Why become a member? ×

DIY Pleasureboard

Owen

Inspired by the sale of a Pleasureboard here a couple of days ago I got all excited about owning one. I did some forum searches and it appears that they can generate that "heft" that I crave (I do not want to get into discussions about heft here) but can no longer experience to the full due to hearing damage. Wear earplugs kids - thank me in 20 years when you can still play bass.

I looked at the prices and thought "that is do-able, I am having one". Then I realised that I need an amp to drive it. That was going to be another £300 minimum - or more if I wanted a specific Pleasureboard amp (I know that they are now called bassboards). This was becoming more expensive. I then trawled back through my BC memory and remembered someone referencing DIY ones. I eventually tracked this down to Bigwan (Ian) who dug up some links to a German Bass board with threads about it.

https://www.bassic.ch/threads/bass-shaker-platte-selbst-gemacht.14849010/
https://www.bassic.ch/threads/review-tecamp-pleasure-board.14840638/
https://www.bassic.ch/threads/bass-shaker-board-es-ist-vollbracht.14793371/#post-14793371

If your German is not up to it, view these in Chrome and Chrome will offer to translate it for you.

Even then they still need an amp to drive them and I do not have a spare amp as my cabs are powered. "Why are they not active?" I thought. I then realised that I can put a plate amp either from a donor active sub (I will try with a Studiospares active sub to see) with a knackered speaker, or just buy a dedicated plate amp http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371778206784?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT .

I only have one build which is unfinished on here at the moment so feel I could have another running project.

Can anyone think of problems or improvements?

Ta, like.

[quote name='DarkHeart' timestamp='1481244845' post='3191003']
What happens if you actually want to move around on stage, or are they not for stage use?
[/quote]

I have never ever been hired for my dynamic stage presence so that is not an issue for me :)

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1481273912' post='3191081']
Interesting concept, Owen. I have no thoughts or ideas to contribute, I'm afraid, but very interested to see how this progresses. :)
[/quote]

I tend to find that my thought process percolates over a period rather than all kicking in at once. If I do things on the spur of the moment then I usually have a period afterwards of thinking "Ah, I should have done it a different way" so I am looking to the BC Massive to tell me if I have missed anything. I don't think I have, but experience tells me I probably have!

Good luck Owen, sounds like a worthwhile project. I have done something similar which I took to the SE Bash in September.

My regular but occasional gig means that I can sit down so my idea was an active drum throne with the option of in-ear monitors.

Firstly I picked up a used drum throne and then a butt-kicker from Thomann.

I wanted to keep the electronics as compact as possible so looked for half-rack width units.

I bought a 4U half width rack which is fitted with the following:

4-channel stereo mixer with channel direct outs - this takes the bass DI plus PA monitor or maybe just a mic on the kick drum
In-ear transmitter which can also be used as a headphone driver for wired in-ears
Sub-woofer filter to stop anything above about 200Hz going to the butt kicker
Extron XPA1002 2-channel power amp - one channel for the butt kicker, one channel spare.

I'm sure that Bluejay took a photo at the Bash but I'll take some pix later and add them if anyone is interested

The signal path was a tad more complicated

Edited by obbm

• 1 month later...

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1485118691' post='3221345']
I am a total lightweight. This popped up on the IEM thread and it looks like less hassle than carrying a board around so I am going to try it. [url="http://www.woojer.com/strap/#StrapSpec"]http://www.woojer.com/strap/#StrapSpec[/url]
[/quote]

Looks great. Will it get in the way with your bass top horn though?

I'm still loving my Pleasure Board. I use it as a sub when playing music through my office hifi. Really gives you that extra dimension.

Let us know how you get on with the Woojer; did you buy the vest or the strap?

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1485258470' post='3222489']
Not sure about the strap. 3.5mm jack connectors, so not a really serious piece of gigging kit unless they are the locking kind like those fitted to some wireless units.
[/quote]

The older I get, the less I move around so that would not be a huge issue for me :)

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1485258470' post='3222489']
Not sure about the strap. 3.5mm jack connectors, so not a really serious piece of gigging kit unless they are the locking kind like those fitted to some wireless units.
[/quote]

Every wireless IEM pack is 3.5mm and to my knowledge Sennheiser are the only to have threaded jack sockets, but Shure, including their PSM1000, Lectrosonics (e.g. all the market leaders) do not. I would wager the only reason that they do, is because they use the same component on their belt pack transmitters as they do with their belt pack receivers... it makes no sense to carry an extra item as stock and push up the prices for the sake of having a thread or not. That aside, UE, JHA, ACS, Shure, 1964 and all of the big IEM players (including Sennheiser incidentally), do not supply any of their custom moulded IEMs, or even universal IEMs, with cables that locking sockets.

I can assure you, when you have custom fitted IEMs, the absolute last thing you want is a locking socket. If the receiver was to drop off your belt and hurtle to wards the floor, you are going to end up with sore ears... and even worse, the two prong attachment on your very expensive custom IEMs will get bent - most likely broken...

You best call them all and tell them that they are making toys, not suitable for serious gigging.

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1485258658' post='3222491']
The older I get, the less I move around so that would not be a huge issue for me :)
[/quote]

My experience of them is that if you have to keep plugging and unplugging them, they sockets eventually fail. Also the cable tends to be thin a weedy and prone to damage simply through normal use. And of course if you replace it with something more substantial you add to the strain on the socket which makes it even more liable to failure. The only 3.5mm connectors I've had that have been completely reliable were those that were plugged in once and then never touched again.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1485259916' post='3222518']
You best call them all and tell them that they are making toys, not suitable for serious gigging.
[/quote]

Which is of course what they are doing.

IME any connector used in a gigging situation that doesn't lock securely into place is a failure just waiting to happen. I would include the 1/4" Jack in that category as well. It doesn't matter too much if it is just the cable connectors that fail as they can simply be replaced with one of the spares you are carrying, but it's generally the cassis-mounted socket that bears the brunt of the wear and that's far less easy to fix at short notice.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1485260459' post='3222533']
Which is of course what they are doing.

IME any connector used in a gigging situation that doesn't lock securely into place is a failure just waiting to happen. I would include the 1/4" Jack in that category as well. It doesn't matter too much if it is just the cable connectors that fail as they can simply be replaced with one of the spares you are carrying, but it's generally the cassis-mounted socket that bears the brunt of the wear and that's far less easy to fix at short notice.
[/quote]

Easier to fix a chassis mounted socket than a snapped two pin connector in a custom IEM.

I think you need to be sensible here. If the failure rate was that high (which it isn't) there would be a change in design.