Why become a member? ×

New Sadowsky stock update!

CHRISDABASS

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='306010' date='Oct 14 2008, 09:17 AM']I like the look of these two

But all the Sad's I've ever tried have sounded a little too crisp compared to my other instruments.[/quote]

I thought this myself for a while but was that when you were playing solo? For some reason they seem to sound not so good solo but awesome in a band situation, I think it may be this crispness that does that. The other thing of course is that the VTC (vintage tone control) goes a long way too taming the sound somewhat.

Lovely instruments!! Just as well I have spent all my money :)

Steve

These instock updates keep me going until my custom arrives in '09. I'm counting down the days already.

If I was going to buy new from the current "in stock" page I'd get this one (no co-incidence, it's a 4 string version of the 5 I have on order):

4 string, 7lbs, and it's gotta have mega rock tone. I'd bring the rock with it.

[quote name='birdy' post='306033' date='Oct 14 2008, 09:59 AM']I thought this myself for a while but was that when you were playing solo? For some reason they seem to sound not so good solo but awesome in a band situation, I think it may be this crispness that does that. The other thing of course is that the VTC (vintage tone control) goes a long way too taming the sound somewhat.[/quote]
Fair enough, I've yet to try a Sad in a band situation. :)

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='305946' date='Oct 14 2008, 06:51 AM']check this out!!

[url="http://www.sadowsky.com/stock/nyc_b_is.html"]http://www.sadowsky.com/stock/nyc_b_is.html[/url]

the first 2 on the page are really getting me GASing!!!

argh!!!!!!!!!!

:)

lol[/quote]
Why must you show me such things!!
:huh:

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='306044' date='Oct 14 2008, 10:16 AM']Fair enough, I've yet to try a Sad in a band situation. :)[/quote]

I would highly recommend it. They are one of the nicest sounding basses you can get when mixed in with a band whether live or on record. I think its that sharpness or crispness that adds a certain something when mixed with other sounds. There are certainly a lot of session players who swear by them.

Steve

I was fortunate enough to get to try a few Sadowskys out in Guitar Guitar. Well set up, decent strings, great sound!

But no more than a good or great J-bass IMO. I appreciate that there is a lot more time and care put into them than the average jazz bass, and that you're guaranteed a great playing J (or P, or PJ) if you buy one, but (for me) it's a hefty price tag for a top brand name and a well put together jazz. If you actually take the time to have a look around, you can find great jazz basses. It just sometimes takes a bit of work, that's all.

Mark

Really? From what I've heard there isn't a whole lot between the Metros and the NYCs? Anyone else got any experience with this?

On a similar note, I have to confess, when I tried the Nordy's, they were very nice but no more than my very nice workhorse jazz. And mine was substantially cheaper even with all the modifications I've made to it. I don't struggle to see why boutique jazzes are popular, I just wouldn't spend my money on them.

Mark

Just googled sadowsky and warmoth and found this like you mention: -

[quote]1) Several people have posted and commented that Sadowsky uses Warmoth parts. I would like to address this for what I hope will be the last time. I did use some Warmoth parts during the 80's and have ordered an occasional neck from them for some of our repair customers during the years. However, Sadowsky has not used any Warmoth necks or bodies on their basses for at least the last 10 years.

2) Regarding subcontractors....Many instrument companies use subcontractors. It is very difficult to balance quality and maintain costs. If we were making every body by "hand" (which no one really does), costs would be absurdly high and consistancy would be very low. The average cost of a CNC machine (a computerized carving machine), with software, is about $125,000.00. Because that is beyond the means of most of us "smaller" guys, there are companies that own these machines who make parts for the "rest of us". Sadowsky, Lakland, Lull, Turner and lots more of us use various subcontractors. I know this takes some of the "romanticism" out of the process for you, but that is the way it is.

Regarding our electronics---when you go through hundreds of circuits a year, you don't hand wire each one by hand. You design the circuit, make the prototype, and then you outsource it to a shop than just makes circuit boards!

I had to make an important decision about 20 years ago. I could set up shop where I could do all the woodworking by myself. This would have meant locating where there are very few professional players. Instead, I chose to locate in the middle of Manhattan, where the top players could easily get to my shop. As long as I had good subcontractors I could depend on, I felt it more important to have the one-on-one and the indespensible feedback from the top players. This was also motivated by the fact that I still do a lot of repair and restoration work. I have never regretted this decision. It is hard to make a "working musician's" instrument if you don't have many working musicians to interact with.

I build a Fender style instrument because that is what my clientele demands of me. 20 years ago, it was almost impossible to walk into a studio in NYC with anything other than a Fender. In fact the Union directory had two bass listings: Upright Bass and Fender Bass! All electric basses were referred to as Fender bass. There was a great deal of pressure on the bassists to only bring a Fender to a session.

If I had a couple of million dollars, I could set up my own manufacturing facility outside of the city, but I can only be in one place at one time so it works just as well to use the subcontractors.

Keep the following in mind: We purchase all of our wood directly. We hand build all of the "prototypes" that get sent to the subcontractor. We own all of the fixturing and programming. We continuously monitor the quality of our parts to be sure they are worthy of the Sadowsky name.

The bodies come into our shop unsanded. We do all of the edge contouring, finish sanding and hand fit every neck pocket to get a perfect fit to out necks. Many of our bodies get additional routing and shaping done in our shop.

The necks come in unsanded. We true each fingerboard one at a time, fret the necks, dress the frets, finish sand the necks, and spray the necks. On custom orders, we hand shape the neck too.

Our assembly process is impeccable with regard to the quality of our components and workmanship.

So I hope you can see that we definetly are a "hands-on" shop. I could not have achieved the reputation I have if I were simply buying a neck and body and "screwing them together". I think anyone who has had the opportunity to play a Sadowsky can appreciate the quality of the instrument. That doesn't mean they are for everyone---instrument choice is very subjective. What is nice is that all of us....Sadowsky, Lakland, Mike Tobias, Spector, Fodera, etc....all have lots of players that think we make the best instrument in the world! It's kind of perfect that way---don't you think? You don't have to disparage the other builders just because you prefer someone else's instruments.

Lastly, many people speculate on this forum about issues related to Sadowsky without ever bothering to email me directly with their question. I am here and I am happy to answer all of your emails individually.

Hope this clears things up for some of you.

Sincerely,

Roger Sadowsky[/quote]

[quote name='mcgraham' post='306064' date='Oct 14 2008, 10:46 AM']Really? From what I've heard there isn't a whole lot between the Metros and the NYCs? Anyone else got any experience with this?

On a similar note, I have to confess, when I tried the Nordy's, they were very nice but no more than my very nice workhorse jazz. And mine was substantially cheaper even with all the modifications I've made to it. I don't struggle to see why boutique jazzes are popular, I just wouldn't spend my money on them.

Mark[/quote]

hey!!

i have a metro UV70 and an NYC vinatge! ive got to say they are the best basses ive ever owned and ive had a hell of a lot!! (including A LOT OF FENDERS!!)

yes they are expensive but to me they are worth every penny! if a bass can make you smile every time you pick it up to play, record, gig etc then sadowsky have to be doing something right.

on the 2 basses that i own it would be hard to tell which was a metro and which was the NYC! the quality really is that good!

this is the first time in my playing life that ive had so many compliments on my sound! especially in the recording studio! and also the first time that im not worrying about any element of my instrument! everything about them is the best quality, solid and extremely road worthy! so i can just concentrate on my playing!! :)

All i have to worry about now is how to get the money together for my next one!! lol

Edited by CHRISDABASS