Why become a member? ×

1964 P bass on Gumtree London

Bigwan

I like this ones Mojo, whether it's real or not - I find new Fenders to be a real turn-off looks wise. They're just designed to look battered!

Keep us informed Kev!

Edited by Bigwan

[quote name='Bigwan' post='307200' date='Oct 15 2008, 04:24 PM']I find new Fenders to be a real turn-off looks wise. They're just designed to look battered![/quote]

I tend to agree. I realise i may be in the minority, but i just don't like 'shiney' guitars. Give me matt finishes or dulled lacquer any day.

[quote name='Sean.Robinson' post='307949' date='Oct 16 2008, 03:44 PM']what are the tell tale signs its a scam? also what are we looking for to prove its legitimate?[/quote]

Well, for one, the price is very cheap for a '64 P bass, no?. It falls into the "too good to be true" category and we know what that means. Secondly, you'd want to see the bass taken apart and shown neck and pot dates etc as well as a serial.
Oh and it's on the London Gumtree site. The bass is in Scotland. Tricky to meet up hey.

Edited by Tee

[quote name='ezbass' post='308337' date='Oct 17 2008, 07:59 AM']Highly suspicious, but at that price does it matter? Looks like a cool bass and a new reliced one would cost more than that from Nash, etc.[/quote]

Be honest if it is genuine it is worth 'WAY' more than that. :)

Problem is likely to be that the bass doesn't turn up after you buy it! As has been stated it's advertised on the London Gumtree (accepted that it is on the www.) and located in Scotland. Chances are that if the seller is a bit hooky then he'd take your money and offer to post it.

Saying all of that, there is no word from the seller and they have as likely as not had a 100 emails from genuinely interested parties and/or BCers and if it is genuine they are suddenly realising what it is worth; if they are a scammer they know they've over-played their hand. :huh:

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='308345' date='Oct 17 2008, 08:24 AM']Be honest if it is genuine it is worth 'WAY' more than that. :)

Problem is likely to be that the bass doesn't turn up after you buy it! As has been stated it's advertised on the London Gumtree (accepted that it is on the www.) and located in Scotland. Chances are that if the seller is a bit hooky then he'd take your money and offer to post it.[/quote]

Yeah for sure it should be worth way more, either that or I got taken to cleaners with my '63 (I don't think so).

Given that it's somewhat sus, it would be worth picking it up in person, cash on collection, but as the guy seems somewhat backwards in answering emails this is obviously a non starter. Scammers do seem to be quite dumb sometimes.

Hopefully no one will be daft enough to just send money to something so (as our US chums say) hinkey.

Just had a reply

'hello,
I'm in Menstrie,Clackmannanshire about 40 miles from Edinburgh.You can come and collect it anytime.Alternatively I can post it to your address,send me your zip for a postage quote.

Regards,

Anna'

I dont know whether this makes it anymore genuine or not, but it worries me how none of my questions where answered, that said, we now have a Scottish town and a offer to collect whenever i want, shame Scotland is a bit of a jog from Huddersfield without a car.

[quote name='Sean.Robinson' post='308865' date='Oct 17 2008, 07:26 PM']Just had a reply

'hello,
I'm in Menstrie,Clackmannanshire about 40 miles from Edinburgh.You can come and collect it anytime.Alternatively I can post it to your address,send me your zip for a postage quote.

Regards,

Anna'

I dont know whether this makes it anymore genuine or not, but it worries me how none of my questions where answered, that said, we now have a Scottish town and a offer to collect whenever i want, shame Scotland is a bit of a jog from Huddersfield without a car.[/quote]

Funny how you had a response and you're in Huddersfield yet I'm only an hour and a half to two hours from him and I've had no response... I did however point out to him my fairly close proximity when I emailed!

[quote name='Sean.Robinson' post='308865' date='Oct 17 2008, 07:26 PM']Just had a reply

'hello,

Regards,

Anna'

I dont know whether this makes it anymore genuine or not, but it worries me how none of my questions where answered, that said, we now have a Scottish town and a offer to collect whenever i want, shame Scotland is a bit of a jog from Huddersfield without a car.[/quote]
bitch didnt reply to me, and i said i lived next door!

'hello,

Regards,

Anna'

To add weight that it's a likely scam I got this reply on the 15th Oct...

[color="#0000FF"]hello,
I'm in Menstrie,Clackmannanshire about 40 miles from Edinburgh.Sure,you can
come and collect the guitar.Alternatively I can post it to your address.

Regards,

Aurelia
[/color]

Changed name over the last few days as well eh, slightly odd :)