Why become a member? ×

Bass tab or help for 'Hill Street Blues'

Rocker

My wife's niece plays piano and she can play Hill Street Blues. Everything else she plays are classical music pieces. I would like to play bass with her playing HSB. The key is Eb and any help/guidance is much appreciated.

There is a video posted somewhere of a guy playing this tune on bass but the picture quality is poor....

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1485796518' post='3226768']
Mike Post I believe. Love the song. Work it out by ear.
[/quote]
There are some people that can't do this at all, and, in my case, people who just can't get their ears around certain parts. Mine was Bonnie Raitt's I Can't Make Yo Love Me - just couldn't hear the intervals properly. I got the same response, which frankly was as much use as a one legged man in an ar5e kicking contest!

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1485820266' post='3227049']
Is this any good ?

It's from the Hal Leonard TV theme real book.

Can't vouch for it's accuracy, cos I'm not familiar with the programme.
[/quote]

Thanks Ambient but I can't read music. I struggle with tab but usually get there in the end. One of my problems with this tune is that I only have it online, which is poor sound quality and hard to hear what is going on. And I don't have it on CD....

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1485847965' post='3227081']
Mine was Bonnie Raitt's I Can't Make Yo Love Me - just couldn't hear the intervals properly. I got the same response, which frankly was as much use as a one legged man in an ar5e kicking contest!
[/quote]
I must have missed the original request. Do you still need this Mykesbass? I can hear it clearly and can have a go at tabbing it or rendering it in fly sh*t if you still want it. Beautiful tasteful bit of fretless playing by the great Hutch I believe.

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1485866046' post='3227271']

I must have missed the original request. Do you still need this Mykesbass? I can hear it clearly and can have a go at tabbing it or rendering it in fly sh*t if you still want it. Beautiful tasteful bit of fretless playing by the great Hutch I believe.
[/quote]
Thanks Pete, but I was using a historic request to make a point. ChrisB came to the rescue at the time. Yes, lovely part, and very straightforward but at the time I just couldn't hear the intervals!

[quote name='Rocker' timestamp='1485863370' post='3227232']
I struggle with tab but usually get there in the end. One of my problems with this tune is that I only have it online, which is poor sound quality and hard to hear what is going on.
[/quote]

If you instead, were to persevere (and struggle ;) ) with playing by ear, it would pay more dividends in the long run than using tabs.

Sorry, did not intend for the above to sound like a lecture. :)

In the meantime....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dla5ZiqVW5g

[quote name='Rocker' timestamp='1485863370' post='3227232']

Thanks Ambient but I can't read music. I struggle with tab but usually get there in the end. One of my problems with this tune is that I only have it online, which is poor sound quality and hard to hear what is going on. And I don't have it on CD....
[/quote]

It's not written out, it's just the chords, thought you could maybe just follow them, the bass line will be built from them.

Edited by ambient

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1485866520' post='3227276']
Thanks Pete, but I was using a historic request to make a point. ChrisB came to the rescue at the time. Yes, lovely part, and very straightforward but at the time I just couldn't hear the intervals!
[/quote]
No worries. I know what you mean too - normally I don't have any problems, but there are one or two exceptions, that run in the intro of Black Velvet springs to mind, took ages to figure out.