Why become a member? ×

SCAMMER! Avoid Gearmans!!!

Clarky72

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1487599714' post='3241049']
Ok if you really must know!

There are two options. One is to flag as a spammer. This stops the user posting anything including PMs. It's a one click solution but doesn't move the member to the 'banned' user group which just changes the name under their avatar. I sometimes use this if I want to look into a user more thoroughly later on but stop them using the site immediately.

The second option is to 'ban' the user, which means one of two things. One is to essentially do exactly as it says above, but manually. The last step of the manual process moves them to the banned group but otherwise just a long winded way of doing the same thing. I can't do it easily from my iPad or phone.

Occasionally I'll ban a user from posting and allow them to PM if I'm trying to investigate a scam and want to give the user a chance to speak to me directly.

You probably don't know it but behind the scenes we spend a tremendous amount of time helping people with problems and it's never talked about on the forum so rest assured we'll be doing lots of things to help everyone we can. This includes cooperating with the police, asctng as a go between between two members with a dispute and exchanging information about scammers between other sites. The mods are amazingly helpful with all this despite our official position being that we don't take any responsibility.

Any more questions feel free to ask, there's a very good reason for doing what we do and the software limitations might not always make it clear to the outside observer what's been done. You'll notice that as soon as I had a message about this the guy was flagged and I spent a day investigating him and speaking to colleagues. In due course I'll Ben speaking to others on this thread and seeing what I can do to help.
[/quote]

Hi Ped,

thank you for taking the time to expalin all that. Hopefully everything is now clearer for all those that needed clarification. As a relative newbie I was merely playing devil's advocate. I have been a member of various forums for many years and now the hrs of thankless work that is put in by mods so I know it's not an easy job.

Keep up the great work, it is an amazing forum!

cheers,

Chris

[quote name='dyerseve' timestamp='1487683254' post='3241770']
Hi Ped,

thank you for taking the time to expalin all that. Hopefully everything is now clearer for all those that needed clarification. As a relative newbie I was merely playing devil's advocate. I have been a member of various forums for many years and now the hrs of thankless work that is put in by mods so I know it's not an easy job.

Keep up the great work, it is an amazing forum!

cheers,

Chris
[/quote]

No problem, I don't claim to be an expert and the software isn't very intuitive so I've had to discover a lot of things on my own!

Cheers
ped

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1487589323' post='3240901']
So as per my post, why not make the wanted ads part invisible to members until they've made a certain number of posts and established themselves ?
[/quote]

But you might miss out on other things. It comes down to your own precautions, I have been offered something I wanted by someone who joined the forum to offer it to me, so I will pick it up in person as they could obviously be anyone. If they couldn't see wanted I wouldn't be able to get it.

I think this site is fabulous - has to be one of the best behaved and well run sites on the internet (even if my addiction to the classifieds has cost me a small fortune in the past 11 years). Yes there are a tiny handful of dickheads but not many. It just that they usually make a lot of noise so make themselves known. I have the greatest respect for Ped, Kiwi and the mod team who do sterling work.

About 20 years ago I stated and ran a discussion forum in what was then a fledgling internet and know exactly how difficult it is. I can only assume it is more complex to deal with trolls nowdays.

A point to consider for all in these situations when dealing with 'newbies'... another forum I use, most people tend to have a 'send first - pay later' rule or a 'half up front' when dealing with people who have not been on the forum very long. If you have an extensive feedback trail with a long history on the forum of positive transactions, I would have thought that this wouldn't be too much of an issue for newbies to get their head around.
Clearly this is up to the individual situation, and I can't imagine anyone sending a Fodera in the hope that someone will pay for it on arrival but it would probably be something to consider for lower cost transactions with maybe the half up-front idea for most costly items.

Just my 2-penneth worth I suppose. I will also add that I have also never had any issues trading on the forum and generally, I find most BC'ers are lovely chappies! Lots of them have sponsored me for my London Marathon run in April (shameless plug - see this forum) and they have never met me. Top bunch of geezers!

It's been discussed many times but the flip side of the half up front thing would be for example, I wouldn't send out my Stingray Classic 5 unless ALL the funds had cleared, it would be insured to cover my end if it didn't get there and photographed to within an inch of it's life too avoid "I've found a little mark and I want £50 back to cover it" discussions.