Al Krow

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

On 27/12/2019 at 00:52, Dean Vincent said:

Sadly it looks and sounds to me from photos and YouTube videos that the latest incarnation of the BB is a Fender Precision Bass clone, albeit better made and a PJ, and it sounds to me very clear, but bland and forgettable.

Can someone who owns one please tell me I'm wrong and why?

I want to be wrong because I think my BB424 is superb and I hoped its successor would be even better.

On 27/12/2019 at 01:59, Dean Vincent said:

Are you agreeing with me that they do sound very similar?

I was the one that made the video comparisons a few  pages back. While all of the BB basses have a variation of the p bass sound, I can clearly hear the difference from my 60s Am. Orig. bass. They sound different, but I like them both for the different takes  on that same sound.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Vanheusen77 said:

I was the one that made the video comparisons a few  pages back. While all of the BB basses have a variation of the p bass sound, I can clearly hear the difference from my 60s Am. Orig. bass. They sound different, but I like them both for the different takes  on that same sound.

To me it seemed like a tiny difference, compared to the difference between BB series 2 and 3 which I thought was massive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPiAOdGQeeY

Edited by Dean Vincent

Interesting, will check it out! I actually have a 1024x as well but have not used it in a couple of years due to it being slightly tour damaged.

EDIT: Checked it out. He only used both pickups on for all basses except the first on which he used the bridge(although he wrote neck pickup for some reason). But you are right that they definetely sound different on both pickups for sure(I kind of liked the newer ones). What really blew me away in that clip though was the amp sound, which apparently was one of the Logic bass amp models. I have to use them more😀!

Edited by Vanheusen77
Update

Anyone looking to part with their P35...Saw that Harry had traded his a couple of days back so that one is no longer available.

• Like 1

The best combination of amp cab and bass I ever owned. The bass was the cheapest part of the set up to buy but it's off the shelf sound is so good that it was worth the expense of the amp and cab in order to let that sound be heard clearly.

20191226_114339.jpg

• Like 5

@mrtcat congratulations mate, that's an awesome rig! 

I'll have to fess that I find it difficult other than through a close inspection of the pups to distinguish the BB424X and the BB1024X models, so you'll need to please spill the beans on which of the two models you have there?

2 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I'll have to fess that I find it difficult other than through a close inspection of the pups to distinguish the BB424X and the BB1024X models, so you'll need to please spill the beans on which of the two models you have there?

My uneducated guess would be a 1024, as the bridge looks more substantial. 

2 minutes ago, Dean Vincent said:

I was wondering the same thing. They aren't 424 front pups, so it's either a 1024X or a 2024X.

And if that is the case, then by virtue of the bass not being the most expensive bit of his rig it would appear to be a 1024X (which tbf was the bass he had a wanted ad up after a while back). The plot thickens...😁

8 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

And if that is the case, then by virtue of the bass not being the most expensive bit of his rig it would appear to be a 1024X (which tbf was the bass he had a wanted ad up after a while back). The plot thickens...😁

I think that's right, and it doesn't look like the 2024X came in white anyway

https://europe.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/guitars_basses/el_basses/bb/index.html

My bad, only the 2024 didn't ....

Edited by Dean Vincent

Hope this isn't out of order... if it is please delete... but seeing as this is a massive Yamaha thread I thought I'd let the basschat massive know before I put it up on my Vintage Yamaha BB Facebook page...

I'll be selling my Black BB734A and possibly my Yamaha BB 1200 (in natural )in the new year... if anyone is interested please don't hesitate to contact me.... 

2 hours ago, hookys6stringbass said:

Hope this isn't out of order... if it is please delete... but seeing as this is a massive Yamaha thread I thought I'd let the basschat massive know before I put it up on my Vintage Yamaha BB Facebook page...

I'll be selling my Black BB734A and possibly my Yamaha BB 1200 (in natural )in the new year... if anyone is interested please don't hesitate to contact me.... 

Proper protocol is to list in the classifieds and then link to it from here. 

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

It is indeed a 1024x. I bought it used from this very forum for under £500. It has pushed a selection of far more expensive basses down the pecking order and is my go to bass for live work. 

1 hour ago, mrtcat said:

It is indeed a 1024x. I bought it used from this very forum for under £500. It has pushed a selection of far more expensive basses down the pecking order and is my go to bass for live work. 

They really are that good, aren't they?!

I think @Muzz has had a similar experience with his BB which is on the verge of pushing a Sandberg out the door (just as mine did 18 months back!)

15 minutes ago, johnny1982 said:

Can anybody explain what is the main difference between :

a) Yamaha BB2025 and BB2025x

b) Yamaha BB1025 and BB2025

Thanks☺️

The X series has a scratch plate 

13 minutes ago, johnny1982 said:

Can anybody explain what is the main difference between :

a) Yamaha BB2025 and BB2025x

b) Yamaha BB1025 and BB2025

Thanks☺️

a) 2025 has no scratchplate or chrome control cavity cover. Essentially the same bass other than that.

b) 1025 assembled in Indonesia 2025 assembled in Japan. Both use the same parts although I believe the 2025 body is subjected to the vibration treatment. 

Heat and vibration treatment. They are supposed to have the same hardware but the pickups do have different part numbers if you try to order them as spares!

The body contouring is supposed too be subtly sleeker on the Japanese one but I haven't held them side by side to verify for myself. The neck definitely feels more luxurious though, with a rubbed oil finish and smoother edges around the fingerboard and headstock.

Edited by dannybuoy

So......those purveyors of many Yammy’s often side by side do they feel/hear/see a noticeable difference for those that have had the IRA treatment?

35 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

So......those purveyors of many Yammy’s often side by side do they feel/hear/see a noticeable difference for those that have had the IRA treatment?

Interested in that myself too... Anyone tried an IRA bass 1 on 1against a non treated one?

Thanks for the answers guys🙏

IRA is sort of like road worn wood. Not the finish, but the wood itself. It's been treated so its settled already. 

I personally think its a gimmick, although i can see the logic behind it. I'd rather pay less and not have it. After all, you cant tell what its doing as there are no direct with or without models. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, johnny1982 said:

Interested in that myself too... Anyone tried an IRA bass 1 on 1against a non treated one?

Thanks for the answers guys🙏

The new series 3 P34 / P35s have the IRA treatment. It supposedly delivers a "played in" feel to the bass, which obviously will happen to a bass anyway once it's been played in. So the difference between a new P35 and an old BB, on that score, is likely to become marginal due to the old BB having been played in. 

Harry, who bought my P35, said it felt very played in and really well balanced etc. But it was 18 months old by the time he bought it. So how much was an accelerated effect of IRA and how much simply being played in (particularly by the guy who had it before me), I have no way of telling. 

I guess the parallel is with Sandberg aging of their basses. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dave_bass5 said:

IRA is sort of like road worn wood. Not the finish, but the wood itself. It's been treated so its settled already. 

I personally think its a gimmick, although i can see the logic behind it. I'd rather pay less and not have it. After all, you cant tell what its doing as there are no direct with or without models. 

Thanks very much dave , I can’t say I’ve heard of that 👍

• Like 1