Why become a member? ×

Help me spend a lot of money

Bridgehouse

No mention of Enfield Basses with the SimS system -

http://www.simscustom.com/pickups/

Loads of videos on YT.

Basically you a pick up that will give you P/J and H settings. Buy a pair and you get 15 different combinations. Add a preamp and you've got virtually every bass ever made contained in one instrument. After that it comes to timbers and design.

I have a set in my AJR build - range of tones is amazing. Yeah, they are relatively expensive but if you're planning on keeping the bass it's money well spent. May not ever be worth a fortune but it's unlikely anything you buy for the same money ever will be either.

Eventually comes down to what you're after - a player or an investment.

[quote name='Bridgehouse' timestamp='1488123282' post='3246037']
Cat. Pigeons. Lots of feathers.

Played about 15 Jazz's today.

Couple of old ones. A few 70s ones. A number of new ones and some alternates (Sandberg, Lakland etc..)

Didn't like the thin neck on any of them. Sigh. Just didn't feel right.

Played a '58 Precision briefly and a '64 Precision. Felt like home and they were both bloody beautiful to play.

Ugh. Talk about a let down
[/quote]

Oh no! But also, great! You're beginning to find what you like. :)

Now the fun begins........

The annoying thing (if you're like many of us) you might love the [i] next [/i] jazz you pick up :lol:

Edited by Dazed

[quote name='Bridgehouse' timestamp='1488126468' post='3246074']

Very true. I love the Jazz tone - so maybe I do need to find a J body with a P neck - but it drops the vintage thing out tho.

And now I've tried some pre-CBS precisions... groan..
[/quote]

There is no shortage of people who prefer J necks on P basses, so it shouldn't be too hard to make that happen.

[quote name='therealting' timestamp='1488131853' post='3246152']
There is no shortage of people who prefer J necks on P basses, so it shouldn't be too hard to make that happen.
[/quote]

I'm tempted to scratch the pre-CBS itch with a Precision. And then cobble together a J with a P neck for tones... Most of you will think I'm utterly mad, but, well.. you'd be right.

[quote name='Bridgehouse' timestamp='1488132165' post='3246157']
I'm tempted to scratch the pre-CBS itch with a Precision. And then cobble together a J with a P neck for tones... Most of you will think I'm utterly mad, but, well.. you'd be right.
[/quote]

Why not? And even then there are different P necks (A/B/C). My 61 has a 44mm neck. My CIJ has a 42mm, and I have played some which have 40mm necks.

[quote name='therealting' timestamp='1488133064' post='3246173']
Why not? And even then there are different P necks (A/B/C). My 61 has a 44mm neck. My CIJ has a 42mm, and I have played some which have 40mm necks.
[/quote]

That's a good point. My 74 P is a 42mm maple. The 64 P I tried was a 44mm Braz RW. Different, but in a good way. :happy:

More great food for thought.

If you're going to get a P then a couple of the shops on Denmark street have vintage 60's ones in stock (can't remember the specific years though sorry). I was in Wunjos on Friday buying a slightly more modestly priced but still absolutely killer P myself - they've got some great stuff in at the moment & are good guys to deal with.

[quote name='Bridgehouse' timestamp='1488123282' post='3246037']
Cat. Pigeons. Lots of feathers.

Played about 15 Jazz's today.

Couple of old ones. A few 70s ones. A number of new ones and some alternates (Sandberg, Lakland etc..)

Didn't like the thin neck on any of them. Sigh. Just didn't feel right.

Played a '58 Precision briefly and a '64 Precision. Felt like home and they were both bloody beautiful to play.

Ugh. Talk about a let down
[/quote]

How about a Degier Bebop?
He might be able to put a P-type neck on the bass, and he makes great basses with a vintage vibe.

Have you checked out Gill Yaron? A few years ago he built a replica of a '61 Jazz bass, even building the capacitors himself as the original spec caps weren't made any more.
Anyway, it sounds and looks amazing and is reassuringly expensive.

https://youtu.be/QwYoi9G67DU

• 3 weeks later...

With healthy sum of money to spend I'd like the mention the following

http://www.gbguitars.co.uk/
http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk
http://overwaterbasses.com

Keeping it local... :)

All 3 could create your desired JB

Not to mention Sei.... But they've been mentioned already hehe