Why become a member? ×

I know times are tough for retail...but?!?!

Musicman20

C'mon...what on EARTH is going on.

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/music-man-stingray-classic-4-classic-natural/40030?gclid=CISQzp_8ltACFUS4Gwodkk8PrQ

I've been looking at a Musicman guitar ( a Valentine, not this Classic Ray), and it's risen by £300 in a few weeks. It's now out of my range. Hence, I looked around at the range, and it's all bumped up....and this model by a lot more).

It isn't a dig at the manufacturer...it seems to be everywhere.

I know a big reason is the £, but this surely will just kill sales.

Edited by Musicman20

It's almost all down the the thing we're not allowed to talk about - shame really but it's something we're going to have to get used to.

Depending on what happens tomorrow that's either going to get even more expensive or you might get lucky & the $ will crash back down again (a bit).

People like to blame the B****t nonsense for everything but I don't think that has a lot to do with American instruments. The pound has been widely reported as being artificially high in value for too long. Just resetting everything and it means lots of things will cost more.

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1478536212' post='3169685']
People like to blame the B****t nonsense for everything but I don't think that has a lot to do with American instruments. The pound has been widely reported as being artificially high in value for too long. Just resetting everything and it means lots of things will cost more.
[/quote]

The dollar was worth 1.50, its now 1.20. It crashed on June 24th. It's got a lot to do with it surely ?

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1478537175' post='3169694']
I'm looking to make, what is for me, a fairly major bass purchase in January.

It seems like every day I'm watching the prices of the basses I'm considering creep up.
[/quote]

I'd consider putting in on hold. Just my thoughts on it.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1478538115' post='3169708']

I'd consider putting in on hold. Just my thoughts on it.
[/quote]

I've considered it, but if people are right about the pound finding it's natural level after being overvalued I think things will get worse before they get better.

That and I'm really bad at delayed gratification.

Edited by Cato

i was window shopping at Thomann yesterday...I had 3 items in my basket...I left it last night at £187...this moring I thought sod it I'll buy...went to checkout...price jumped to £232...

had to decide that was too much....so didn't bother...now frustrated

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1478539320' post='3169725']

I've considered it, but if people are right about the pound finding it's natural level after being overvalued I think things will get worse before they get better.

That and I'm really bad at delayed gratification.
[/quote]

I don't personally think it was. It dropped, as we know, straight after *ahem*....

Gosh, no idea what is going to happen. I intend to only buy pedals now anyway so it's not QUITE as bad.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1478536925' post='3169692']
The dollar was worth 1.50, its now 1.20. It crashed on June 24th. It's got a lot to do with it surely ?
[/quote]

Not in this post-truth society - "the people" are fed-up of experts telling them things they don't understand, they just want to take the power back :-/

Not that we're talking about that or anything.

I just bought the US election into it because I'm going on holiday next week where the currency is kind of USD - so was unsure as to whether either person winning would make the dollar fall or rise. It seems no one knows!

I think a lot of the prices we're seeing now are 'old' stock, ie. stuff that retailers got in before the pound crashed, I reckon things will get even more expensive as they buy in more stuff. As an example some stores are selling some Yamaha BB1024xises for £733 whilst others, at the same store, are listed at £810, both prices are a fair whack more than what they cost this time last year.

The latest MiM deluxe precision is already way more than I would have considered paying a year ago.

Edited by Cato

I suspect a lot of companies are taking the opportunity for a spot of profiteering... even Walkers crisps are considering a price hike of 12% on good manufactured in the UK... but of course, Walkers is owned by Pepsico, so there's an argument about strength against the company's native currency... You can guarantee what ever happens re:europe and the value of the pound, any return to the strength of the pound will never be reflected in the price of goods in the UK.

If only we grew the potatoes that they use for Walkers crisps in the UK...

Their response? It's because they import the oil and seasoning... :yarr:

Can you imagine Apple reversing the price hikes on their Macs?

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1478540374' post='3169742']
Can you imagine Apple reversing the price hikes on their Macs?
[/quote]

They have actually reduced them when the exchange rate went down, as I bought one after it went down £50 in a correction. I don't think we will be seeing that in a long time.

Not to put a dampener on things, but this is just the beginning, everyone - the 'thing' we don't mention hasn't actually started yet, this just a bit of a gentle fluctuation due to international anxiety coupled with a touch of opportunism. Get ready for a nice long descent into the abyss once it does start. That extra 300 will seem like the good old days soon, but basses will be the least of our worries by then.

I don't understand how Brexit (which is nowhere near happening) has devalued sterling so much and yet America is about to elect one of 2 shockingly bad candidates as President tomorrow and the $ isn't worth 10p.

Edited by Japhet

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1478542069' post='3169759']
Not to put a dampener on things, but this is just the beginning, everyone - the 'thing' we don't mention hasn't actually started yet, this just a bit of a gentle fluctuation due to international anxiety coupled with a touch of opportunism. Get ready for a nice long descent into the abyss once it does start. That extra 300 will seem like the good old days soon, but basses will be the least of our worries by then.
[/quote]Maybe, but not certain