Why become a member? ×

Cable keeps popping out of amp during gigs. Help!

vinorange

I only got the TF amp 2 weeks back so the planet waves cable isn't responsible for stretching the input socket.

However I've ordered a couple of right angle neutrik 1/4"s so that if in any doubt gaffa tape will hole the jack ion at the right angle.

I may of course be flapping about nothing now as once sitting it's Gator rack then it may be more immune to vibrations.

The planet waves jacks are slightly fatter btw. That may mean my guitar jacks are now a bit floppy as I've certainly had them a while.

New cables may be the answer. Not sure why I need the isolation switch now anyway....................

[quote name='pineweasel' timestamp='1480342357' post='3183512']
This is the first I've heard of Planet Waves jacks being larger than standard. Are we talking about diameter or length?
[/quote]

Me neither. Why on earth would anyone go to the trouble of tooling up to make a slightly oversized version of a decades-old, internationally standard connector? Sounds like utter crap to me - either the story or the connectors. Either way, I'll certainly be avoiding anything from Planet Waves in the future!

[quote name='Downdown' timestamp='1480361458' post='3183738']
Me neither. Why on earth would anyone go to the trouble of tooling up to make a slightly oversized version of a decades-old, internationally standard connector? Sounds like utter crap to me - either the story or the connectors. Either way, I'll certainly be avoiding anything from Planet Waves in the future!
[/quote]

All very intriguing. I got out my micrometer and measured the jack diameter of the cables I have to hand:

Planet Waves: 6.33mm
Fender: 6.25mm
Cheap no-brand: 6.20mm
Neutrik: 6.30mm

The Planet Waves is actually closest to the standard of 1/4", which is 6.35mm.

For what it's worth I've mainly used the PW cables for years now with no apparent problems.

Edited by pineweasel

I use a Planet Waves cable(switched) so I can change from BG to EUB silently and it works great but the jack does not fit tightly in the Bose PA we use.The socket on the Bose is a combination XLR and standard and I have had the plug come out of the socket.I now use the same cable but put it through a DI box and use the XLR cable from the box to go to the Bose-problem solved.I had tried a Neutrik silent plug cable but it does not work properly with active pickups which are on both of my instruments.The Planet Waves cable works with passive or active systems.I don't know if my Neutrik jack is faulty but it didn't work for me-the cable was new when I bought it so it should have been OK.I tried the Planet Waves cable in my amp and it does not fit as tightly as other standard jacks-who would have guessed.Maybe I should change the amp end of the cable.

It would appear that the term 1/4-inch (6.35mm) jack refers to the diameter of the hole in the socket. If you have a plug of the same size it is never going to fit so jack plugs have to have a diameter of less than 6.35mm. How much tolerance is down to individual manufacturers.

[quote name='Staggering on' timestamp='1480369372' post='3183859']
I had tried a Neutrik silent plug cable but it does not work properly with active pickups which are on both of my instruments.The Planet Waves cable works with passive or active systems.I don't know if my Neutrik jack is faulty but it didn't work for me-the cable was new when I bought it so it should have been OK.I tried the Planet Waves cable in my amp and it does not fit as tightly as other standard jacks-who would have guessed.Maybe I should change the amp end of the cable.
[/quote]

Neutrik say on their web site that Silent jacks are not recommended for active instruments. This is because the ring connection in the jack is used to power the onboard pre-amp. As you insert the jack the pre-amp is powered and is charging its capacitors at the same time as the muting comes off resulting in noise through the amp.

[quote name='obbm' timestamp='1480369918' post='3183867']
It would appear that the term 1/4-inch (6.35mm) jack refers to the diameter of the hole in the socket. If you have a plug of the same size it is never going to fit so jack plugs have to have a diameter of less than 6.35mm. How much tolerance is down to individual manufacturers.
[/quote]
According to Wikipedia it's the plug diameter: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phone_connector_(audio)

[quote name='pineweasel' timestamp='1480372050' post='3183910']
According to Wikipedia it's the plug diameter: [url="https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phone_connector_(audio"]https://en.m.wikiped...onnector_(audio[/url])
[/quote]

According to Switchcraft it's the socket. I know who I believe.

[quote name='obbm' timestamp='1480369918' post='3183867']
[/quote]

That makes more sense and, of course, the socket design will accommodate some tolerance in the plug size by nature of the design. Maybe we're being too hard on Planet Waves.

Also, as previously mentioned, the sockets can become 'faulty' by virtue of the spring contact(s) becoming less springy. I've replaced many a bass and guitar socket for this very reason.

If I was the OP, I'd look into finding a replacement socket. I appreciate it will likely be PCB mounted but replacement is straightforward for anyone used to such things and certainly any amp tech worthy of the name.

[quote name='obbm' timestamp='1480370180' post='3183870']
Neutrik say on their web site that Silent jacks are not recommended for active instruments. This is because the ring connection in the jack is used to power the onboard pre-amp. As you insert the jack the pre-amp is powered and is charging its capacitors at the same time as the muting comes off resulting in noise through the amp.
[/quote]
Unfortunately the person in the shop that sold me the cable(for over $40.00Canadian) did not know this.Before I ordered the Planet Waves cable I emailed them and they assured me their plug works with active and silent and silent pickups and it does but I have also had issues with the jack coming loose in the combination socket (XLR and standard)of the Bose PA we use and it does not fit tightly in my amp.I solved the PA problem by going to a DI box and then XLR into the PA-problem solved for now but I guess I should change the amp end jack to simplify things.I just looked at the Neutrik site and couldn't find the information you refer to above-is it well hidden or am I missing something.

edit-I did notice that unplugging the Neutrik was silent but when plugging in it made some noise but with my practice amp at home it wasn't very loud . At the first gig using the PA it was very noticeable and annoying to say the least.Live and learn.

Edited by Staggering on

[quote name='Staggering on' timestamp='1480372820' post='3183924']
Unfortunately the person in the shop that sold me the cable(for over $40.00Canadian) did not know this.Before I ordered the Planet Waves cable I emailed them and they assured me their plug works with active and silent and silent pickups and it does but I have also had issues with the jack coming loose in the combination socket (XLR and standard)of the Bose PA we use and it does not fit tightly in my amp.I solved the PA problem by going to a DI box and then XLR into the PA-problem solved for now but I guess I should change the amp end jack to simplify things.I just looked at the Neutrik site and couldn't find the information you refer to above-is it well hidden or am I missing something.
[/quote]

Paragraph headed Attention [url="http://www.neutrik.co.uk/en-uk/plugs-jacks/silentplug/np2rx-au-silent"]http://www.neutrik.co.uk/en-uk/plugs-jacks/silentplug/np2rx-au-silent[/url]

All this leads (no pun intended) me to believe that I need to change the PCB mount input socket and I'm minded to change to a neutrik locking socket for good measure.
There is no way to bend tangs or contacts on the current socket.

Also it appears that some of my other jacks are very slightly longer which allows them to seat home correctly and not come out as the PW cable appears to.under the feintest of touch.

Over the last 10 years using planet waves cables I've never had this trouble. Common denomination must mean the input socket needs changing.
Out with the soldering iron, head torch and glasses it is then......

[quote name='obbm' timestamp='1480373006' post='3183927']
Paragraph headed Attention [url="http://www.neutrik.co.uk/en-uk/plugs-jacks/silentplug/np2rx-au-silent"]http://www.neutrik.c...np2rx-au-silent[/url]
[/quote]
Thanks-I didn't read far enough down the page.I did mention the problem with this cable in another thread a while back but hadn't seen that info.Buyer beware,all switched plugs are not the same,read the fine print or ask the maker.

Another thing I've thought of; is the collar or nut on the socket done up properly? If it's proud this could stop the plugs being pushed all the way in so the spring clip doesn't actually go over the tip and lock the plug in. Worth checking?

Edited by TimR

Well the collar of the socket does sit proud of the nut and does seem to stop the jack seating home properly - but the PW jack does seem slightly shorter than some of my others. The proud collar would exacerbate that.

I was considering a gentle trim of the socket collar to allow the jack to go in slightly deeper.
It may be all I need to do to avoid any change of cable / socket.............I wonder if I should try that first with my dremel or a hack saw.

[quote name='vinorange' timestamp='1480410981' post='3184066']
I was considering a gentle trim of the socket collar to allow the jack to go in slightly deeper.
It may be all I need to do to avoid any change of cable / socket.............I wonder if I should try that first with my dremel or a hack saw.
[/quote]
Nooooooooooo. . . . have you tried other cables yet?

If the socket is soldered directly on to the board you might break the joint and cause more damage.

Identify the actual cause of the problem before you start hacking away at this fantastic and expensive amp!

Edited by chris_b

The collar of the input socket on my TF is slightly proud of the nut. Not by a lot but it's there.

You say your old cables "stay in a little better". What does that mean? Do they stay in or only pop out now and again? Does anchoring the cables at the amp end fix the problem? If it does then the cable is at fault and you don't have to damage the amp in order to fix the problem.

I just threw away an old and cheap instrument cable because it didn't fit any of my basses properly and caused noise when the cable was hanging between the bass and the amp. My OBBM cables don't have any of these problems.

Well the collar of the socket does sit proud of the nut and does seem to stop the jack seating home properly - but the PW jack does seem slightly shorter than some of my others. The proud collar would exacerbate that.

[/quote]

I wasn't suggesting trimming it, just making sure that it was all assembled correctly.

But you still haven't answered whether it's a new or a second hand amp.

If it's new SEND IT BACK!

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1480414123' post='3184106']
Nooooooooooo. . . . have you tried other cables yet?

If the socket is soldered directly on to the board you might break the joint and cause more damage.

Identify the actual cause of the problem before you start hacking away at this fantastic and expensive amp!
[/quote]

This, this , THIS!!!! SO VERY VERY THIS!!!!!

It may be [i][b]all I need to do to avoid any change of cable[/b][/i] / socket.............I wonder if I should try that first with my dremel or a hack saw.
[/quote]

Risking hundreds of dollars damage to an expensive amp to avoid spending ten or twenty dollars on a new cable really shouldn't be plan A, or B or any letter higher than Z!!!