. 

Interestingly the gritty J on the 1025 actually works really well on the low B string in the mix.

Your P34 will also be a little lighter than my former P35 which should make it super comfortable to play. 

From an email to Yamaha back in 2011 when I was considering new pickups for my BB415 rather than upgrading to a 1025X:

Part numbers for the BB1025X:

FrontPick-up - WP917300 not in stock it could be 6 weeks delivery on this and it is a retail price of £122.32 inc VAT

Rear Pick-up - WT766600 not in stock it could be 6 weeks delivery on this and it is a retail price of £79.51 inc VAT

Part numbers for the BB2025X:

Front Pick-up - WR251000 not in stock it could be 6 weeks delivery on this and it is a retail price of £132.66 inc VAT

Rear Pick-up - WR254200 not in stock it could be 6 weeks delivery on this and it is a retail price of £81.62 inc VAT

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, yourfurryfiend said:

Much appreciated for the advice. I saw that mentioned before, but it appears to be a dead link. Is it the same for you?

Yeah I will definitely try one of those next time. The only reason I didn't was because I like quite low action and I believe those are meant to be less tension! 

Yeah the link was dead for me too even from a few different sources. Guitar player (or was it guitar world magazine) might still have it rather than the bass emporium link. Strings can be an expensive road to go down too but it’s worth trying a few different sets. Dunlop’s are less expensive and Marcus Miller jumped ship from DR to Dunlop so his set might be a good starting point for a zingy alternative!

Edited by krispn
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

I always thought the 1025 and 2025 pickups were the same, but they have different part numbers and Yamaha’s spares dept were charging slightly more for the 2025 ones. They could of course still be indentical!

As I understand it , the pickups on the 2024/5 are made in Japan, the pickups on the 1024/5 are the same schematic  made elsewhere,  probably Indonesia or China.

Just clicked on a couple of Yammy 735As and was gobsmacked by their current new retail prices! 

Actually there is one place still selling them at the old prices...Bass Direct (£749), but a couple of retailers were in the £850 ball park and the Yammy store in London has it on for an eye watering £934!

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1