Why become a member? ×

What to pair with a Warwick Hellborg power amp

Jazzjames

What would you pair with this for a preamp? I'm only after preamps that fit in a 1u rack space. I'd dearly love to get my hands on an Aguilar DB659 but I can't find one anywhere.... At the moment I'm using my tonehammer as the preamp.

For those who are curious, this thing is a total beast. It weighs about 21kg(!) but when it's up and running the sound is just glorious. In a rack case it's not so bad to move about. It no more difficult to move around than my DB112s. Apparently, the Tonehammer and the Hellborg are both rated at 500w, but they are on different planets in real terms. I still love my Tonehammer though!

James

Edited by Jazzjames

[quote name='ryancowell25' timestamp='1478030375' post='3166229']
Have you not considered the Hellborg Pre-amp?....... I have one and they are stunning..... always wanted to try it with the poweramp
[/quote]

+1. The obvious choice.

PS. There's film on YT of Larry Carlton's son playing through the full Hellborg set up and his tone is epic.

Edited by Dan Dare

The Hellborg set up was designed primarily for acoustic playing and has MASSIVE amounts of headroom for a super high fidelity experience. This means the transients from piezo pickups pop cleanly and with less compression than other run of the mill rigs. It sounds hyper real to the untrained ear.

So if you don't go for the full set up, you only get the benefits from the parts you have if each non Hellborg component in the signal chain is also capable of massive headroom - the principle of weakest links in the signal chain applies from your fingers to the speakers.

Have you not considered the Hellborg Pre-amp?....... I have one and they are stunning..... always wanted to try it with the poweramp
[/quote]

Finding one at the right price is the tricky bit, but if one came up second hand, sure.

[/quote] +1

Or if you can't find one think studio type preamp rather than a bass guitar type preamp.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1478051549' post='3166421']
So if you don't go for the full set up, you only get the benefits from the parts you have if each non Hellborg component in the signal chain is also capable of massive headroom - the principle of weakest links in the signal chain applies from your fingers to the speakers.
[/quote]

Headroom is much more of an issue for power amps and speakers. At instrument and preamp signal levels your talking about signal-to-noise ratio (or dynamic range) and most decent quality modern gear has plenty of it, well the solid state stuff at least - valve preamps can vary a lot more in their s/n ratio.

Edited by bassman7755