Why become a member? ×

I know times are tough for retail...but?!?!

Musicman20

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1478557181' post='3169948']
Indeed the pound dropping has actually benefited the UK economy. Our goods are now more competitive.
[/quote]

I'm waiting for someone to realise that one of the strongest economies is about to leave the EU, and revises the value of the Euro accordingly.

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1478560019' post='3169984']
Sounds like you are heading for health problems with such a bleak outlook on life. It might not happen yet
[/quote]

My health is fine, i've never felt healthier. I admire your positivity but from where i'm standing, my outlook is not bleak, it's realistic. Again - tell the guy in the rubber dinghy at the top of the waterfall to cheer up, it might never happen. Yes, there might be a random branch sticking out somewhere and he might be ok, but his chances are slim.

Crap analogy aside, things are unlikely to magically be ok just because Nissan sell 3 more Micras in the U.K. this year. The fact that the UK is clinging on to the car industry for hope is in itself a great cause for concern, and shows how backward the country is at a time when we are facing climate catastrophe and by now we should be way beyond finding ways to reduce pollution. We are so unbelievably shafted it's actually staggering, and i am shocked on a daily basis that people can't see this. Anyway back to basses.

Ignore the fact that a few months ago it was cheaper. The questions remains the same for the purchase of the bass (or any instrument) "It is going to cost £x, can I afford it and is it worth £x to me?" If the answer is "yes/yes" then you have a purchase, if not you don't. Doesn't matter whether the instrument costs £250 or £2,500 the basic questions are the same. Sure it would be nice if it was cheaper but it isn't so that's irrelevant to the purchase decision.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1478533071' post='3169658']
C'mon...what on EARTH is going on.

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/music-man-stingray-classic-4-classic-natural/40030?gclid=CISQzp_8ltACFUS4Gwodkk8PrQ

I've been looking at a Musicman guitar, and it's risen by £300 in a few weeks. It's now out of my range,

It isn't a dig at the manufacturer...it seems to be everywhere.

I know a big reason is the £, but this surely will just kill sales.
[/quote]

My Old Smoothie was over £2K just a week ago - but ordered months ago - I was really pleased to get it without an increase from the same shop. I could have ordered it elsewhere for a little bit cheaper but I suspect I wouldn't have it now if I had (there are only 4 in the country right now).

In these days when people with the rhetoric of Alf Garnett are popular politicians or prospective presidents (whereas say in the 70s such people were considered a rather dangerous joke with only limited popular support) a 15% price hike in everything with little or no wage increase is probably just the tip of the iceberg. Just don't be surprised by anything!! The exchange rate situation is all about people having confidence to invest - You clearly have confidence to invest in a new Musicman - and why not, they're cracking instruments which you can't go wrong with.

Note that for the US price you would need to add 20% for VAT plus import duty on top, plus the cost of bulk shipping, running a distribution operation and if it's not an Internet site, a bit more to pay for the shop operation.it adds up.

When I collected my Musicman they had a rather lovely sunburst Musicman PJ (Cutlass) on the wall along with several Stingrays, and a really nice Custom Shop relic Precision in trans blond - in fact it looks a place to spend an afternoon noodling!!!

You may be able to pick up a Classic in natural used - but as has been said, used prices are up also, and notably Classic Stingrays in desirable colours.

Edited by drTStingray

Sorry guys - I probably need to clarify a few things.

The Musicman I was talking about that has risen in price very suddenly is the Musicman James Valentine guitar, not a bass. Originally the orders were around £2150. Now they are £2449. The pre-orders only went up a few months ago, during (approx.) the vote/result.

Then, I decided to see if it is across the range...as I usually have a broad idea of what the prices are.

A Classic Stingray in Natural used to be around £1799 about 18 months ago, depending where you shop. This jumped to around £1999, then continued to rise and then hit £2499.

To put that into perspective even more, I have a Classic Stingray 5, which is the reason I picked the Classic to see what was going on. I did get a great price new, I admit, and the store said they were still getting a healthy sale, but it was almost £900 less than the current price of the 4 string now....and it's not that long ago.

I think that makes sense. Thanks for the advice on a used one....if I was shopping around that is where my money would go now.

It's quite funny that vinyl on Amazon is actually cheaper every now and then.

Also, to look at other products, those that collect the expensive Lego sets (don't laugh - these expensive sets can be worth a fortune in a matter of 3-4 years!), they havent' risen in price. Maybe they will.

I am glad I don't work in music instrument retail. They are going to have a very hard time now.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1478599238' post='3170113']
Anyone looking should snap this up now..

[url="http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_guitars_detail.asp?stock=160608298360007-495685"]http://www.guitargui...98360007-495685[/url]
[/quote]

Yep! They've knocked £0.99 off the price! Who said discounting was over? :)

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1478602753' post='3170146']
I've taken some Brexit posts out here. We've had the debate and it is over.

Anymore and I'll lock the topic.
[/quote]

Without wanting to stir too much, if this is the Basschat consensus then you are probably going to have to lock and delete every new thread concerning price rises for gear made outside of the UK, as whether you like it or not it is entirely down to the B.. word situation.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1478602924' post='3170150']
Without wanting to stir too much, if this is the Basschat consensus then you are probably going to have to lock and delete every new thread concerning price rises for gear made outside of the UK, as whether you like it or not it is entirely down to the B.. word situation.
[/quote]

Fine. Life is too short