Al Krow

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

2 minutes ago, lee650 said:

Oooh I'd have a piece of that!! 😍

Mate, either all of it or none.

😁

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Muzz said:

I'm still GASing for a white 2024/x, but I'm unsure about the neck profile. As you've played both, is there a difference in neck profile between to 1024 and the 2024? FWIW, I found the 1024 a bit too chunky for me, the 414 I have at the moment is better...

Sorry Muzz

I had the 1025x so I haven't tried 1024.

I loved the neck on the 1025 as i found it gad a nice wide spacing a shallow C profile and a Very flat fongerboard radius which I love.

The 424 and 2024 had similar necks which I found to be very similar to my Musicman Sterling, which is a kind of chunky jazz neck (similar to 70s jazz) slim but more of a shallow D, it's a very comfortable profile indeed, I love the neck on my 424.

I love the neck on my 425, but felt the 435 was a bit faster to get around. Not quite as chunky (not that the 425 is chunky per say) and seemed flatter. 

Thanks Lee, we're getting a bit nearer; soooo, the 2024 is near the 424...now all I need is someone to compare the 424 with the 414 or 1024... 😁

This particular thread seems to have gone a bit quiet recently.

Anyhow, just for the sake of completeness if for no other reason, ardent folliwers of the thread may remember this bass, mentioned several million posts earlier on. There was speculation about what it might be and whether it might be worth the asking price....

I looked at it a few times, bobbing there on the ocean of eBay, apparently becalmed...

I don't much like wine-coloured instruments...I've had lots of 5s, including several Yamahas, and never kept them, I wasn't after anything and anyway I was sure it would disappear quick....

But there it remained.

So I bought it; it seemed a bit rude not to.

Elsewhere there's a thread about bang for the buck; well, this cost 219 quid plus a very few pounds more for shipping. For that I've got Yamaha design and build quality, a genuinely fabulous neck and great pickups....to which someone has appended an East Uni Pre running at 18v with series/parallel and active/passive switches, and some Grover lightweight tuners.. All the work has obviously been done by an extremely competent pro luthier and it has a brilliant set-up straight out of the bubblewrap...

That is £219 for a complete gem of a bass with some outstanding upgrades and that, my dear Basschat colleagues, is bang for the buck.

20200509_192705.jpg

• Like 7

36 minutes ago, CPCustomdubwise said:

Anyhow, just for the sake of completeness if for no other reason, ardent folliwers of the thread may remember this bass, mentioned several million posts earlier on. There was speculation about what it might be and whether it might be worth the asking price....

I looked at it a few times, bobbing there on the ocean of eBay, apparently becalmed...

I don't much like wine-coloured instruments...I've had lots of 5s, including several Yamahas, and never kept them, I wasn't after anything and anyway I was sure it would disappear quick....

But there it remained.

Elsewhere there's a thread about bang for the buck; well, this cost 219 quid plus a very few pounds more for shipping. For that I've got Yamaha design and build quality, a genuinely fabulous neck and great pickups....to which someone has appended an East Uni Pre running at 18v with series/parallel and active/passive switches, and some Grover lightweight tuners.. All the work has obviously been done by an extremely competent pro luthier and it has a brilliant set-up straight out of the bubblewrap...

That is £219 for a complete gem of a bass with some outstanding upgrades and that, my dear Basschat colleagues, is bang for the buck.

20200509_192705.jpg

You've essentially paid for an East Uni Pre and they've thrown in a bloody nice bass with it.

• Like 1

What model was it in the end? A BB425 by the looks of the bridge? 

Congrats on the new bass, btw, I'm intrigued what it sounds like with the addition of the East Uni-Pre. 

Just now, Al Krow said:

What model was it in the end? A BB425 by the looks of the bridge? 

Congrats on the new bass, btw, I'm intrigued what it sounds like with the addition of the East Uni-Pre. 

415WR

• Like 1

Andy - exactly right....though the little label on the back of the headstock has gone it describes itself thus in the neck pocket, along with it's YOB; 2005.

Al....well, after a bout of reckless experimentalism at the outset I have been using it passive, and, as you will be aware, like that it sounds great;  The East pre is an amazing thing but when I pushed every parameter when first trying it I soon realised that I'll take a while to use it in a nuanced way rather than just overdoing everything....so I'll get back to you once I have.

The 18v certainly does provide plenty of oomph....

The neck is the revelation; I have owned various Yamaha BBNs, plus Warwick, Tobias, Status and various other 5s, and this is the nicest 5er neck I have experienced. The closest was a Stingray and I seriously prefer this one.

• Like 3

On 29/04/2020 at 11:19, Muzz said:

I'm still GASing for a white 2024/x, but I'm unsure about the neck profile. As you've played both, is there a difference in neck profile between to 1024 and the 2024? FWIW, I found the 1024 a bit too chunky for me, the 414 I have at the moment is better...

I have never played a 1024x, but I have got a 2024x and it must be said that the neck profile is pretty chunky so the 1024X  you tried may well be very similar in profile  if not the same. I still find it perfectly playable though, and I have got fairly small hands/short fingers. 

Oooooog...thanks for the info, it's not looking good, though...I don't fancy buying a 2024 and having to fork out again to have the neck reprofiled...I might just get Jon Shuker to make me a neck to my normal profile for the 414...

Hi Guys,
I made a short sound sample with 2 guitars, with a more expensive bass and with the Yammy 424x.

I would like to listen this sound file and compare the 2 sounds. If I play the bass I feel the shape of the body I feel the resonance of the body and the neck, I can see the the guitar. It is not an objective comparison.
But I would like to make an objective comparison, that's why I made this sound sample. And just for fun :D
Both have Elixir 45-105 strings,  just plugged into the Scarlett Solo 2nd, no amp simulation, just the dry line signal. 

The specs of the 2 basses are absolultely different, but the sounds are not so far from each other. I can hear the difference, but to tell you the truth, I can't hear the 1000-1300€ difference between the 2 sounds.

What do you think, which is which?
Wich one is the better?

part 1: bass#1 finger
part 2: bass#2 finger
part 3: bass#1 pick
part 4: bass#2 pick

• Like 1

Hello Yamaha BB fans,

Just a quick question: Does anyone have any insight info on the possible Peter Hook Yamaha signature bass (maybe a remake of the BB 1200S)? Just came to my mind after watching him DJing at the Hacienda House Party (Livestream) two days ago.

Cheers!

789300672_YamahaPeterHook.thumb.jpg.0a768cb5c41843fbbbf7d5b42733365e.jpg 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Zolko said:

Hi Guys,
I made a short sound sample with 2 guitars, with a more expensive bass and with the Yammy 424x.

I would like to listen this sound file and compare the 2 sounds. If I play the bass I feel the shape of the body I feel the resonance of the body and the neck, I can see the the guitar. It is not an objective comparison.
But I would like to make an objective comparison, that's why I made this sound sample. And just for fun :D
Both have Elixir 45-105 strings,  just plugged into the Scarlett Solo 2nd, no amp simulation, just the dry line signal. 

The specs of the 2 basses are absolultely different, but the sounds are not so far from each other. I can hear the difference, but to tell you the truth, I can't hear the 1000-1300€ difference between the 2 sounds.

What do you think, which is which?
Wich one is the better?

part 1: bass#1 finger
part 2: bass#2 finger
part 3: bass#1 pick
part 4: bass#2 pick

I think the first one is the Yamaha and the second is some kind of Fender. Both sound great!

• Like 1

On 09/05/2020 at 19:52, CPCustomdubwise said:

But there it remained.

20200509_192705.jpg

You jammy ÷=/_€#@€/[email protected] 😂

Nice purchase! Very well done,give me call if you want to move it on! 😁

On 11/05/2020 at 14:42, Muzz said:

Oooooog...thanks for the info, it's not looking good, though...I don't fancy buying a 2024 and having to fork out again to have the neck reprofiled...I might just get Jon Shuker to make me a neck to my normal profile for the 414...

If it helps, the 5 string version has a profile that is fairly un-chunky for a 5 string , if you see what I mean.

1 hour ago, Misdee said:

If it helps, the 5 string version has a profile that is fairly un-chunky for a 5 string , if you see what I mean.

Yeah - that's very true and perhaps a bit weird that the 5 string Yammy BBs have such playable necks, compared to some of their chunkier necked 4 string brethren.

23 hours ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Hello Yamaha BB fans,

Just a quick question: Does anyone have any insight info on the possible Peter Hook Yamaha signature bass (maybe a remake of the BB 1200S)? Just came to my mind after watching him DJing at the Hacienda House Party (Livestream) two days ago.

Cheers!

789300672_YamahaPeterHook.thumb.jpg.0a768cb5c41843fbbbf7d5b42733365e.jpg 

The release has been put back until later this year.  Jack Bates spoke about it a couple of weeks ago. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, hookys6stringbass said:

Hooky has signed the contract for his signature bass.... not long now

Screenshot_20200512-195826_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20200512-195805_Instagram.jpg

Great news. I hope it will look like the one in the photo I posted. I am already saving money 😎

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Great news. I hope it will look like the one in the photo I posted. I am already saving money 😎

Yes it will.... shame Hooky didn't have the pictures on him at the time.... can't wait for all the promotional pictures and spec to come out.... 

Hopefully still got the Hooky pro 6 before it comes out...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hookys6stringbass said:

Hooky has signed the contract for his signature bass.... not long now

Screenshot_20200512-195826_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20200512-195805_Instagram.jpg

Excellent.  Cash ready....   

• Like 2

I'd never played a Yamaha bass until yesterday, when I received a BB 1204x in exchange for an Ibby six string I had been trying to sell for some time. 

Played along to a couple of my usual live Grateful Dead CDs yesterday afternoon and it sounds and feels good. No idea where it fits in the Yamaha hierarchy, but it's a decent bass.