Why become a member? ×

Feedback Etiquette

Hutton

Here, I always leave feedback (unless I forget - which I don't think I do, but how would I know?).

On eBay, not so much - it's too obviously a business tool and too fiddly and prescriptive. I leave feedback because I dealt [u]with a person[/u].

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1476010133' post='3150365']
Here, I always leave feedback (unless I forget - which I don't think I do, but how would I know?).

On eBay, not so much - it's too obviously a business tool and too fiddly and prescriptive. I leave feedback because I dealt [u]with a person[/u].
[/quote]

Feedback on eBay is a joke. Did I imagine you are not able to leave negative feedback easily anymore, have to jump through hoops e.t.c.?

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1475999796' post='3150264']
It used to annoy me not getting feedback but not anymore I just put it down to people not bothering such is life but I always leave feeback for others
[/quote]
Yes it's annoying but hey, life is too short

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1476015775' post='3150426']

Feedback on eBay is a joke. Did I imagine you are not able to leave negative feedback easily anymore, have to jump through hoops e.t.c.?
[/quote]
If you're a buyer it's as easy as it ever was

Only once have I been slightly annoyed although annoyed is too strong a word, at not getting feedback. When I sold a fender mustang bass on here a few months back. And the guy give me a glowing feedback via pm and not in my feedback thread despite me messaging him a link to it etc.
It wasn't a cheap item and it would of been one of those things that people take note of in a feedback thread.
If I'm selling something be it something cheap or expensive I go our my way to package things properly so feedback is appreciated.

If I'm the buyer of something I'm not too concerned about being left feedback although it is nice to have.

If I'm after buying something on BC, the first thing I do (if I don't know the member) is check their feedback. It gives me an insight into what they're like to deal with as a buyer and seller and If people don't bother to leave it, that all breaks down. I've always left feedback as a buyer (I've rarely sold anything on here) as It helps others make an informed decision. It's not fool proof, but it helps.

I used to get annoyed when this wasn't reciprocated. Especially even after reminding people that I'd done theirs and would appreciate the same in return. Too busy is no excuse. We're all busy but we can all find 2 minutes to do some feedback, even if it takes a month to get round to it.

I'm one of those that tends to cut my nose off to spite my face. Always have been. Consequently, I wouldn't buy a second time from someone who couldn't be arsed to leave feedback the first time. No matter how good the deal.

As an old git, to who all this feedback malarkey is a recent, eBay inspired thing, I'd say that it isn't one's right, having sold something, to expect or demand feedback, praise, or whatever. If you offer an item for sale and someone buys it and doesn't ask for their money back, that' the end of it. You have no right to a pat on the back. If you get one, it's a bonus. You have taken their money, after all. It isn't as if you gave them a present.

The same applies if you buy from someone. You pay them for an item they own. It's a fair exchange. Praise and stroking isn't part of the deal.

Edited by Dan Dare

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1476178682' post='3151947']
The same applies if you buy from someone. You pay them for an item they own. It's a fair exchange. Praise and stroking isn't part of the deal.
[/quote]

Quite, but if you got ripped off / had a really bad experience with a sale / purchase, wouldn't it have been nice to be aware of any potential risks before entering into it? It'd be no good if you posted about your displeasure afterwards and then 10 members reply saying yeah, I had the same problem with him / her. Feedback makes up a part of what we call the Basschat community doesn't it?

Edited by leschirons

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1476188417' post='3152075']

Quite, but if you got ripped off / had a really bad experience with a sale / purchase, wouldn't it have been nice to be aware of any potential risks before entering into it? It'd be no good if you posted about your displeasure afterwards and then 10 members reply saying yeah, I had the same problem with him / her. Feedback makes up a part of what we call the Basschat community doesn't it?
[/quote]

+1

Thats my view exactly ; what's the point of having this bass community if we don't share our experiences for the benefit of others?

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1476178682' post='3151947']
As an old git, to who all this feedback malarkey is a recent, eBay inspired thing, I'd say that it isn't one's right, having sold something, to expect or demand feedback, praise, or whatever. If you offer an item for sale and someone buys it and doesn't ask for their money back, that' the end of it. You have no right to a pat on the back. If you get one, it's a bonus. You have taken their money, after all. It isn't as if you gave them a present.

[/quote]

It's nothing to do with praise or stroking or a pat on the back. It's about giving others in the community an idea of the kind of ride to expect when you (potentially) enter into a deal with a total stranger, with basically no form of redress should things go awry.

I try to always give feedback. I also don't object to being prompted if I forget, but I seldom read feedback threads before agreeing a sale or purchase.

I even trust buyer's being honest when they say they've paid to my bank account. There's many a time I've booked a courier for the goods before checking. Never been caught out yet.

I agree re. the odd instance of dodgy conduct. That's when feedback can be of value (although my experience is similar to Grangur's). However, some were objecting to not being given positive feedback. Caveat emptor should be the watchword if you are concerned. Purchasing at distance without seeing an item or meeting the seller can be risky, although 99.99999% of people are decent and honest. That's why I always collect things of any value that I buy second hand. If I miss out on an original 51 P Bass for £30 that's being sold by someone in the Russian Fed', that's just my hard luck...