Why become a member? ×

I need some help please....!

MoJoKe

In the mid 80's I was playing professionally with Les Gray's MUD. This was brilliant, not embarrassing!!

In 1986/7 I recorded and appeared on an episode of 3-2-1, playing (well miming and chewing actually!!), yes you guessed it "Tiger Feet". This [b][i]was[/i][/b] embarrassing!

I used to have this on a VHS cassette which my Aunty Marjorie kindly recorded for me, and this had pride of place at the very back of our Video/DVD storage system... kept for posterity and for the kids to see and be greatly amused by their daddy's antics, but not too prominent so that mates could spot it and laugh hysterically!!

In 2005 when my life was turned upside down and my marriage came to an end I was "given" huge great piles of cr*p from our 19 years together, but some of my more important stuff strangely disappeared, including my 3-2-1 VHS.

I spoke to ITV who own the rights for these shows, and they wanted an 'effin [b][i]reeediculous[/i] [/b] sum of money (we're talking hundreds here!!), even though I was a "contributor", to put it on DVD for me. The series has since been re-shown on Challenge TV.

If anyone has a copy of this programme (Little Foxes and 5-Star were on the same episode), or can help me get hold of it I promise I will post a clip on youtube with a link here so that you can all share the delight of my totally embarrassing chewing, and an oggle at my wonderful olive ash Mach1 Wal, which I stupidly sold in a moment of complete madness....

Perhaps this could also be the start of a new topic "Really embarrassing footage" or somesuch!!!!

Edited by MoJoKe

EDIT, nope nothing is coming up for combinations of MUD, Les Gray and Tiger Feet plus either ITV, 3-2-1 or 321. However I was thinking that because there are some fans of MUD on you tube, it might actually be worth dropping a few of them a line with the same request. I'd imagine some of them are bound to be willing to help a former member.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='308626' date='Oct 17 2008, 02:37 PM']I had a quick skim on Youtube and didn't find anything from 3-2-1 but did uncover his from Blue Peter in 1996...[/quote]

That isn't me sadly! Gosh he looked ill there, poor sod. In addition to his addiction to booze and fags (his famous breakfast time quote was " I couldn't possibly eat anything on an empty stomach, dear boy!!") he struggled with terrible psoriasis, but boy could he work the crowd when he was on form!

Thanks for all the help so far guys, I knew I could count on you! I'll definitely try some of the fan base...

Wasn't it Yorkshire TV who made 3-2-1? I'm not sure of the copy-right issues, but it might be worth contacting them & Challenge TV?
Also I think a version of 5 Star is still doing the rounds. Could be worth contacting them?

Edited by MacDaddy

[quote name='MoJoKe' post='308058' date='Oct 16 2008, 06:28 PM']In the mid 80's I was playing professionally with Les Gray's MUD.

In 1986/7 I recorded and appeared on an episode of 3-2-1, playing (well miming and chewing actually!!), yes you guessed it "Tiger Feet".

I used to have this on a VHS cassette which my Aunty Marjorie kindly recorded for me, and this had pride of place at the very back of our Video/DVD storage system... kept for posterity and for the kids to see and be greatly amused by their daddy's antics, but not too prominent so that mates could spot it and laugh hysterically!!

In 2005 when my life was turned upside down and my marriage came to an end I was "given" huge great piles of cr*p from our 19 years together, but some of my more important stuff strangely disappeared, including my 3-2-1 VHS.

I spoke to ITV who own the rights for these shows, and they wanted an 'effin [b][i]reeediculous[/i] [/b] sum of money (we're talking hundreds here!!), even though I was a "contributor", to put it on DVD for me. The series has since been re-shown on Challenge TV.

If anyone has a copy of this programme (Little Foxes and 5-Star were on the same episode), or can help me get hold of it I promise I will post a clip on youtube with a link here so that you can all share the delight of my totally embarrassing chewing, and an oggle at my wonderful olive ash Mach1 Wal, which I stupidly sold in a moment of complete madness....

Perhaps this could also be the start of a new topic "Really embarrassing footage" or somesuch!!!![/quote]

That's not embarrassing!! I saw Mud play Newcastle University back in '84 probably. It was a great night :)

[quote name='tonybassplayer' post='308866' date='Oct 17 2008, 07:27 PM']I saw Mud live in about 73/74 at Leeds City Hall......great gig !![/quote]

I did '85 to '87. The original band split in 1981 and Les worked with a Bristol based lineup until '87 then worked with a London based band from then. I don't know who followed me, but I filled the shoes of Dale Fry, who I think now is at UWE music dept in Bristol. He used to have a black precision with mirror scratch-plate like Phil Lynott.

As said earlier he was an incredible showman. We used to do a huge number of university and club gigs, and he could always be counted on to get a reaction, whatever the age of the audience!

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='308895' date='Oct 17 2008, 08:15 PM']That's not embarrassing!! I saw Mud play Newcastle University back in '84 probably. It was a great night :)[/quote]

I don't [b]ever[/b] think the [b][i]work[/i][/b] was embarrassing!! It was 'effin brilliant!!

I am one among a number of guys here who can actually say they've paid their mortgage solely from being a bass player. I never reached the dizzy heights of being successful in any of the (several) other "original" bands that "oh so nearly" signed with major labels, and I almost made it with, but it [i]was[/i] my job for quite a while (did some session work for a while too). I really hope as many of you as possible get the chance to say that. (now I am sounding old!!! I am only 48 honest!! Hopefully you will soon see the fruits of my latest band, "Soulfire", in the Exeter area, a 10 piece soul/jive/rock/boogie outfit. We sound great, but getting that many people to rehearsals is like herding cats!!!)

The embarrassing bit is the 3-2-1 vid!!! See it and you'll get why!!!

Help me find it and you can ALL have a laugh at my expense! Just as a teaser... for the show recording we had 2 drummers, both miming with Roto-toms and wearing flippers!!!

The sound was recorded in a studio in London, can't remember which. I think we had played at "Golden Sands" in Mablethorpe the night before, and we did the session, full band, in no more than three takes, before getting back on the road for a gig on the south coast that evening. We would almost certainly have then headed up to Newcastle or Glasgow for next night, as our manager didn't own a map or have a clue about geography!

It was a Yorkshire TV production, the show being done late afternoon (in Leeds or Bradford perhaps, I think!). YTV either sold the shows subsequently, or something, I don't know, but ITV now own the rights....

[quote name='dub_junkie' post='308963' date='Oct 17 2008, 10:40 PM']did you buy a MIJ fender jazz & Trace Elliot 4x10 combo from me back in 1991? I lived in Hounslow,Middlesex at the time.I'm sure the guy who bought it from me says he was either in Mud or used to be.

just curious[/quote]

No, wasn't me!! I mostly played my Squeir '57 JV (with Fender on headstock) precision or olive ash Wal Mach1 and I had a salmon Pink '62 reissue squeir precision as a spare. I mostly used a TE 1115 combo, which weighed a ton but sounded great.

Not my heaviest or best sounding rig though. That title goes to the Kustom Sound head (the black quilted one!) and a Fender 2 x 15 cab which literally shook itself to bits one night!! Heavy, but my best sound ever!