Why become a member? ×

Short Scale Cheap Build

Jabba_the_gut

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1491906178' post='3276297']
Lovely, just lovely.

One day when I've got the space....
[/quote]

Cheers.

Go on, have a go at making one. Doesn't need much space....just have to put up with the dust and chippings etc everywhere!!!

I'm going to finish this bass with oil - tried a little on the neck and it looks really nice. Hopefully get to do some work on this over Easter

[quote name='Jabba_the_gut' timestamp='1491911893' post='3276360']
Cheers.

Go on, have a go at making one. Doesn't need much space....just have to put up with the dust and chippings etc everywhere!!!

I'm going to finish this bass with oil - tried a little on the neck and it looks really nice. Hopefully get to do some work on this over Easter
[/quote]

I used Danish Oil on a bass body I finished last year - I was very pleased with the results.

AS for the space - it's mainly the space to keep the tools. My once-commodious shed now seems full !

What would you saw are the essentials, powered-tools wise ? Router and a bandsaw ?

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1491912384' post='3276369']
I used Danish Oil on a bass body I finished last year - I was very pleased with the results.

AS for the space - it's mainly the space to keep the tools. My once-commodious shed now seems full !

What would you saw are the essentials, powered-tools wise ? Router and a bandsaw ?
[/quote]

These are the main bits of kit I have - really nothing special, The bandsaw is really small - was £20 off eBay. I did also buy the cheapest planer/thicknesser in the Screwfix sale but that is a recent acquisition. The drill stand was off Freecycle.....

Edited by Jabba_the_gut

[quote name='Jabba_the_gut' timestamp='1492027655' post='3277362']
These are the main bits of kit I have - really nothing special, The bandsaw is really small - was £20 off eBay. I did also buy the cheapest planer/thicknesser in the Screwfix sale but that is a recent acquisition. The drill stand was off Freecycle.....

[/quote]

I showed my wife this thread and she said "Oooooh, see I told you we needed a router !"

:)

I think you may have inspired a new hobby

[quote name='Jabba_the_gut' timestamp='1492465004' post='3280543']
I've put the first coat of oil on, I'm quite pleased with how the colours have come out so far.

[/quote]
:o Gah! I need to get a dribble guard for my keyboard.

Costs so far...

Sapele wood for body £20
Truss rod £10
Tuners £6
Bridge £7
Neck wood £0 (offcuts)
Central block on body £0 (rejected from another project)
Fretboard £0 (recycled)
Spalted beech £0 (offcut - I paid £15 for the piece this came from which also made the top in a previous post)
Wenge veneer £4 (cut from a larger piece bought for £16)
EMG pickup £5 (from bargain bin in local guitar shop)
Nut £4
Fret wire £9
Strap buttons £3

There are also costs for consumables, such as sandpaper and glue, and also the cost of the oil but there will be plenty of that left for future projects. I appreciate that isn't a true cost so far as I have used some scrap/offcuts of wood I already had but I am trying to keep the cost low for this one. I'm just hoping it sounds okay when done!!

[quote name='Bass_Guardian' timestamp='1493048063' post='3285173']
Fancy builidng me one? :gas: :gas: stunning!
[/quote]

Cheers for the comments, much appreciated. I've put another coat of oil on and I'm really pleased with how it's looking. Just need to sort some kind of logo on the head.

I've enjoyed this build so think I'll make another, if this one plays okay. I have a thin-ish piece of buckeye I'm thinking of using on another one if these that's about the same thickness as the spalted beech on this. I'm also going to have a couple of bits of birdseye maple officers from another neck which I think might make a nice combination.