Why become a member? ×

Could this be a staright forward repair job?

If the neck was a standard Fender length I'm sure that would be gone in no time. 2 octave necks aren't so easy to get (as I'm sure you know)
Generally I find stuff being sold by that seller aren't such great value for money. When I've looked into pricing their damaged goods I've always found that if you add the cost of the repair to the buy price, you may as we buy a good one.

Good luck to you if you go for it.

you could find a good way forward is a PM to Manton Customs. He'd give you an honest answer that's useful

The thing you also need to remember is you've found they go for £1500 used. But that price is good for one with no visible signs that the nack has come to grief. If the cracks still show, then the price will drop by something.

Edited by Grangur

If you're serious about chasing this I'd PM Andyjr1515 and Jabba the Gut who may be able to help. Alternative you could go down the headless route -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-Set-Black-4-String-Headless-Bass-Guitar-Bridge-System-Guitar-Parts-D8I7-/131991588457?hash=item1ebb4fce69:g:aD0AAOSw44BYGWaw

Lots of ??? in the entries under hardware and electronics. I was immediately suspicious of the EMG-HZ badges on the pickups - to my knowledge the Euros never had those, they were fitted with tonepumps and 'proper' EMG's.
The RRP in the title is purely there to be misleading too IMO.
Be afraid.

It looks like a bit of a messy break to me, although it's hard to see exactly what's going on. If it had snapped right off cleanly that would be ok, but there appear to be longer cracks running down the back of the neck which you'd have to open up somehow. You don't want to glue it back up but leave internal splits unglued; and if it's still kind of hanging together, you might do more damage in getting it right off to reglue it. I'm normally quite happy to have a go at this kind of thing but I don't think I'd go for this.

I had a Gretsch with a snapped neck repaired about 5 years back, the guy who did it for me did say it was borderline as to whether it was repairable as it was a very clean break with "not much meat on either side to work with" he did a fantastic job with carbon fibre inserts, it has never moved a single millimetre since the repair.

This break looks like it has far more "meat" to work with ( I think by that he meant surface area to be rejoined / repaired?) so it does look like a fairly straight forward repair however whether it is a bargain given the the above comments is a different matter, and remember if you did buy it and have it repaired it would always show and the resale value of the bass would be substantially lower than an un-repaired one

As far as I remember, Euros are neck through, so a replacement is out of the question. They should also have full fat EMG's and tonepump. I've got a neck through Carvin where the neck had to removed and it was hacked off, a neck pocket machined in the body and a bolt on neck attached. Marlleaux did the work and it is amazing but probably cost a fortune as it involved a complete refinish..
Don't think this one is worth anything like the price G4M want.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...