Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

1 hour ago, MrDinsdale said:

Yeah it seems like such a waste. I’m still confused as to why the 734a is only available with a painted neck too, sure some people like that but I’ve always hated it especially when it has such a nice neck to show off.

I’m possibly going to trade for a 734a but I’ll be sanding the paint off the neck pretty swiftly!

I also hate the idea of painted necks, but find the paint on my 734a and BBPH really nice and matte, like a good satin neck. I also have a bass with a roasted maple neck and the feel isn't a million miles apart.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Lord Summerisle said:

I think almost everyone who buys the matte black stealth BB734A does so enjoying the fact that the entire thing is black, not just the body and front of headstock. I know that was a big draw for me. I hear you on the coffee coloured version though.

BTW I added to the vibe by taking fine wire wool to the pick guard to make it also matte, and I coloured in the 3 ply of the pick guard to be all black. I think the entire vibe would be lost with a wood finish neck.

Tbf I’ve never played the 734 or seen one in real life so I might feel differently when I get my hands on it. I’ve never enjoyed painted necks but then they’ve often been more glossy so perhaps the matte finish is going to change my mind!

Nice idea with the pick guard👌I love the matte black pick guard on my Schecters. 

I appreciate these are BB Basses in name rather than in appearance, but I’ve recently acquired an almost identical twin to my long-serving BB604.

They are both from 2003 (serial number says even the same month…) identical colour, spec and weight (both are 3.8kg and well balanced thanks to that small headstock.)

My main one is a bit more scuffed up and feels a little bit more resonant and loud, possibly because I’ve played it to death for the last seven years. 

Both strung with D’Addario NYXLs too. The newer bass has got replacement Gotoh machine heads, my main one has the originals. 

When I got the first one back in 2016 it quickly became the best value bit of gear I had and a proper Swiss Army knife bass to cover loads of different stuff. So I’ve been on the lookout for another for a while and this came up on Basschat over the summer. 

Delighted. Excuse to play it loud at a gig expected in the coming weeks. 

IMG_9913.png

IMG_9917.jpeg

Edited by bassbiscuits
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, MrDinsdale said:

Tbf I’ve never played the 734 or seen one in real life so I might feel differently when I get my hands on it. I’ve never enjoyed painted necks but then they’ve often been more glossy so perhaps the matte finish is going to change my mind!

Nice idea with the pick guard👌I love the matte black pick guard on my Schecters. 

The matte black paint of my BB734A’s neck feels great, and has remained so for several years of use. Worth you giving it a try, I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

On 27/10/2023 at 14:13, bassbiscuits said:

I appreciate these are BB Basses in name rather than in appearance, but I’ve recently acquired an almost identical twin to my long-serving BB604.

They are both from 2003 (serial number says even the same month…) identical colour, spec and weight (both are 3.8kg and well balanced thanks to that small headstock.)

My main one is a bit more scuffed up and feels a little bit more resonant and loud, possibly because I’ve played it to death for the last seven years. 

Both strung with D’Addario NYXLs too. The newer bass has got replacement Gotoh machine heads, my main one has the originals. 

When I got the first one back in 2016 it quickly became the best value bit of gear I had and a proper Swiss Army knife bass to cover loads of different stuff. So I’ve been on the lookout for another for a while and this came up on Basschat over the summer. 

Delighted. Excuse to play it loud at a gig expected in the coming weeks. 

IMG_9913.png

IMG_9917.jpeg

I really love those basses. I am trying to sell my BB605 but I am not 100% sure. Anyway, those Gotoh tuners are a direct replacement? 

1 hour ago, javi_bassist said:

I really love those basses. I am trying to sell my BB605 but I am not 100% sure. Anyway, those Gotoh tuners are a direct replacement? 

Hello - yes the Gotoh tuners seem to be a direct replacement by the previous owner. They look lovely and work well. I've looked for a BB605 but can't find one that is light enough for me to find comfortable to play.

• Like 1

Wasn't sure about the painted neck on the 734a at first, looks wise. 

I prefer a nice, clear satin neck, but the paint feels great. 

I MIGHT refinish the whole thing in a nice bright colour at some point, but the coffee-burst is really growing on me. 

Have had a lot of very positive remarks about the finish, 'classy' being the usual comment. 

Couple of months in and remain delighted with the instrument. 

The tone, versatility and ease of use are remarkable. 

Feels like a quality bit of kit, can't see me changing to another bass anytime soon. 

I keep finding little touches in the build that make me smile, such as the quality of minor components such as screws, strap buttons etc. 

• Like 1

I’ve always loved the look of the 734a, the matte black, the shape of the inlays and the design on the headstock.

I’m currently playing in a pretty noisy rock band at the mo, mostly with pick. I love the tone of my Schecter J bass but just really struggle getting the action where I want it compared to my bass with a multi laminate neck. Hoping the 734 fairs a little better in this regard.

How have people found the neck/action?

14 hours ago, Rusty Spanner said:

Wasn't sure about the painted neck on the 734a at first, looks wise. 

I prefer a nice, clear satin neck, but the paint feels great. 

I was happy with the painted neck until I got a Schecter CV5 and a Fender American Ultra jazz bass. Now, I prefer a satin neck. The painted neck is not that bad, but now I prefer a satin neck.

14 hours ago, MrDinsdale said:

I’ve always loved the look of the 734a, the matte black, the shape of the inlays and the design on the headstock.

I’m currently playing in a pretty noisy rock band at the mo, mostly with pick. I love the tone of my Schecter J bass but just really struggle getting the action where I want it compared to my bass with a multi laminate neck. Hoping the 734 fairs a little better in this regard.

How have people found the neck/action?

I had a BB734 matte black and I have a BB735 and the action can get really really low. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Raslee said:

Are the BB734’s  heavy? Since recently getting my BB1100S I’m starting to get BB GAS….first time in a long time! 

Not wanting to put anyone off buying another BB but the 734a is like the modern version of an 1100s, both being active PJ bolt ons. But I think the 1100s is the better bass. 

Weight wise, not having actually weighed them, I'd say my 1100s is heavier than my 734a. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks. I have to admit I’ve been pleasantly surprised and quite smitten with my BB1100S which is now seeing a lot more action over my more expensive basses. Just seems to sit right in the mix, albeit I’m most playing the P pickup in passive. I think I got lucky as my 1100S is only 8.3lbs. I do like the active for a bit of boost, especially Fleetwood Mac’s ‘The Chain’ outro which of course demands a bit of bass attention 😂

Does the BB734A have a passive tone option like the 1100? 

The 1100s has an extra toggle for pickup selection so the knob by the volume is a dedicated tone knob for passive, on the 734a there's no pickup toggle so that dedicated tone is a pickup blend. The treble control doubles as the tone when in passive. 

I prefer the 1100s controls as your sound is set for passive or active, on 734a you use the tone control in passive and then flick to active and your treble has been moved. Not a huge deal but unnecessary. 

• Thanks 1

Well I picked up the 734 today. First impressions are excellent!

Replaced the bridge with a Babicz I got cheap and added some new strings, gave it a rough set up and now it sounds very clear and punchy. Way more natural growl there than I expected too. 

My original plan was to pops couple of multicoil humbucker pickups in for a Wal vibe. I actually like it too much to deface it so think I’ll just make a new body, not too far off the Amos Heller custom with those so I can always switch back if I want the original. That’ll take time to get sorted, until then this is my new favourite bass!

Jury is still out on the painted neck, it feels way better than expected although still think I’d prefer cosmetically if it was natural wood on the back. In no hurry to sand it down or anything though. 

• Like 4