Why become a member? ×

Double bass / cello - possibly a really stupid question.

darkandrew

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1482879428' post='3203346']
I used to be like this about bananas and plantains. Then one day someone bashed me over the head with a pineapple and I haven't looked back since!
[/quote]
As long as no one bashes me over the head with a double bass!

Funnily enough I had my first go on a cello on boxing day.

After getting my head round the tuning difference it was actually fairly easy to get a tune out of, finger style only of course, I reckon bowing is probably a whole art in itself.

It's made me seriously consider trying a proper double bass, or at least a EUB, at some point in the near future.

Edited by Cato

I've heard the double bass referred to as a bull fiddle. That, in today's age of political correctness and sexual equality would make the cello his bitch perhaps?

More seriously... I believe that violin, viola, cello and double bass are ALL members of the fiddle family. Maybe they're called fiddles because they are often played with a bow? That isn't my question. This is; Is it fair to say that double bass = bass fiddle and cello = baritone fiddle? If true, what then are viola and violin? I think one of them would be soprano but I am mainly thick and can't rid myself of the Mafia associations that thinking that way triggers.

Guest Jecklin

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1482910848' post='3203405']

More seriously... I believe that violin, viola, cello and double bass are ALL members of the fiddle family. Maybe they're called fiddles because they are often played with a bow? That isn't my question. This is; Is it fair to say that double bass = bass fiddle and cello = baritone fiddle? If true, what then are viola and violin?
[/quote]

I'm not sure where the term fiddle originates, I suspect it's a more modern term (late18th century plus) but the double bass comes from a slightly different lineage to the violin family of instruments of which the cello is the bass.

The double bass evolved from the viola da gamba family of Instruments.

It lost the extra strings and frets to fit in with the violin family,but It retained the flat back in its design (carved backs were introduced by some makers along with violin corners)

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1482903486' post='3203393']
Funnily enough I had my first go on a cello on boxing day.

After getting my head round the tuning difference it was actually fairly easy to get a tune out of, finger style only of course, I reckon bowing is probably a whole art in itself.

It's made me seriously consider trying a proper double bass, or at least a EUB, at some point in the near future.
[/quote]

I went to the October Double Bass Bash. I was curious too. I can recommend a visit to the next one. I have no intention about investing in more kit but I love all things bass, including synth. I came away having had a go on a fetchingly dressed leopard skin five string DB with simple guidance as to stance and how to rest the instrument on my "power belly" whilst playing. Many thanks Owen for letting me grope your main squeeze. Heeheehee.

You are right about it being an art in itself. Bowing is very much a technique to be mastered and we were treated to an informal yet informed discussion about bowing, French and otherwise. A couple of members who's dress code reminded me of Hollywood pictures of the fifties were bowless. These were slappers of the highest order (winks @ chaps concerned). They demonstrated syncopated rhythms with a thick background curtain of low notes through an impressively compact rig. One was heard to say something along the lines of "I believe the only place for a bow is on a yorkshire terrier!"

It was fun.

Edited by SpondonBassed

[quote name='Jecklin' timestamp='1482911470' post='3203406']
I'm not sure where the term fiddle originates, I suspect it's a more modern term (late18th century plus) but the double bass comes from a slightly different lineage to the violin family of instruments of which the cello is the bass.

The double bass evolved from the viola da gamba family of Instruments.

It lost the extra strings and frets to fit in with the violin family,but It retained the flat back in its design (carved backs were introduced by some makers along with violin corners)
[/quote]

Nicely explained thank you.

Guest Jecklin

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1482912492' post='3203410']

Nicely explained thank you.
[/quote]

Very kind :)
It was the result of delirium from sleep deprivation :D

I've heard the double bass referred to as a bull fiddle. That, in today's age of political correctness and sexual equality would make the cello his bitch perhaps?

More seriously... I believe that violin, viola, cello and double bass are ALL members of the fiddle family. Maybe they're called fiddles because they are often played with a bow? That isn't my question. This is; Is it fair to say that double bass = bass fiddle and cello = baritone fiddle? If true, what then are viola and violin? I think one of them would be soprano but I am mainly thick and can't rid myself of the Mafia associations that thinking that way triggers.
[/quote]

The violin would be the soprano fiddle and the viola an alto fiddle if you're thinking along those lines

Some fiddle players (usually Blue Grass and Country), modify their bridge so it is a bit flatter. (my next door 'Fiddle' Neighbour has spent many hours explaining this to me) :rolleyes:
That way it is easier to play drones and triple stops.

More geeky Violin vs Fiddle talk here,
http://stringsmagazine.com/learn-the-difference-between-violin-and-fiddle/
:gas:

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1482911794' post='3203408']

I went to the October Double Bass Bash. I was curious too. I can recommend a visit to the next one. I have no intention about investing in more kit but I love all things bass, including synth. I came away having had a go on a fetchingly dressed leopard skin five string DB with simple guidance as to stance and how to rest the instrument on my "power belly" whilst playing. Many thanks Owen for letting me grope your main squeeze. Heeheehee.

You are right about it being an art in itself. Bowing is very much a technique to be mastered and we were treated to an informal yet informed discussion about bowing, French and otherwise. A couple of members who's dress code reminded me of Hollywood pictures of the fifties were bowless. These were slappers of the highest order (winks @ chaps concerned). They demonstrated syncopated rhythms with a thick background curtain of low notes through an impressively compact rig. One was heard to say something along the lines of "I believe the only place for a bow is on a yorkshire terrier!"

It was fun.
[/quote]

Haha, it was a great day out, I still haven't spent enough time practising with my bow, maybe next year......

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1482920496' post='3203479']
Beautiful sounding Instrument.
What's better than a Viola Da Gamba ? Two of them... :)
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLeXWQTGn2M[/media]
[/quote]

That's lovely. Thank you.

Ooh! Ooh! That'd be worth considering as a mod to maybe get the best of fretted and fretless in one electric bass. Where's Andy of AJR Guitars?

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1482919273' post='3203465']
The violin would be the soprano fiddle and the viola an alto fiddle if you're thinking along those lines
[/quote]

That helps, thanks.

Seems the Double bass was adopted by what I call the Fiddle family and became indistinguishable to the greater masses from the rest of the family as it evolved. Like the genealogy topic, Lots of families have little "secrets" in their make up.

Edited by SpondonBassed

[/quote]

I'm pretty sure that by-laws have been passed denoting bull fiddling as a severely tuttable offence.

[quote name='Jecklin' timestamp='1482911470' post='3203406']

[/quote]

That got me intrigued... a bit of research suggests fiddle comes from some old English and Germanic... possibly/probably travelling from the same etymological root as the more classical music viol... and it looks like to fiddle (about) came from the actions of playing fiddle rather than vice versa...

[quote]

fiddle (n.)

"stringed musical instrument, violin," late 14c., fedele, fydyll, fidel, earlier fithele, from Old English fiðele "fiddle," which is related to Old Norse fiðla, Middle Dutch vedele, Dutch vedel, Old High German fidula, German Fiedel "a fiddle;" all of uncertain origin.

The usual suggestion, based on resemblance in sound and sense, is that it is from Medieval Latin vitula "stringed instrument" (source of Old French viole, Italian viola), which perhaps is related to Latin vitularia "celebrate joyfully," from Vitula, Roman goddess of joy and victory, who probably, like her name, originated among the Sabines [Klein, Barnhart]. Unless the Medieval Latin word is from the Germanic ones.

FIDDLE, n. An instrument to tickle human ears by friction of a horse's tail on the entrails of a cat. [Ambrose Bierce, "The Cynic's Word Book," 1906]

Fiddle has been relegated to colloquial usage by its more proper cousin, violin, a process encouraged by phraseology such as fiddlesticks (1620s), contemptuous nonsense word fiddle-de-dee (1784), and fiddle-faddle. Century Dictionary reports that fiddle "in popular use carries with it a suggestion of contempt and ridicule." Fit as a fiddle is from 1610s.

fiddle (v.)
late 14c., "play upon a fiddle," from fiddle (n.); the figurative sense of "to act nervously, make idle movements, move the hands or something held in them in an idle, ineffective way" is from 1520s. Related: Fiddled; fiddling.

[/quote]

Edited by TrevorR

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1482997505' post='3203931']

I don't recall ever seeing that with a double bass
[/quote]

You've never been to see Type O Negative then. Singer Pete Steele would play one whilst standing in guitar fashion, he was a towering bloke though.

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1482998451' post='3203940']
You've never been to see Type O Negative then. Singer Pete Steele would play one whilst standing in guitar fashion, he was a towering bloke though.
[/quote]

Sadly, he is no longer with us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvDSRNcP1Ug