Why become a member? ×

Red Hot Chili Peppers in Manchester

Damonjames

Hey guys, a day late as I saw them on Wednesday, but just wanted to say how amazing they were live.
I've been a fan since the early '90s and flea is one of the guys who made me want to play bass, so there was a lot riding on this gig for me, and they delivered!!!
The thing I liked the most was all the little bridges between songs, I know they were probably rehearsed, but they did these little jam songs in between the songs so you never really new what was coming next. Flea didn't stop playing all night!!!
Was ver surprised to see a golden oldie "nobody weird like me" played and thought the selection of songs was great, having said that, it wasn't the longest gig I've ever been to (the only slightly negative).
For the gear nerds, flea spent the whole night (except the last song) on his "fenderRay" and it sounded much better than I thought it would. Not quite a stingray, but VERY close. I didn't really notice tone wise when he switched to a purple bass with an LA Lakers sticker on it which I assume was a modulus. Oddly, the shell pink jazz didn't make an appearance all night!
Flea was just outstanding, and a pleasure to watch, although I have no idea how he bounces around like that while playing.

Chad Smith is a drum GOD, I knew he could play, and have always loved his style, but Jesus he hits hard and plays with a huge amount of energy!!!

Josh looks like he has settled into his role and played great (never seen Frusciante live, so no benchmark).

Kiedis was great if not a little quiet.

Well played boys! If you get the chance go and see them!!

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1481878335' post='3195842']
Hey guys, a day late as I saw them on Wednesday, but just wanted to say how amazing they were live.
I've been a fan since the early '90s and flea is one of the guys who made me want to play bass, so there was a lot riding on this gig for me, and they delivered!!!
The thing I liked the most was all the little bridges between songs, I know they were probably rehearsed, but they did these little jam songs in between the songs so you never really new what was coming next. Flea didn't stop playing all night!!!
Was ver surprised to see a golden oldie "nobody weird like me" played and thought the selection of songs was great, having said that, it wasn't the longest gig I've ever been to (the only slightly negative).
For the gear nerds, flea spent the whole night (except the last song) on his "fenderRay" and it sounded much better than I thought it would. Not quite a stingray, but VERY close. I didn't really notice tone wise when he switched to a purple bass with an LA Lakers sticker on it which I assume was a modulus. Oddly, the shell pink jazz didn't make an appearance all night!
Flea was just outstanding, and a pleasure to watch, although I have no idea how he bounces around like that while playing.

Chad Smith is a drum GOD, I knew he could play, and have always loved his style, but Jesus he hits hard and plays with a huge amount of energy!!!

Josh looks like he has settled into his role and played great (never seen Frusciante live, so no benchmark).

Kiedis was great if not a little quiet.

Well played boys! If you get the chance go and see them!!
[/quote]

I saw them at Isle of Wight Festival 2014, they were great then as well I thought!

Flea was on top form then and Chad, as you say great energy, but he is consistent with it as well, never a dull 'beat' with him!

Superb!!!

Edited by ROConnell

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1481880784' post='3195861']
Agree, The greatest shame is that his energy live doesn't transfer on his records. His playing is always impeccable, but seeing it live is a sight to behold!!

Could you imagine playing with him
[/quote]

I was lucky enough to get to one of his drum clinics in a small hall in Keighley maybe ten years ago. It was pretty poorly attended so it was no problem to get right up to the edge of the low stage with no barriers. I have to say, it is a pretty impressive experience getting up close while he is laying into the kit! Whether he was playing solo improvs or playing along to RHCP tracks in the PA. He is also a pretty good raconteur /comedian, all in all he came across as a pretty good guy.

Yeah I went last night and took my boy (10) who was desperate to see them. He sat open mouthed sand couldn't believe he was actually watching them live! That's what gigs are about! Overall I thought they were excellent and with the set lasting over 1.5hrs they never stopped playing, the little bridge pieces were great and they looked like they were all enjoying being there. Josh has finally settled in and looks the part now, albeit no John F but makes it his own!

Flea man, what a dude! Never stopped moving, bopping, jumping and walking on his hands. Top fella and cracking night! Will live long in the memory of my boy too!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1481919216' post='3196354']

They are on form right now, be sure to get there in time for Baby Metal, maybe brush up your dance moves and pigtails too!
[/quote]

Don't quite understand if Baby Metal were mental or brilliant! Or both! The band were tight as a tight thing though!

My wife follows their Instagram page,this was our set.

[URL=http://s997.photobucket.com/user/stingraypete/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-12/IMG-20161216-WA0008_zpsp9a4cyao.jpg.html][IMG]http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af100/stingraypete/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-12/IMG-20161216-WA0008_zpsp9a4cyao.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Edited by stingrayPete1977

Wednesday's

[URL=http://s997.photobucket.com/user/stingraypete/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-12/IMG-20161216-WA0007_zpsaaytxsjp.jpg.html][IMG]http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af100/stingraypete/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-12/IMG-20161216-WA0007_zpsaaytxsjp.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='walshy' timestamp='1481911764' post='3196261']
Yeah I went last night and took my boy (10) who was desperate to see them. He sat open mouthed sand couldn't believe he was actually watching them live! That's what gigs are about!
[/quote]

You're a good dad ! that is how you get kids into music big time.

My first concert was Wings Venus and Mars tour in 75. I'm sure I sat there all night thinking "I'm watching a BEATLE !" lol

The first gig I ever took my son to was RHCP at Earls Court. It was the worst gig I've ever been to, including pup gigs.

RHCP might have been amazing, but the sound was like an old tinny transistor radio. My son never bothered about them after that show.

I quite envy those here who've had a good show from them.

I've seen them twice now, 2011 and in Glasgow last Thursday, both amazing gigs but I can see how much Josh has really improved! A mate of mine managed to get back stage passes three times so far and hang with the band (mainly Josh) which is pretty amazing albeit I am very jealous!
My only complaint is set length, for example The Cure played a three hour set when I saw them and the ticket price was nearly 1/3 of what I paid to see RHCP.

Saw them in Birmingham last Sunday. Really enjoyed it and thought that the energy was great. Felt like a fairly short gig and as someone who still feels they were at their best up to (and including) Blood Sugar Sex Magic I'd have liked to hear more early stuff but was definitely really happy to have seen them at the end of the night.
On a side note, as it was the first big gig I've been to in years, I thought the venue was excellent (really quick bar queues, super clean loos) and the sound was great.
BabyMetal were equal parts scary, tight, cute and bizarre. Actually quite enjoyed them.