Why become a member? ×

Chas & Dave, Big Jim Sullivan and...errr...Eminem

Mykesbass

Well I never, I pride myself on knowing a load of completely useless stuff when it comes to music, and have been a long time fan of Chas & Dave, mainly for their work outside of the hits, but I quite like them too. But I had absolutely no idea that Dave's bassline, and Jim's arrangement was responsible for one of Eminem's biggest hits:
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKISdd2mKzU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKISdd2mKzU[/url]

Eff me, the Eminem stuff starts at roughly 2 mins in and there''s absolutely no doubt that's the sample.

I had no idea.

I always wondered about the references to caps in gangsta rap.

Turns out Chas n Dave are going to pop a flat cap in yo B***h A** Mother F*****rs.

Edited by Cato

[quote name='sbrag' timestamp='1485979571' post='3228256']
There was a Chas and Dave documentary out a couple of years ago where i belive they claimed that this has been the most sampled piece of music ever.

Chas and Dave are hip hop legends. Gertcha
[/quote]

I saw that and Dave explained how the bass part had been the basis of that part of the Labi Siffre song - everything builds around the bass and drum pattern.

Actually I came across Chas Hodges as the sessions bass player on an album I bought in the early 70s called the London Sessions, by Jerry Lee Lewis - I bought it because of the featured guitarists including both Lees, Albert and Alvin. I then found Chas Hodges to have played bass with Heads Hands and Feet, including playing bass on Country Boy - it's all good stuff!

So these guys really were in the sessions scene and other famous bands well before the Chas and Dave stuff - though I was always impressed with Dave's bass parts on that.

The Eminem sample sounds just that - a sample straight from the track with the addition of the DJ scratching. I rather like the Eminem track as well!

Edited by drTStingray