Why become a member? ×

Queen Bassist falls ill

bluesparky

During the load-in at Cardiff t'other day, we received the news that Queen's bassist - Danny Miranda - had unfortunately fallen ill.
Initially our first thoughts were that the gig would be pulled and we'd get another day off, but then i had one of those crazy daydreams that i'm sure we all have.
I mentioned to my peers that i knew the set, i was a decent bass player, i can read music very well and i'd obviously seen every show of the tour so far - surely a perfect replacement!
I was jesting as i knew it wouldn't really come to anything, and we all just assumed that the gig would be cancelled.
It then emerged over our "will-it-won't-it-happen" long lunch that Neil Murray had been drafted in with hours to go and would be taking over the bass duties for the next couple of shows.
We then finished the setup of the gig and i waited with morbid anticipation to see how he'd get on.
Neil had spent the bus journey with the MD and guitarist learning the set and nailed it!
He played a perfect set - i was watching with a very close eye - and i guess certainly pulled it out of the bag and was superb, especially given the notice he'd been given for the show.
Very impressive!

Oh well, my daydream of replacing a poorly bassist on a show i'm working on will have to wait for another tour.....

As far as i'm aware - so don't quote me on this, i think Danny plays / played in the U.S. version of we will rock you and was the best all rounder during the auditions for the last tour.
I don't know if Neil Murray wasn't involved in the process at that time.
I presume Danny was kept on as there's no need for change just for the sake of it.
Correct me if i'm wrong though - i'm no Queen expert, it's just hearsay i've picked up along the way.
:)

[quote name='bluesparky' post='308442' date='Oct 17 2008, 11:19 AM']During the load-in at Cardiff t'other day, we received the news that Queen's bassist - Danny Miranda - had unfortunately fallen ill.
Initially our first thoughts were that the gig would be pulled and we'd get another day off, but then i had one of those crazy daydreams that i'm sure we all have.
I mentioned to my peers that i knew the set, i was a decent bass player, i can read music very well and i'd obviously seen every show of the tour so far - surely a perfect replacement!
I was jesting as i knew it wouldn't really come to anything, and we all just assumed that the gig would be cancelled.
It then emerged over our "will-it-won't-it-happen" long lunch that Neil Murray had been drafted in with hours to go and would be taking over the bass duties for the next couple of shows.
We then finished the setup of the gig and i waited with morbid anticipation to see how he'd get on.
Neil had spent the bus journey with the MD and guitarist learning the set and nailed it!
He played a perfect set - i was watching with a very close eye - and i guess certainly pulled it out of the bag and was superb, especially given the notice he'd been given for the show.
Very impressive!

Oh well, my daydream of replacing a poorly bassist on a show i'm working on will have to wait for another tour.....[/quote]

How odd - I just mentioned Neil Murray on another post about TV themes....

He is one of my favourite rock bass players, always seems to play the right thing, very melodic player. Always in my top ten favourites.

Long before he hit the mainstream with Whitesnake, Gary Moore etc, Murray was the bass player with a UK jazz rock group called National Health. He has some quite credible fusion chops hiding behind the hair and his ability to nail that gig at short notice comes as no surprise.

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Health"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Health[/url]

Edited by bilbo230763

[quote name='bluesparky' post='308442' date='Oct 17 2008, 11:19 AM']During the load-in at Cardiff t'other day, we received the news that Queen's bassist - Danny Miranda - had unfortunately fallen ill.
Very impressive!

Oh well, my daydream of replacing a poorly bassist on a show i'm working on will have to wait for another tour.....[/quote]

Interestingly, I was in touch with Phil Symes before 'Queen' and Paul did their first tour offering my services. They had confirmed who they were using for the tour already.. but yeah, obviously a childhood dream to play my idol's basslines! As a teenager, I learned virtually all of the Queen back catalogue.. even live versions of the songs! I guess I didn't go out much back then lol!! *must go find a pic to post of my 'John Deacon-esque' P Bass.. a take of John's 67 P bass that got refinished in Black.*
[/geek]

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='308446' date='Oct 17 2008, 11:23 AM']I bet we all have that daydream.

I well remember seeing Fleetwood Mac t'other year and secretly hoping someone would announce 'McVie's fallen off the wagon and is too pissed to find the stage - is there a bass player in the house'.[/quote]
I've still not heard from Metallica about the demo tape I sent them when Cliff karked it. Rude bastards. I even had a bass like his.

National Health - cracking band I'd forgotten all about, cheers Bilbo.

[quote name='Gridlad' post='308560' date='Oct 17 2008, 01:08 PM']He was my first bass hero so there is no Queen without John Deacon in my eyes.[/quote]
I'm sure he's having a great time, playing golf relaxing and counting the royalties as they come tumbling in.

He's always been a great, in my eyes.
Who else can play in front of 100,000 people in those tiny denim shorts...
Great bassist. solid and reliable.

Not sure if this is the place for them, but whilst we're / i'm on the subject, would anyone be interested if i posted some tour photos here - as requested in another thread?

Yup saw the gig, the boy done good with less than 8 hours to learn the set.... The only bass thing that didn't seem to come off too well was the "solo-y" thing with Roger Taylor and the upright bass, but Neil didn't do this, he did it with Jamie (Moses)... I'm guessing this was something he had rehearsed with Danny.

I have to say though, that I'm more than a little dissapointed though that Brian didn't see my Dep advert on Lemonrock, seein as like I would be there anyway! My rates would have been very reasonable.....

[quote name='MoJoKe' post='308574' date='Oct 17 2008, 01:22 PM']The only bass thing that didn't seem to come off too well was the "solo-y" thing with Roger Taylor and the upright bass, but Neil didn't do this, he did it with Jamie (Moses)... I'm guessing this was something he had rehearsed with Danny.[/quote]

Without wanting to say anything controversial and shoot the golden goose, you're far from the only person with that opinion - i however have no opinion and think that everything is great and perfect. :)

That duet is usually done with Danny and Roger, with the teasing intro riff to under pressure being played this way, which isn't and looks like won't be, included in the set.

[quote name='bluesparky' post='308569' date='Oct 17 2008, 01:18 PM']I'm sure he's having a great time, playing golf relaxing and counting the royalties as they come tumbling in.

He's always been a great, in my eyes.
Who else can play in front of 100,000 people in those tiny denim shorts...
[b] Great bassist. solid and reliable.[/b]

Not sure if this is the place for them, but whilst we're / i'm on the subject, would anyone be interested if i posted some tour photos here - as requested in another thread?[/quote]

Agreed, I find a lot of his bass lines quite creative too.

Deacon John, a hero in my world.

[quote name='bluesparky' post='308569' date='Oct 17 2008, 01:18 PM']Not sure if this is the place for them, but whilst we're / i'm on the subject, would anyone be interested if i posted some tour photos here - as requested in another thread?[/quote]
Maybe a seperate thread might be the best place? But yes please, pics are a must!!

[quote name='bluesparky' post='308569' date='Oct 17 2008, 01:18 PM']Not sure if this is the place for them, but whilst we're / i'm on the subject, would anyone be interested if i posted some tour photos here - as requested in another thread?[/quote]

Yes please. If you do post them in another thread could you give us a heads up here.

Nice one, sounds like your having fun.

[quote name='MoJoKe' post='308580' date='Oct 17 2008, 01:29 PM']yeah, I figured as much. So you must have been the guy running backwards and forwards on stage before the start with the sunburst Precision (i think)?[/quote]
Not me! that was Bob o'brien, i was sitting 35' on the truss above the stage operating a followspot.
It was a precision, not sure of the exact models that danny and Neil use, but i can find out if anyone wants to know.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='308656' date='Oct 17 2008, 03:02 PM']Yes please. If you do post them in another thread could you give us a heads up here.

Nice one, sounds like your having fun.[/quote]
It's a tough job, but someone's got to do it.
I'll upload them as soon as I get an internet connection that is slightly faster than snails pace..

John Deacon is the reason I play bass.

Learned 'another one bites the dust' on acoustic and was proudly playing it when I was 12 years old.

I have to begin by saying that there is no Queen without Dame Freddie Mercury and think even less since there is no JD.

My first exposure to Queen was the 1986 Live Magic tour when they were at their most magnificantist. Totally sh*t hot to a 12 year old bassisst who's learning everyting under the sun