Why become a member? ×

Vintage icon fretless bass

dudi8

It all rather depends on what you want to achieve. I've got one, and beyond changing the strings and giving it a good setup, the only thing I'd do is refinish the body :) (I'm not a great fan of relicing, but for the price, the bass was too good to pass up).

From my experience, Vintage basses are very well put together and the Wilkinson parts they use are well thought of around here.

I wouldn't go replacing the electronics unless they really aren't giving you the sound you want, but at the end of the day it is your bass and you can do whatever you please :)

Happy modding!

[quote name='dudi8' timestamp='1479756275' post='3179049']
Hi all!
i just bought a vintage icon fretless bass (jaco style), and I'm thinking of modifying it
any advice how? (which pickups, preamp,epoxy coating)

Thanks!
[/quote]My first bass was a Vintage V something or other. I can't remember the model number. But it was a 5 string and it was made of Bubinga. You can guess the rest. They are superb instruments. Mine was before the Wilkinson pickups were available. It had a jazz bass and a P pickup. Sounded huge.

Does it have a preamp.? If not just change the pickups to Dmarzio ultra jazz. It will sound great. I put a Dmarzio jazz and a Lollar P pickup in my old Vintage and it sounded very cool. I wouldn't worry about epoxy. Don't bother.

[quote name='SisterAbdullahX' timestamp='1479932386' post='3180435']
Er, you sure?
[/quote]

Yes. At 6:27 to 6:39 you see him sand the super glue off to the point of only showing up a few low points.

At 7:09 to 7:17 he is buffing up the high gloss cyanacrylate finish.

[quote name='dudi8' timestamp='1480027828' post='3181211']
I ordered Seymour Duncan weather report pickups, and I will make an epoxy coat for the fingerboard :)
[/quote]

You only need the epoxy if you're going to use the roughest of all rough stainless steel roundwounds on it!! But as a Jaco tribute it's important I suspect - and would help you not to wear holes in your fretboard before too long if you're going to use the strings Jaco was said to have used.

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='dudi8' timestamp='1480027828' post='3181211']
I ordered Seymour Duncan weather report pickups, and I will make an epoxy coat for the fingerboard :)
[/quote]

I'd be interested in those pickups you're removing, I had the same bass and those pickups were lovely.

[quote name='dazza14' timestamp='1480076655' post='3181467']
I'd be interested in those pickups you're removing, I had the same bass and those pickups were lovely.
[/quote]
cool, i will talk to you when the weather report pickups arrive (aprox 2 weeks)

[quote name='SisterAbdullahX' timestamp='1480356852' post='3183670']

Well, I never knew that! Learn something new everyday.
[/quote]
He was testing blocks of perspex and one recipe batch wouldn't set - he threw those in a pile and found a few minutes later that they had stuck together - the first intended use was on the battlefield gluing wounds together to keep them clean till a proper exam could be done - when I cut my face they stuck the edges together with glue

• 3 weeks later...

First stage is complete, polyester coating, looks great and sounds even better!
the weather report pickups should arrive this week :)
To be honest, the bass straight out of the box sounded wayyyy better than i expected, thats a lot of bass for the cash!

• 3 weeks later...

i didnt do it, i gave to a luthier to do it, i find it brings more mwah , its very thick, i like the sound and feel it gives, i had also epoxy on my fender jaco signature and custom one which had the same effect

[quote name='uk_lefty' timestamp='1483906806' post='3211065']
How did you do the polyester coat? What has it brought to the sound?
[/quote]