Why become a member? ×

Sei Series II single cut - now MIDI enabled...!

urb

She's all done - page four for pics of the bass - and I just sorted out these pics today - it really is amazing - and she should be at the BASH in a couple of weeks - there's also a short first 'road test' video for your enjoyment - so silly noodly slap and finger style sounds to show off some of the tones:

[attachment=6622:front_long.jpg]

[attachment=6623:front_close.jpg]

[attachment=6624:pups_close.jpg]

[attachment=6625:back_close.jpg]

[attachment=6626:headstock.jpg]

[attachment=6627:top_down.jpg]

Here are the specs again:

33" Scale
Ebony Board
26 Frets
Maple neck with wenge stringers
Ash body
Buckeye Burl top wood - front and back
Demeter circuit
Nordstrand pups
Ramp
Piezo Bridge (Ghost system)
Red LEDs on side of neck
Black Hardware
Active/passive capability
Gloss finish...

Mike

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='31728' date='Jul 14 2007, 12:56 PM']wow 33" scale and 26 frets, hope u don't have fat fingers![/quote]

Well I'm not exactly Mr Sausage fingers - my hands are quite small actually - but the 33" scale will make playing a lot of the low-end stuff that I do on gigs a lot more comfortable, I have 26 frets on my 1990 Thumb bass so I'm used to those dimensions - the slightly shorter scale just makes life even easier - I played a Matt Garrison Impirial Fodera and the 33" scale is actually really cool - it just makes the bass feel more compact and the neck scary fast!

Cheers

Mike

That going to be nice isn't it, I bet you can't wait until collection day.

It's a bit similar to mine.

I was in last week, and it now has the fingerboard attached, and has had the frets put in.

Martin reckons there's another couple of months until it's going to be ready.

I need to decide on the electronics, I'm seriously considering going passive, after seeing Anthony Jackson yesterday afternoon.

Cool KP

I saw AJ at Ronnie's and it was incredible - the best I have heard Mike Stern and Dave Weckl was off the scale - the band killed it and I personally think AJ was a total inspiration for the whole band - he played brilliantly as well, his solos were so musical and surprisingly technical, he was flying about all over the place - and it's well known that AJ isn't the biggest fan of taking bass solos for the sake of it - a brilliant gig all round - they even did an encore - unusual for Ronnie's.

I know what you mean about the Passive thing though - I'm going to have mine so that I can run it both passive and active - just so when the batteries die it's still playable - and for the passive tone as well. Your bass looks great too man.

M

I played a 6 string Sei when buying a cab of an old BWer a while back.
Up until that point I'd only seen photos and, well, 'if that floats your boat' ... I used to think.
My God what a superb instrument, I envy you guys getting your bass built and one day, when my ship comes in I shall be there too. Awesome, truly awesome instruments.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='32054' date='Jul 15 2007, 12:50 PM']Have you thought about Villex pups? Or what about Q Tuner? Cheers Steve[/quote]
The reason I'm asking about these pups is because I'm thinking of putting the Villex into a MIJ Jazz Bass. Has anybody got any opinions about these going into the Sei bass?

[quote name='steve-soar' post='34833' date='Jul 20 2007, 06:11 PM']The reason I'm asking about these pups is because I'm thinking of putting the Villex into a MIJ Jazz Bass. Has anybody got any opinions about these going into the Sei bass?[/quote]

Hi Steve,

Villex pickups were used in Sei basses couple of times, so Martin is probably the best person to ask. As to Villex in Jazz Bass, there are a couple of reviews on talkbass

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1124"]http://www.talkbass.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1124[/url]

I have some jazz pickups sound samples which I need to put on the website, I will pm you once they are there.

Hi mate...looks like it'll be a beast!!!

I definately know what you mean about the scale length...the whole economy of movement thing that the likes of Janek employ certainly makes sense!!! Are you going for a low B or high C on this beast then?

I think i'd rather have a shorter scale in the future, my F Bass is 34.5 and my fretless Marleaux is 35" which is a killer for intonation, i really struggle sometimes...having said that, i'm used to it now, so any smaller and i'd be so out of tune! Still, my Smith is 34" and the string spacing is 16.5 (something like that) as opposed to the 19" of the others, and the smaller spacing also makes a huge difference, you have rip around the Smith so easily, especially with the low set-up. I'm glad i got the fretless set up nicely by Martin, the Gallery guys really are good at what they do!!!

Anyway, i'm pleased the bass is progressing...if i had the patience to wait a year for a build mate, i'd be right in there with you...maybe a Marleaux M Bass though, but i can't do it, it's not possible!!!

Thanks
Jam

(by the way, Adam told me they're getting in some F basses, including a BNF6...so fretless 6 string, that will be a must try/buy [i wish]...wahooooo)

Hi peeps

Yeah Jamie - the scale will be shorter but I'm still keeping the string spacing farily wide - i.e. 18mm - so hopefully it won't feel like a smaller board just a slightly shorter neck - it will be quite subtle - and I'm planning it being B - G as I love the low notes and play them a lot (I will try is E - C to experiment) - plus when I listen to Willis or Hadrien Feraud - those guys pull off some incredible stuff on that tuning.

I love the low B for grooving on as well - I do love soloing but it's not what I do in bands much - and even when I solo in my jazz band the high notes on a 26-fret neck still sound plenty high enough!

I've just recently started playing through lots of changes in just one position - as a practice thing - and that's challenging but also starts to throw up new ideas in getting round all the changes - say in Giant Steps - in the space of just 5 frets - you don't need any specific tuning for this - just fretboard knowledge - that's the real deal!

I should have some picks of the bass with the fingerboard on soon - I'll keep you posted on how it's developing - It's going to be a beauty...

M

That's cool man. I just thought i'd ask as you had all the other ingredients for E - C. I've still got my Smith set-up like that, spent a few hours on it yesterday, i do love the high C, but i miss the low B from time to time. I think i should seriously think about heading back to a 6 string, it makes sense, but it's the whole huge neck issue then!

Anyway, looking forward to seeing more pics as this develops, it certainly looks like the makings of a beast already!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey - a quick update - my bass now has a lovely ebony board, with LEDs down the side - with 26-frets - plus the back has now been sculpted a little - the neck has also started to be shaped - it's still rough in places but there's definite progress...

A few all important pics:

[attachment=1697:bass_front_fretted.jpg]

[attachment=1698:back_nec...inglecut.jpg]

[attachment=1699:back_ear...tage_600.jpg]

[quote name='peted' post='44127' date='Aug 11 2007, 10:05 AM']I could look at those lines and curves all day and never get bored. Amazing detail in both the design and wood choices.[/quote]

-Exactly Pete - that's why I ordered a Sei - these basses are elegance personified!

Thanks for the comments

M